Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Optimization time heading into 48 hours

Optimization time heading into 48 hours 15 Apr 2011 06:19 #344

I'm using Tech Too 4.6.1 on a MacBook Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo/2.33Ghz) running on OS X 10.5. Ran all the tests and passed everything except: 11 bad blocks on DVD-RW drive and Volume Structure - incorrect number of files. Volume repair appeared to have fixed the problem. (The eDrive is on a La Cie 2Tb external drive.)

Analyzed HD for optimization and there were almost 95,000 fragments, so began the optimization process - I unchecked the Files Only option.

At this moment we are at 10,964 fragments and have been running the optimization process for 36 hours. It is going slower and slower. Any suggestions would be appreciated on how to proceed. Do I just let it complete or stop the process and begin again? - I read in one of your threads that if optimization is stopped and restarted that it should go faster. I'm a little concerned at this point because I realized the backup I made of the HD is not a bootable one. Thank you for any help you can give.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Optimization time heading into 48 hours 15 Apr 2011 08:12 #345

The speed of the optimizer depends on processor speed, bus speed, drive speed, and the exact distribution pattern of the file and free space pieces, which are called extents.

The optimizer requires a piece of disk space that is both free and contiguous (all in one piece) and at least as large as the largest file to be defragmented to finish its task.

I suggest that you use the Stop button to stop the optimization, then after it has safely stopped, use a utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper! to make a new backup. The Finder cannot copy some application packages correctly, and is not able to make bootable backups.

When you click the Stop button, the optimizer should finish optimizing the one file it is working on, update the disk directory, and then remount the volume.

If you know of some very large files that you suspect are not highly fragmented (because they were copied to the volume when there was plenty of free, contiguous disk space) I suggest you temporarily copy them to another volume and delete them on the volume you are attempting to optimize, to make more freem contiguous space available. Then resume the optimization.

If the optimizer crashes or must be forced to quit, the consequences depend on exactly what the optimizer was doing when it stopped. The consequences range from nothing, to loss of a file, a folder, or the entire volume (in the rare case in which a piece of the disk directory itself was being moved when the optimizer stopped). Use of a UPS device to ensure a steady supply of electricity is highly recommended.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deborah s
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds