Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2

e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 19 Oct 2011 03:23 #1409

Cannot get eDrive to boot using v6.03
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 19 Oct 2011 05:53 #1410

Please see the suggestions in Can't create eDrive on ext HD with Lion and TTP 6.0.3 for troubleshooting the creation of an eDrive. The thread explains how to keep the eDrive mounted so you can see what is on it.

What worked for the last person with this problem was both reinstalling TechTool Pro, and repairing permissions on the Mac OS X Source Volume, before attempting to create the eDrive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 21 Oct 2011 13:50 #1414

When installing an eDrive on any of my hard drives, all of which have plenty of free space, the installer gets stuck in the System Folder part of the install and just goes round and round in circles.
OS 10.7.2 and TT 6.0.3
Any ideas why I cannot install an eDrive?

Re: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 21 Oct 2011 14:13 #1415

further to my previous post, the eDrive installer gets hung up on -> System/Library/(keeps going in circles here)
so I have no choice but to cancel the installation at this point.

Re: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 21 Oct 2011 15:22 #1416

further to my further... I downloaded the TT pro 6.03 file from MM's site in my account, re-installed TT and tried installing an eDrive onto my boot drive. The same endless circling started up again in the System/Library folder install, so I walked away and when I came back an hour later the eDrive had been installed successfully. PATIENCE was the solution, I guess.:cheer:

Re: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 21 Oct 2011 17:35 #1419

It can appear that the program is going around in circles when copying the /System/Library folder, but in the vast majority of cases, TechTool Pro 6.0.3 does finish the task. Thanks for letting us know that patience paid off.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 22 Oct 2011 13:15 #1429

Now the problem is that when I reboot from the eDrive, open TTpro and I run Volume Rebuild I get a message saying Main Drive will not dismount, turn off any open applications. What app might be open on the Main Drive if I rebooted from the eDrive (which is installed on the Main Drive)?

Re: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 22 Oct 2011 18:45 #1430

If you boot your Macintosh from one volume and cannot unmount another volume, it is because the other volume has open files on it. You can use the "lsof" command to find the open files on a volume that does not unmount or eject. To do this, open Terminal (typically located in /Applications/Utilities) and type:

sudo lsof | grep

Leave a space after the "p" in "grep". Then drag the icon of the volume on which you want to locate the open files to the Terminal window. The pathname for the volume is pasted into the window for you. Press the Return key. Then, at the prompt, enter your administrator password and press Return.

Finding unexpected open files is frequently a problem with cloned volumes.

If the Macintosh is booted from an eDrive and the startup items copied to the eDrive are causing files to be open on the volume that served as the Mac OS X Source Volume, try logging in as another user, rather than attempting to find the open files and then the processes that have them open.

Each line of the output of the lsof command refers to one open file. The name of the process that has the file open is at the start of the line, and the complete pathname of the file is at the end.

Here is part of an earlier thread on this topic. The output of the lsof command in the following example consists of these three lines:

coreservi 68 root 10u VREG 14,32 5632 54 /Volumes/Maxtor_BU09/Desktop DB
coreservi 68 root 11u VREG 14,32 38082 55 /Volumes/Maxtor_BU09/Desktop DF
RetroRun 26448 root 25u VREG 14,32 214780244 11347 /Volumes/Maxtor_BU09/Main Backup/Maxtor_BU09.cat

You can ignore any references to DesktopDB and DesktopDF; the operating system can close them.

In the example above, the process named RetroRun shown on the last line (a process used by the Retrospect backup program) has a file named Maxtor_BU09.cat open on the volume Maxtor_BU09. The file is in a folder named Main Backup. The user quit Retrospect (either in the Finder or by using Activity Monitor, located in /Applications/Utilities) and the volume was then able to be unmounted.

Spotlight indexing can cause files to be open:

Spotlight consists of two processes, according to Bombich Forums moderator Andreas:

mdimport user process

mds root process

Any process that is launched by launchd will relaunch if you hesitate between quitting the process and unmounting the volume on which the process was running. Launchd is Apple's method of launching processes at login, and is supposed to make sure that the processes it controls are promptly relaunched if they quit or crash. For example, if you use Activity Monitor to inspect SystemUIServer, you see that its parent process (the one that launched it) is launchd:

Attachment SystemUIServerinActivityMonitor.png not found

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 24 Dec 2012 03:38 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: afajuri@mac.com

Re: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 26 Nov 2011 23:50 #1613

Thank you very much for the information.I resolved the issue removing the E-Drive and reinstalling it.After that everything works fine

Re: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 27 Nov 2011 00:06 #1617

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 01 Dec 2011 21:05 #1632

:blink:
Ditto: 10.7.2 will not allow me to install an eDrive, even after repairing permissions.....using a utility program should be seamless and easy-not adding to impending complications and frustrations.

Re: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 01 Dec 2011 23:07 #1633

Please try reinstalling TechTool Pro, as suggested above. If that does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 09 Dec 2011 00:04 #1673

Thanks for your explanation. Photostream was running on my HD - once I quit (using Activity Monitor), TechTool 6 unmounted my hard drive just fine.

Cheers!

Re: e-Drive and MacOS X 7.2 09 Dec 2011 00:25 #1674

You are welcome.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds