Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: volume optimization problem

volume optimization problem 16 Jan 2014 20:29 #5131

I have a 3 disk raid, internally, in my MacPro equalling approx. 1TB. According to the info I get from the machine there is about a 250G of it free. I recently tried to run the optimization utility on it and it appeared to be less than 10% free on the fragment status display in TTP and the utility failed to run. How do I manage to de-frag it?

OS 10.4.11 2 Intel dual core 2.66Ghz cpu 3GB ram
The administrator has disabled public write access.

volume optimization problem 16 Jan 2014 21:11 #5132

Are you using TechTool Pro 4?

More recent versions of TechTool Pro support RAID arrays made by Apple's Disk Utility, but not others, of which there are too many proprietary variants.

The easiest way to optimize a volume that cannot be optimized with a disk optimizer is described in this Knowledge Base article:

Optimize Using the Cloning Tool

The Cloning Tool is not part of TechTool Pro 4. Any utility that can copy files properly, such as Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper, can be used in place of it.

In order to defragment a file, the disk optimizer must have a piece of disk space that is both free and contiguous (all in one piece) that is at least as large as the file. Given the size and degree of fragmentation of your RAID, it would probably be faster to copy files to another volume and back than it would be to use a disk optimizer.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 16 Jan 2014 21:13 by micromattech3.

volume optimization problem 16 Jan 2014 23:23 #5133

I have use TTP 4 several times in the past to defrag this raid. The only problem I have had previously is when I needed to stop the process using the stop written into TTP 4, when some of my files were corrupted by the process. When I was able to let the whole thing run, it defragged everything fine. Hopefully the article you referenced will be of some help. Thanks

volume optimization problem 16 Jan 2014 23:49 #5134

You are welcome.

When you use the Stop button to stop the optimization, the program is supposed to finish working on defragmenting the one file it is working on, update the disk disk directory, and then stop. I do not know whether the problem you encountered is related to the RAID or not.

Your posting reminds me that it was customer reports that the program did work on RAIDs created by Disk Utility (at least in some cases) that lead to the effort to provide official support for Apple RAIDs.

Remember that you should always make and test a backup before running any disk optimizer.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds