Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Volume Rebuild Failed - insufficient work space error

Volume Rebuild Failed - insufficient work space error 30 Aug 2015 16:30 #6611

Been gone for a while.
I just replaced an older 80 GB HD. The spin up was nearing failure in Smart test. Time machine backup was used to migrate User data and Apps unto new 120 GB drive, with fresh install of OS X 10.6.8. Current drive has 76 GB free space. MacBook2,1 has 1GB of RAM.
While booted on the TTPro 5 DVD, all TTPro tests completed and passed, except Volume Rebuild, which I like to run as the last thing, so I have a fresh Directory.
Volume Rebuild fails with an error that it has insufficient work space. How this possible? The only RAM being used, should be what TTPro DVD is using, and the available contiguous free space of 76GB is almost twice the size of the used 40 GB space? If run TTPro 5 in much, much tighter conditions, with this machine, and other machines. I know the DVD, which has TTPro 5.0.5 is not fully compatible with 10.6.8, but I'm booted on the DVD, so I'm not running TTP5 under 10.6.8. I just did this process with another machine and everything went just fine. What's up? Do I need to erase and redo?
I've already read the thread on TTPro 7 forums, but this is not a SSD or hybrid drive. It's a Toshiba MK1246GSX.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Volume Rebuild Failed - insufficient work space error 30 Aug 2015 16:53 #6612

The problem is one that rarely occurs, the 4 GB limit on the amount of RAM that the Volume Rebuild tool is allowed to use by the operating system. If the sum of the sizes of the Catalog B-Tree and Extents B-Tree is greater than 4 GB, the Volume Rebuild tool cannot be used.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 30 Aug 2015 16:54 by micromattech3.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds