Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Mac OS 10.6.8 shuts down on boot after running techtool Pro 5.07

Mac OS 10.6.8 shuts down on boot after running techtool Pro 5.07 06 Jan 2016 07:39 #6980

This may be my first post...so please bare with me.

Not unlike many occasions through the years, I used "Volume Rebuild" in the ToolBox for regular maintenance, only this time, when the process ended the Mac Book Pro wouldn't fully boot. The Apple logo would appear and then the MacBook would shut down. Using Apple utilities fixed a miscount 2 lines of something, can't recall, but that didn't help the issue.

I have TTP 5 for OS 10.6.8 and and old TTP 4 for OS 9or 8? and a newer TTP 7, and in all the years of using this product, it has never ruined an OS installation. I wish I knew a simple way to fix this issue, my solution required an new installation on a fresh drive, and a full data migration. I feel a little foolish here, I was about to acquire TTP 8 for my El-Capitan computers, but now I feel reluctant, or out of my league?

Please advise.
Thank you
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2016 15:43 by emark.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mac OS 10.6.8 shuts down on boot after running techtool Pro 5.07 06 Jan 2016 11:24 #6981

I am sorry to see that you had this outcome after using the Volume Rebuild tool. The program warns you to make a backup before you begin. Without the data from the Technical Comparison window, and the diagnosis from the Volume Structures test, it is not possible to say much about what might have gone wrong. You should run the Surface Scan to check the drive for unmerited bad blocks, which could cause the Volume Rebuild to fail.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email. There may be some data in the All Messages log of the boot volume that was in use that will help us to see what happened. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: emark

Mac OS 10.6.8 shuts down on boot after running techtool Pro 5.07 06 Jan 2016 11:52 #6983

There have been many changes to the Volume Rebuild tool since the days when TechTool Pro 5 was the current version. A better strategy, when rebuilding the disk directory on older volumes, would be to connect the old computer to a newer one, using FireWire Target disk mode, so you can use a more recent version of TechTool Pro on the newer computer to perform the rebuild.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Mac OS 10.6.8 shuts down on boot after running techtool Pro 5.07 06 Jan 2016 15:52 #6984

Inquiry...
I have a variety of Apple computers/servers on different OS's, would TTP 8 be backwards compatible for OS 10.6.8 thru OS 10.11?
Target mode or otherwise? ...Is it safe to use TTP 7 or 8 on a OS 10.6.8 macbook.

Thank you

Mac OS 10.6.8 shuts down on boot after running techtool Pro 5.07 06 Jan 2016 16:07 #6985

TechTool Pro 8 must run under OS X 10.8 or greater, including OS X 10.11.

It is safe to use a newer version of TechTool Pro, running under a newer operating system with which it is compatible, to diagnose and repair volumes that were created and modified by earlier operating systems that are not capable of running the newer version of TechTool Pro.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Mac OS 10.6.8 shuts down on boot after running techtool Pro 5.07 06 Jan 2016 17:42 #6986

There is a potential problem that can arise if you mount an older HFS+ volume with one of the newer operating systems. The newer operating system may convert the volume to a Core Storage volume. The conversion matters to the user only if there is an operating system on a bootable volume that gets converted, and that older operating system cannot read a Core Storage volume. Fortunately, there is a solution that can be run in Terminal

Yosemite Core Storage and Partition Woes.

I suggest you do some reading about this potential problem. I have not seen anyone mention it in a long time, but with your collection of many models spanning many years, it could be concern.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2016 17:42 by micromattech3.

Mac OS 10.6.8 shuts down on boot after running techtool Pro 5.07 06 Jan 2016 20:11 #6987

Interesting read... I see that the issue is far more complicated than I had expected.

When time allows I'll experiment with this defunked OS 10.6.8 installment and see if can be recovered from TTP 7 via firewire.

Thank you

Mac OS 10.6.8 shuts down on boot after running techtool Pro 5.07 06 Jan 2016 20:39 #6988

You are welcome.

It is odd that these problems get so much attention when they are news, and then one can go a long time without seeing any further mention of them.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: emark
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds