Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Restored files are of Alias kind

Restored files are of Alias kind 01 May 2011 20:27 #471

I have a LaCie Big 4 that's been acting up on me since I bought it 2 years ago. It decided to stop working, again, and I've been able to restore my files from it to another hard drive. The odd part is all of my .mov files are showing as Kind: Alias, but they are definitely the full .mov file because they are hug (many are 1Gig+). Any easy way to change the file Kind to not be Alias? Quicktime won't recognize them when I try to open or drag. If I double-click it wants me to find the original file.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Restored files are of Alias kind 01 May 2011 20:33 #472

See if a utility called A Better Finder Rename can change the kind attribute. I do not have any experience with using it to change anything other than creation times.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Restored files are of Alias kind 01 May 2011 20:44 #473

Also, take a look at FileTyper. Check the system requirements, because this program has not been updated in a while.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Restored files are of Alias kind 01 May 2011 22:28 #474

I have MacPilot and it worked to get rid of the Alias. It looks like a Quicktime file with the .mov icon, and the file sizes are correct (from a few MB to over a Gig each), but I can't get Quicktime or Final Cut Pro to recognize them as movie files. It says the file cannot be opened... this is not a movie file.

The way I recovered these files was to go into Tools-->Data Recovery--> select Drives tab and search for files starting with a, b, c, etc. Is there a better way to see the files? Is there another way to access and recover the files through TechTool Pro 5? The drive won't appear on my desktop. It appears the Final Cut Pro and Motion files are also not being recognized, even though the file appears to be normal (and those didn't recover as Aliases).

Re: Restored files are of Alias kind 01 May 2011 22:47 #475

If you had the Protection feature turned on for the volume before the problem developed, you would use the Protection tab, and select in it the appropriate backup of the disk directory. The Protection feature works best if you have it configured (in the TechTool Protection system preferences pane) to save the backup of the disk directory for each volume to that volume and to one other volume, preferably on another drive.
You should review the section for Data Recovery in the manual, starting on page 6.10.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Restored files are of Alias kind 17 May 2011 11:17 #573

Got the same problem. protection feature was not on. in fact tech tool was installed after my drive got corrupt. no all my movie files retrieved are alias but with the same size of the original. pls let me know how convert them to original and work with them.

Re: Restored files are of Alias kind 17 May 2011 11:30 #574

Pls let me know if you found any solution.

Re: Restored files are of Alias kind 17 May 2011 17:43 #575

If the files simply have the "kind" field shown as alias, but have the size of the original file, you can change the kind field from "alias" to "mov" using the utility mentioned above, A Better Finder Rename. If the files are the size of an alias, there is no solution.

If the original file was recovered without using the Protection feature, then it was recovered without using directory information. If the original file had been fragmented, recovering it without using directory data is likely to recover only the first piece of the file, which is why the file will not work. There is no way for any automatic recovery process to assembly pieces of a fragmented file without making use of directory data.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 17 May 2011 17:47 by micromattech3.

Re: Restored files are of Alias kind 17 May 2011 22:08 #577

Just an update from when I started this topic... I was able to remove the "alias" designation using MacPilot. The icon changed to a normal video icon. The size is DEFINITELY the full movie, but NOTHING would recognize it. I tried double-clicking, opening from within iMovie and Final Cut Pro, dragging into several different video convertors programs. Keep getting message that it's not a valid movie file. And my source hard drive died before I could try a different program for extracting. Not sure why TechTool was able to extract the files and they seem to be complete, but somehow they became corrupted. I still don't have the Protection feature on... I have so many external hard drives and back up drives that I'm hoping to eventually get streamlined into just one main hard drive and one main back up drive with Time Machine. I was attempting that with a LaCie Big4, but it kept crashing and that's where I rescued these files from before this last crash. Luckily I had most of them backed up, but there are a few on there I'd still like to recover if I could.

Re: Restored files are of Alias kind 17 May 2011 22:16 #579

Thanks for the update.

I have seen cases in which recovered files had damage to their headers that caused them not to be recognized as valid files by the applications that can open them. Unfortunately, that was a long time ago, and I do not know anyone who would be able to repair the data with a disk editor. I suspect that an expensive file recovery service might be able to do that.

When you do get the Protection feature turned on, configure it to save the disk directory for each volume to itself and to at least one other volume, preferably on another device.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Restored files are of Alias kind 24 May 2011 22:50 #611

Similar problem, hoping for help.

I transferred two files from a DVR to my MacBook Pro using BlackMagicDesign Video Recorder. Both were HD which I had to dumb down to 480 to get past the DVR content protection. One is a half hour long, the other 3.5 hours.

Both were saved to my desktop and under Info, show as .mp4 files, however the shorter one's icon includes a picture of the opening scene whereas the longer one is just a black box. Nonetheless both open and play fine in Quicktime on my laptop.

The problem is I need to transfer both to a Mac desktop for editing and while I am able to put the shorter one on an 8GB thumb drive, trying that with the longer one generates a message that says "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code 0)." I've also tried burning the longer one to a DVD for transfer but that only gets me an alias file.

Any suggestions?

Re: Restored files are of Alias kind 24 May 2011 23:36 #612

I do not have any new suggestions for dealing with this problem in general, but you should check the disk directory of the volume containing the larger mp4 file, and run the Surface Scan to check the drive holding the file for unremapped bad blocks. The same checks should be performed on the volume to which you were trying to copy the file. Regardless of the content of the file, it should be able to be copied.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Restored files are of Alias kind 16 Jan 2014 00:07 #5125

Problem solved.

Well, this is one of those times than intuition works pretty good, after some researching.
I don’t think you want to know how this came to me… I will just say that it is related to the code stuff, the way Apple do with codes today and the fact that there are code editors or code utilities that work either on PC or Mac.
I am an editor-director-video producer, nothing to do with codes. However, I tried almost every solution in this forum, plus another ones like these:
- www.frederikseiffert.de/filetype/ (It did not work in the computer where the files are, which has OSX 10.7.5, but in an old IMAC with OSX 10.6.8. The little arrow, nevertheless, did not disappear, and the files were not able to be open with QT. Nothing changed.
- Did some research about Livecode in the website of BYU which, by the way, has wonderful resources revolution.byu.edu/helps/file-creatorcodes.php
So, after this, I went looking for another code editor program… and then the solution came out.
1.- Mac Pro, Mac OSX 10.7.5
2.- External HDD, no previous Tech Tool settings on it at all, we put accidentally the whole Final Cut Pro Documents (7.0.3) folder in the trash and trashed it.
3.- Tech Tool 6.0.1 recovered the trashed files JUST LIKE THAT, in awesome way, like no other software: a folder within a folder… capture scratch, etcetera (actually, all recovery programs I know so far do the same disgusting stuff : change almost every original file name)
4.- I had a different kind of files that where digitized in FCP to be edited: AVCHD, AVCINTRA, etc., and other original footage files. Some of these files, after being logged in FCP, had the .mov written in the name’s file; some files don't.
5.- Weirdest thing: the files originally with .mov appeared named like that, plus with the FCP icon and the alias’ arrow. The files without the .mov looked with no particular program icon, but the scary arrow.
6.- Ultimate weirdest thing: a lot of .mov files (no matter sizes which I thought was the reason) were good after recovery. My preliminary conclusion is:
a) Apple Pro Res files originally recorded in AVCINTRA native, coded trough Clip Wrap 2.5.5 www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap, did not get messed up with the alias stuff.
b) Some Apple Pro Res files originally exported from FCP, did not get messed up with the alias stuff. Some did (WTF!!)
c) Apple Pro Res files originally recorded in AVCINTRA native, coded trough FCP, got messed up with the alias stuff.
d) H264 original footage (AVCHD) did not get messed up

These are the steps I followed to solve the issue:
1.- Took a file without* the .mov extension on it’s name to make a test. Put it in a USB flash drive.
2.- Connected the flash drive on a PC (Windows 7)
3.- Opened the file’s properties, added the file extension .mov
4.- Voila! I played the file in QT within Windows, took it back to Mac, and played again with no problems.
In the case of many files (which I will have to do in a few hours) use a batch rename utility, like the ones mentioned in the forum plus many more available.
* Important notes:
a) With the files already shown the .mov, you have to copy the file to another disk within the PC, or change the name a little. Even dough the file already shows .mov, in the properties it does not have it IN IT’S OWN NAME, which is we want to achieve)
b) In you can’t play the file in the PC (just black screen) that is another codec problem. Just go back to Mac and check it out: you will be able to play it by sure.

Hope this will work for you. I will appreciate your comments. You can follow me at @ClicerioMP. I would appreciate that too. Thank you.
Attachments:

Restored files are of Alias kind 16 Jan 2014 00:53 #5126

Thanks for your clear and detailed report about file recovery, which I have forwarded to the beta administrator for TechTool Pro and This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

I recall earlier cases in which recovered files had the alias file type even though the recovered files were not themselves aliases, but I do not recall anyone recovering .mov files, getting the alias file type for the recovered file, and making such a thorough investigation, involving viewing the files' properties as they appear in Windows. At the very least, your posting will encourage others who get the alias file type not to assume that it is the final result.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds