Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Can't run Volume Rebuild with TechTool Pro 5

Can't run Volume Rebuild with TechTool Pro 5 28 Jan 2012 15:35 #1855

I can't get my iMac desktop to start up. It was running Snow Leopard OS 10.6. After booting up from my TTPro 5.0.6 DVD and running some diagnostics, everything seemed to check out OK except for a volume structure error - there was a Validation Error encountered (allocation file (bitmap)). I thought rebuilding the directory might fix the start up problem, but when I run the Volume Rebuild tool and select my internal hard drive, the "Run Volume Rebuild" is dimmed and not clickable. Do I need to get TTPro 6 to be able to run the Volume Rebuild tool? I really hope TTPro will be able to get me access to my most current data as the last full backup I have is many months old. Thanks for any help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Can't run Volume Rebuild with TechTool Pro 5 28 Jan 2012 22:06 #1856

TechTool Pro should be run from a hard drive volume, not the bootable DVD, because virtual memory cannot be used when the Macintosh is booted from a locked volume, and no logs files can be reported. The program warns you to make a backup before you begin.

Using the Volume Rebuild tool requires booting from another volume containing an installation of Mac OS X and TechTool Pro, such as an eDrive. Although it is not a good idea to use Volume Rebuild from the bootable DVD, it should be available. Using Volume Rebuild requires that the volume be able to be unmounted. Sometimes, volumes are not able to be unmounted because they have open files on them. Because there may be directory damage to your usual startup volume, you would have to install Mac OS X and TechTool Pro on a bootable external volume. If I had your problem, I would boot from my Mac OS X Installer DVD and run Disk Utility, just to get a diagnosis of what might be wrong with the disk directory on the internal hard drive.

TechTool Pro reminds you to make a backup before you use it. You should not have a backup strategy in which the last full backup is months old. The fact that your iMac does not start up from the usual startup volume does not mean that there is substantial damage to the data on the drive. If you have access to another Macintosh you should try to recover at least your user folder using FireWire Target Disk Mode before you make any more changes to the startup volume.

The Volume Structures test is read-only, and since you were not able to use Volume Rebuild, the disk directory on the internal hard drive is the same as it was before you booted from the bootable DVD.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 28 Jan 2012 22:12 by micromattech3.

Re: Can't run Volume Rebuild with TechTool Pro 5 30 Jan 2012 04:05 #1873

Thank you so much for all the valuable info and for replying so quickly.

I ran Disk Utility from the original Mac OS Installer DVD and got the following error:

Checking Catalog File
Keys out of order
Rebuilding Catalog B-Tree then..
The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired

Before I try to make an eDrive and then do a Volume Rebuild with TechTool Pro, I'll follow your advice to recover data using Firewire Target Disk Mode. However, the Mac Pro laptop that I can use for recovery runs Firewire 800 and the older iMac desktop has Firewire 400. The local Apple store sells a 400 to 800 firewire Belkin adapter for a hefty $30 (I should be in the cable business!), so I'll have to get one of those before I can try to recover data using the Firewire Target Disk mode.

I'll post a reply with the results I get. Thanks again.

Re: Can't run Volume Rebuild with TechTool Pro 5 30 Jan 2012 04:26 #1874

You are welcome.

I had the same problem with FireWire 400 and 800, and bought a small adapter for $19.95 from Granite Digital:

Granite Digital FireWire 9 Pin to 6 Pin Gender Changer part 8557 Allows connecting FireWire 400 cable (6 pin) to FW 800 port (9 pin).

In your situation, you are better off with the instant gratification of the Apple Store.

The key referred to in the diagnosis you got from Disk Utility is a means by which the disk directory refers to a file. It consists of the name of the file and the ID number of the folder containing it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Can't run Volume Rebuild with TechTool Pro 5 04 Feb 2012 15:25 #1911

I was able to access the iMac with the damaged directory via the firewire mode (running 400 Mbps, the older iMac's speed) that you recommended using my Macbook Pro laptop and a cable with a 400 6-pin connector for the iMac and an 800 9-pin connector for the laptop's FW port. I was able to get the 400/800 connector at Frys for $16. I then attached an external drive using the laptop's USB port and was able to back up the iMac files prior to trying to repair the directory with TechTool Pro. Running TechTool Pro on the laptop, I then successfully rebuilt and repaired the iMac volume's directory. The iMac then booted up normally. Since Disk Utility was not able to repair the directory, I was really happy that Tech Tool Pro did the job and brought my iMac back. I also optimized the iMac's files and volume overnight and things are now running very smoothly. I also created an eDrive on my external backup drive to simplify troubleshooting if I have directory problems in the future. I'm going to upgrade soon to Verision 6 so I can create an eDrive on the startup volume.

I thought I'd then tune up the Macbook Pro laptop with the tools from Tech Tool Pro. However, it was not possible to boot up the laptop using the TT Pro boot disk. I tried it many times. (The iMac however will boot from the TTP dvd. The iMac and the Macbook Pro desktop are both running OS 10.6.8.) Every time after the laptop starts reading the dvd, I get the black curtain, then the Black box in 4 languages message: "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button." (The dvd drive itself seems to be OK because I can start up successfully from the Apple OS startup dvd that came with the laptop.) Not sure what's going on with the failure to boot my laptop from the TT Pro dvd but..

Since I couldn't get the Tech Tool Pro dvd to boot the laptop, I just reversed the firewire mode process above, running the installed Tech Tool Pro on my desktop iMac and accessing the laptop in firewire mode. This way, I was able to rebuild the volume on my laptop and optimize the laptop files and volume.

Thanks again for the help. Tech Tool Pro has generally worked great for me.

Re: Can't run Volume Rebuild with TechTool Pro 5 04 Feb 2012 21:48 #1913

Thanks for your clear and detailed description of how you used TechTool Pro in FireWire Target Disk Mode to solve the problem. It is always a pleasure to see cases in which TechTool Pro was able to repair a disk directory that Disk Utility could not.

Take a look at the Mac OS X Installer DVD that came with the MacBook Pro. The disc label tells you what version of Mac OS X it will install. If that version is later than the version on your TechTool Pro DVD, then the TechTool Pro DVD cannot boot the MacBook Pro, because the system software on the DVD is too old to fully support the hardware of the MacBook Pro. Typically, every new model Apple ships requires new drivers for the video hardware.

It is by far preferable to run TechTool Pro from an hard drive volume rather than the bootable DVD, because when the Macintosh is booted from a locked volume, virtual memory cannot be used, and no log files can be written.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't run Volume Rebuild with TechTool Pro 5 14 Aug 2018 12:25 #10056

I really like following your blog as the articles are so simple to read and follow. Excellent. Please keep up the good work. Thanks.
Canon Printer Error Code 5b00

Can't run Volume Rebuild with TechTool Pro 5 14 Aug 2018 12:54 #10057

Thank you for your kind remark, and for the link to an example of something a bit more difficult to follow!
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds