Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Result Code_88 (-9127)

Result Code_88 (-9127) 03 Apr 2011 09:05 #168

Running Tech Tool Pro 4 on my brand new Mac Mini. Every hour or two, up pops a dialog with " result code_88 ( -9127)",

What is this trying to tell me? Cannot find ANY references to result codes. Why can't the application tell me in English what is wrong and how to fix it?

Bummed by a "modern" application that still sounds like a 1991 PC with its "syntax error" messages.

Help!

Jay
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Result Code_88 (-9127) 03 Apr 2011 09:34 #169

A band new Mac Mini would ship with Snow Leopard. TechTool Pro 4.1.x, 4.5.x, and 4.6.x are not compatible with Snow Leopard. The TechTool Pro 4.6.2 updater was created on July 18, 2008.

Registered users of TechTool Pro 4.x can purchase an upgrade to TechTool Pro 6.

If you installed TechTool Pro 4.x, please use the TechTool Pro 4 installer to uninstall the program. The uninstall feature of the installer is the other choice in the pop-up menu that defaults to Easy Install.

The following text is being posted in case someone using TechTool Pro 4.5.x with Mac OS X Tiger or TechTool Pro 4.6.x under Mac OS X Tiger or Mac OS X Leopard gets the same diagnosis:

TechTool Pro 4 is years old now. While it might have been helpful to have the error codes in English, a dialog box alone could not provide you with the latest guidance about what to do about the problem.

The Diagnostic Scan that runs on a schedule in TechTool Pro 4 attempted to find disk directory errors in the disk directory of a mounted volume, one that is in use. There are inherent problems in such an approach, because disk directory updates might be pending in RAM or in the journal file. While the feature did alert many people to real problems, it produced so many false diagnoses of problems, because disk directory updates were pending in RAM or in the journal file, that we decided to remove the feature from TechTool Pro 5.

Having said that, it is likely that the diagnosis Result Code_88 (-9127) that the Diagnostic Scan found is accurate.

The -9127 error means that the journal file is invalid.

resultCode_88_volume = "Journaling Setup is invalid".

I do not recall false diagnoses of that problem. The solution is to turn off journaling and then turn it back on again.

Here is an old posting from our original forums about the Diagnostic Scan:

If the diagnoses came from running the Volume Structures test:

If the Volume Structures test produces a result of “Failure“ (meaning that the disk directory contains at least one error), the Run button that you used to start the test changes to a Repair button. After you click the Repair button, a new disk directory is created in RAM, and the Technical Comparison window appears. If the total number of files and folders and the total amount of disk space occupied by the files on the original volume and the proposed rebuild match, it should be safe to replace the disk directory. No changes are made to the directory without your approval. The section for the Volume Structures test in the Help for TechTool Pro shows the Technical Comparison window.

If the diagnoses reported above came from the Diagnostic Scan, please read the text below:

The Diagnostic Scan (Safety...Diagnostics Setup) that runs on a schedule in TechTool Pro 4.x sometimes makes a false diagnosis of the following disk directory errors:

1. overlapped extent allocation

2. invalid PEOF (physical end of file)

3. invalid map node

4. invalid leaf node

5. file count mismatch (-70 error code)

6. invalid extent pointer

7. incorrect valence (-61 error code)

8. incorrect folder count (-63 error code)

9. missing forlder thread record (-68 error code)

10. bitmap mismatch (-90 error code)

In each case, the correct course of action is to run the Volume Structures test (Tests...Volumes...Volume Structures) to see if it confirms the diagnosis. If it does, then the problem is real. If it does not, there is no cause for alarm. The incorrect course of action is to turn off the Diagnostic Scan, or to simply ignore it. Several people have been alerted to problems that were confirmed by the Volume Structures test.

Before running the Volume Structures test, open the Test Log window in TechTool Pro’s Window menu and check the name of the volume that was reported by the Diagnostic Scan to have the error. There are rare cases in which the dialog box reports the wrong volume name. (I have seen this happen on my computer at home, but we have not been able to reproduce the problem). The correct volume name is in the Test Log.

It is likely that most of these false diagnoses are caused by the fact that the Diagnostic Scan is examining a mounted volume, which may have disk directory updates pending in RAM or in the journal file. The Volume Structures test unmounts the volume, so the disk directory cannot have any pending updates.

The number of false diagnoses reported by the Diagnostic Scan feature has been reduced in each new version of TechTool Pro 4.x compared to earlier versions, but they may not be able to be eliminated. There are inherent problems in examining the disk directory of a volume that is in use, because there can be disk directory updates pending in RAM or in the journal file that have not yet been written to the disk directory (Catalog B-Tree and Extents B-Tree) itself. In most cases, these false diagnoses of a particular problem stop as suddenly as they began.

There are now very few reported cases of false diagnoses from the Diagnostic Scan, which makes the remaining problems more difficult to reproduce and fix. If you seem to have a persistent one, here are three suggestions:

1. The drive may have bad blocks that have not been remapped to spares. Run the Surface Scan test (Tests...Drives...Surface Scan).

2. See if there are characters in the volume name that are higher than ASCII 255, in other words, characters made with the Option key on the Macintosh.

3. We think this is unlikely, but it is possible that a volume formatted by Mac OS 9 long before the introduction of Mac OS X may contribute to these false diagnoses.

We do not want to take an approach to reducing false diagnoses of failure at the expense of eliminating any correct diagnoses of failure.

In case the diagnosis is an “overlapped extent allocation”:

An overlapped extent allocation occurs when a sector on the disk is recorded in the disk directory as belonging to more than one file (usually two). In most cases, one of the files is irreparably damaged, because it contains data that belongs to another file.

If the diagnosis of an overlapped extent allocation is confirmed by the Volume Structures test, and you have Mac OS X 10.4.2 or later installed, please see Handling "overlapped extent allocation" errors reported by Disk Utility or fsck.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 03 Apr 2011 09:55 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaycowan

Re: Result Code_88 (-9127) 04 Apr 2011 11:14 #215

Thank you for that really detailed replay. It left me with the feeling that you guys and gals really care, and know in detail what happened.
So now that you have restored my faith, I'll be purchasing an upgrade to v.6. If on the off-chance that I cannot find my old CD with TechToolsPro 4, will the new version 6 allow me to first uninstall the version 4.6.2 that I currently moved over to my new Mini? Or is all that taken care of during updating to version 6?

Thanks,

Jay
Last Edit: 05 Apr 2011 02:01 by micromattech3. Reason: removed registration data

Re: Result Code_88 (-9127) 04 Apr 2011 17:31 #217

You are welcome.

The file pathnames for version 6 are not the same as for version 4, so version 6 cannot uninstall version 4. If you cannot find the version 4 installer, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. explaining the situation. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 05 Apr 2011 06:24 by micromattech3. Reason: changed "version 5" to "version 4".

Re: Result Code_88 (-9127) 05 Apr 2011 05:53 #225

Hello: Thank you for your help. Found the version 4 CD but encountered problems, so I sent the following email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. :

I need a little help, thank you.

I was referred to you by your tech support, as part of this discussion on your support forum:
Message Result Code_88 (-9127)
Forum: TechTool Pro 4
Posted by: micromattech3
The problem is, I tried to uninstall TechTool Pro 4 using the original TechTool Pro4 CD. When I ran the "Uninstall" script, it quickly removed several hundred files but then froze at "Items to be deleted 527". I even tried copying the entire installed CD to another hard drive, running it again, and again it froze at "Items to be deleted 527".

Perhaps the problem lies with the fact that it is currently on a brand new Mac Mini running Snow Leopard. I originally installed TechTool Pro 4 on my PowerMac G5 years ago, and when it suffered a CPU hardware failure last month, I bought a new Mac Mini and used apple's migration software to move the files/apps over to the Mini.

Now TechTool Pro 4 is giving me error reports that your "micromattech3" person says is due to inconpatibility with Snow Leopard. So he told me to run the uninstaller. But the uninstaller is not finishing the job.

Today, micromattech3 told me : "The file pathnames for version 6 are not the same as for version 4, so version 6 cannot uninstall version 5.. If you cannot find the version 4 installer, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. the situation. Thank you"

So any suggestions on how to get rid of the remaining 527 files? If I can do this, then I can get Version 6 of Tech Tools Pro and install it.

Re: Result Code_88 (-9127) 05 Apr 2011 06:14 #226

I am sorry that I did not recall that even the Installer for TechTool Pro 4 will not work properly under Snow Leopard. I do not recall anyone trying that before. I meant to write that the installer for version 6 cannot uninstall version 4. I have corrected that error above.

You can remove TechTool Pro 4 manually by removing these files. The 527 files are inside the application package, which is still where the installer put it, either in /Applications or /Applications/Utilities. In other words, part of the contents of the application package got removed, and part did not.

1. The TechTool Pro 4 application package, as described above.

2. The preference files at /Library/Preferences/TechTool Pro 4.

3. The preference file at /Users/user_name/Libary/Prefereneces/com.micromat.TechToolPro4.plist

4. The TechTool Pro 4 icon in the Dock.

5. The invisible folder containing the disk directory backups, at the root level of each protected volume. On the startup volume, the path is:

/.TechToolProItems

You can navigate to the folder using the Finder’s Go To Folder feature, in the Go menu. For other volumes, the path begins with /Volumes/Volume_Name. If the volume name has spaces in it put it in quotation marks:

Volume Name should be changed to "Volume Name"

The complete path to the invisible folder containing the disk directory backups on a protected volume called Volume Name:

/Volumes/"Volume Name"/.TechToolProItems

Some of these files may have already been removed by the TechTool Pro 4 installer before it failed.

The beta administrator for TechTool Pro knows that I have posted this reply and believes it to be accurate, so you may not receive a reply from This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 25 May 2011 20:34 by micromattech3.

Re: Result Code_88 (-9127) 05 Apr 2011 06:34 #227

Wow! Fast Response! Never received such incredible support!!!!! Thanks.
Looks like all the files were hiding in a partially corrupted version of the actual TechToolPro4 application (item 1 above), left over after the uninstaller failed.
All other locations were empty of suspect files.
Case closed, I believe.
So now to upgrade to V.6!!!

A happy customer,

Jay

Re: Result Code_88 (-9127) 05 Apr 2011 06:39 #228

You are welcome, and thanks for your kind comments.

I hope the migration from your older Macintosh to the new Mac Mini was less troublesome.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds