Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: 20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere?

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 07 Nov 2013 14:39 #4883

Hi,
My startup disk (SSD 128gb) is almost full. I just discovered that 20gb of this is being used by Techtools Protection.

Does this 20gb have to reside on the startup disk? I have a 750gb HDD on the same machine, it seems to make more sense to locate the backup of the SSD on the HDD.

How would I move it?

Thanks,
Martin
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 07 Nov 2013 14:59 #4884

I assume you are using a later version than TechTool Pro 5.

In the TechTool Protection system preferences pane, go to the Directory Backup section, and use the Locations button to change the location of the backup of the disk directory.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 07 Nov 2013 15:25 #4885

Oh, I had done that a long time ago!

> to change the location of the backup
The dialog reads as if it is an additional location, not a changed (replacement) location.

I gather then that my 20gb on my SSD can now be deleted (I'd have assumed TTP would have deleted something it no longer needed when I specified that).

Indeed I do see on my HDD a TechTool Protection folder, another ~21GB.

I'll delete the one off my SSD.

Thanks,
Martin.
Attachments:

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 07 Nov 2013 15:29 #4886

Actually it does look like an additional location.

Witness this next image, which is from my SSD. It was updated today, so both locations are active.

How can I turn off such storage on my SSD?
Attachments:

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 07 Nov 2013 15:42 #4887

I was not completely certain that the Locations button would allow turning off the default location when I made that suggestion. This subject has not arisen in a long time, and I am not near a Macintosh at the moment. I think you have raised a significant issue for users of SSD drives, which are relatively small.

I will ask if it is possible to prevent the directory backups from being written to the default location by denying write permissions on the folder for the protected volumes.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 07 Nov 2013 17:46 #4888

Here is what I was told about not making use of the default location:

Right now, if you choose only an external drive, the directory backups will still be written to the main hard drive temporarily. Once they are copied to the external location, they are deleted from the default location.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 07 Nov 2013 22:58 #4889

To turn off the default location, choose another location first. Once the new location is in the TechTool Protection system preferences pane, select the default location, and click the minus sign button to remove it (see screen capture below).

Some files will be written to the removed default location, but they will soon be deleted.

In the example shown in the screen capture, the volume Macintosh HD had its directory backups being written to itself, the default location. Once G-Drive_Q_232 was added as a new location, it was possible to select Macintosh HD, and remove it with the minus sign button.
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 07 Nov 2013 23:09 by micromattech3.

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 07 Nov 2013 23:09 #4890

So, per my attachment?

(I only question as I'd be unticking, not hitting minus)

Thanks! M.
Attachments:

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 07 Nov 2013 23:12 #4891

No, unchecking the checkbox turns the Directory Backup feature off entirely for the particular volume. Select the volume first, then use the Locations button.

TechTool Pro 5 was quite a while ago, and I am not sure that it will work the same way as versions 6 and 7.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 07 Nov 2013 23:28 by micromattech3.

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 08 Nov 2013 14:29 #4892

So, I don't seem to be able to select the Locations button without a volume selected.

Would you kindly find out whether this is possible in TTP5?

Thanks,
Martin.

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 08 Nov 2013 15:21 #4893

You must have both a check in the checkbox next to the name of a protected volume, and have the volume selected, before the Locations button becomes available for that volume.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 08 Nov 2013 15:48 #4894

Okay, here are 3 screen shots:
The main panel
The Locations sub-panel launched when the SSD was selected
The Locations sub-panel launched when the HDD was selected.

The name of the SSD does not show on the Locations sub-panel when the SSD is selected.

Thanks, M.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 08 Nov 2013 23:10 by micromattech3. Reason: Added 2 screen captures in proper order.

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 08 Nov 2013 16:14 #4895

Only one of your screen captures appeared.

Please send an email message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread and the three screen captures. You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

20gb of space used on startup disk - can it be held elsewhere? 08 Nov 2013 20:41 #4896

From www.micromat.com/techtool-pro-6-compatib...y-with-mountain-lion :

TechTool Pro 5 or earlier is not supported for Mac OS X 10.8.

So, if you have Mountain Lion on the volume named "M Lion on SSD" you should upgrade to TechTool Pro 7.0.1.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds