Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Cant create E-Drive

Cant create E-Drive 01 Sep 2020 04:53 #12276

Just installed TT 13.01
Works fine but when trying to install E-Drive it reads:
The resize limits for the APFS container which includes "My Disk" are insufficient to add the E partition to this volume. Please choose an other destination for the E Drive partition.

NB
MY DISK has 500 GB
Free Space 176 GB

Any suggestions???
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cant create E-Drive 01 Sep 2020 11:19 #12277

Please see this posting for a description of what "free space" means these days:

www.micromat.com/component/kunena/techto...-discrepancies#11944

In addition, in at least some places, the free space reported for an apfs container is the sum of the free space in all of the apfsvolumes in the container, because the free space is shared among the volumes.

If you have another drive with sufficient space, you could try that.

If you send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , you may get another suggestion via email. I am not suffuciently familiar with all of the issues you can see if you search for:

apfs container resize limits

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 01 Sep 2020 11:40 by micromattech3.

Cant create E-Drive 02 Sep 2020 09:06 #12278

I have the same issue.
500GB SSD
191.42 GB free space

I will send email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as requested

Cant create E-Drive 02 Sep 2020 12:46 #12279

Thanks for your cooperation.

There are some cases in which a restart causes the operating system to free up sufficeient space. If that does not work, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. can have you run a command that will give details about the APFS container.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 02 Sep 2020 12:47 by micromattech3.

Cant create E-Drive 02 Sep 2020 12:54 #12282

Did the same.
This is what Micromat Help Desk mailed to me:

Hello,

Thanks for your email. One possibility is that your Time Machine snapshots are taking up that extra space. If you navigate to the Snapshot Recovery tool, you should see (after a brief delay) the total space taken up by snapshots on your Mac. If there are even a few gigs, deleting them can provide sufficient space, which can be done using the Delete Snapshot button found in the tool. Note that you would run into the same issue if you tried to add an additional physical partition of sufficient size using Disk Utility as well, given that Techtool Pro uses the same processes as Disk Utility to add the partition for eDrive.

Thanks,

Micromat Help

I tried to delete several snapshots from Time Machine, but the problem persisted.

Reading their note I realise that I tried to create a Boot Camp Disk but didn't succeed. Maybe the presence of the remnants of that failed disk prevents the formation of an E-Drive.
Very annoying since Apple's Disk Utility is unable to remove or restore the disk.

I'm afraid that I''ll have to format the disk and start over with an entirely new system. Such a pain!

And the same thing happens not only on my iMac but also on my MacBook Air.
The more annoying since you don't want to live without an E-drive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gregneg

Cant create E-Drive 02 Sep 2020 12:59 #12283

Thanks for posting the message, which may be of help to others.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cant create E-Drive 02 Sep 2020 13:09 #12284

These artilces may be of help, but be careful when trying to free up storage space.

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

macOS: What is Purgeable Storage on Your Hard Drive?

You can find other relevant articles by searching for:

Optimize Mac Storage
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cant create E-Drive 02 Sep 2020 13:18 #12285

The case is all the more strange since under Catalina and TT Pro 12.0 the creation of an E-drive was very easy and rapid.
May yet an issue with TT 13.0 ???

Cant create E-Drive 02 Sep 2020 13:23 #12286

It is my understanding that the creation of the eDrive has not changed between the two versions.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cant create E-Drive 05 Sep 2020 09:37 #12303

I had the same issue with TTP 13 (although not with TTP 12 or earlier). I fixed it by deleting all local Time Machine snapshots, some of which were apparently limiting the minimum size of the APFS Container. I did this by running the following Terminal command:

tmutil listlocalsnapshots / \
| cut -d. -f4 \
| xargs -n1 tmutil deletelocalsnapshots

I could then create an eDrive as normal.

Cant create E-Drive 05 Sep 2020 11:33 #12304

jontylaw,

Thanks for posting your solution. Deleting some or all of the local Time Machine snapshots is the remedy for some of these cases.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cant create E-Drive 05 Sep 2020 17:17 #12308

Thanks to advice from Micromat, I have successfully created an eDrive after deletion of the Time Machine snap shots.
Deletion was done using the Snap Shot Recovery tool in TT13.
The tool generates a list of the files, which one highlights and then deletes.
Then an eDrive can be created.
Attachments:

Cant create E-Drive 05 Sep 2020 17:20 #12309

Thanks for reporting that deleting the local Time Machine snapshots worked for you, and for the impressive screen capture.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cant create E-Drive 05 Sep 2020 19:06 #12310

I have a SSD disk with 500 GB and 176 GB Free space.
I deleted all Snap Shots

Helas! Still the message reads:
The resize limits for AFPS container which includes "disk" are insufficient to add the eDrive partition to this volume. Please choose an other destination for the eDrive partition.

Very frustrating when you have 176 GB of Free Space available.

Cant create E-Drive 05 Sep 2020 19:19 #12311

Thanks for your report.

Please try restarting the computer, in case the data regarding the amount of free space has been cached and is no longer accurate. Sometimes, the restart itself causes space to be freed.

If these suggestions do not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . The company re-opens on Tuesday after the Labor Day weekend.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cant create E-Drive 05 Sep 2020 19:50 #12312

GOOD NEWS!!!

When removing the TimeMachine Snap Shots, there were always a couple with a red dot in front of it which couldn't be removed.
This appeared to be caused by an active Time Machine active Backup.
So after TM finished the backup the dots were still red and couldn't be removed.
So as suggested by Micromattech3 I restarted and see.. the red dots were gone and the Snap shots could be removed.
And Surprise Surprise to my delight I could indeed create an eDrive in TTpro 13.

Hopefully this is helpful for many TTpro users as this forum made clear that more users are struggling.

And finally I also followed MTech3's advice to change my username in something different from my email address.

So for everybody: take care...

Thank you Micromattech3 for your invaluable advice!

End of session.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gregneg

Cant create E-Drive 05 Sep 2020 19:56 #12313

MHO4TTPRO,

You are welcome, and thanks for your report. It is very helpful to have added to the thread the details about the red dots next to the Time Machine snapshots. I have made a note of this in my Yojimbo database, which I will back up.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cant create E-Drive 11 Sep 2020 01:42 #12340

I have exactly the same problem - The resize limits for the APFS container which includes [my disk] are insufficient to add the eDrive partition to this volume. Please choose another destination for the eDrive partition.

My startup disk is a 1TB SSD with 591.88 GB of Free Space. My Mac is running Catilina 10.15.6 Build 19G2021.

When I run the snapshot recovery tool, I have 26 snapshots taking up a total of 5.89 GB.
There is no way the snapshots could be the problem. Even if all 26 snapshots are spaced all over the place, there should be a partition large enough to create an eDrive, but this is an SSD, so non-contiguous space shouldn't matter, and APFS is supposed to allocate disk space dynamically in any case. That's the main advantage of APFS.

My take is that TTP 13 is erroneously calculating free space or that the snapshot recovery tool is erroneously reporting disk usage to the OS. Either way, it's a bug. Tell me I'm wrong.

Cant create E-Drive 11 Sep 2020 01:53 #12341

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.

There are some problems with the interpretation of "free space". Please see:

DIsk Space Warning Discrepancieshttps

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cant create E-Drive 11 Sep 2020 02:23 #12342

I understand the issues of free space being occupied by invisible files, but you can't tell me that a 1TB SSD with less than 400GB of data could have 600GB of of hidden data taking up free space. Yesterday in TTP12, I had no difficulty creating eDrive partitions as often as desired. There was a similar bug in the initial release of TTP12, which affected reporting of % of used disk space in the pref pane. I was given a nearly identical explanation of the problem at the time, and then it miraculously disappeared in a future release. I'll send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , but seriously, this is a bug.

Regarding my screen name, I can't seem to edit it in my profile. I tried to change it to SteveInNYC once before. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Attachments:

Cant create E-Drive 11 Sep 2020 02:35 #12343

Thanks for your cooperation. I cannot explain the problem with not being able to create the eDrive.

In order to edit your screen name, click the My Account link at the top of the page. On the new page, click the Account Information link. That takes you to the screen where you can change your username (on the right side). If you cannot edit that field, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , and someone should be able to edit it. Thank you.
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 11 Sep 2020 02:38 by micromattech3.

Cant create E-Drive 17 Sep 2020 13:35 #12380

I just installed TTP 13.0.1. When attempting to create an E-Drive the source and destination location bars cannot be toggled. Is this because of the fusion drive I have on my late 2015 iMac? Or is it related to issues described in this discussion? I'm new to TTP. I know you're not supposed to optimize on this machine, that's about all I know. Just changed my user name -different from my email addy. Thanks for the Google heads up on that.
Last Edit: 17 Sep 2020 13:44 by cjt5@cox.net.

Cant create E-Drive 17 Sep 2020 13:43 #12381

Thanks for your report.

I doubt the problem is caused by the disk space issue discussed in this thread, because there is a specific error message for that.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including as an attachment an Apple System Information report.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cant create E-Drive 17 Sep 2020 14:11 #12382

I just installed TTP 13.0.1 Having the same issue as others in this thread. I've got a late 2015 iMac with a fusion drive with 1.3 TB free space for my destination volume. I removed all but the last couple of snapshots. I set the size of the eDrive to an arbitrary number - 65 GB. I keep getting failures on creating the eDrive no matter how big or small I set the eDrive size. What have I missed?

Cant create E-Drive 17 Sep 2020 14:17 #12383

Please see my reply above. Thank you.

Something went wrong before, and I was able to reply to your first posting without my having approved it first. That is not supposed to "work".
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cant create E-Drive 17 Sep 2020 20:42 #12384

I had the same problem I couldn't solve but thanks to micrmathtech3 I managed.

See my contribution to this forum I started.
The solution is written in my quote of

05 Sep 2020 19:50

If you follow that you can create your e-drive.

Good luck

Marten
Last Edit: 17 Sep 2020 20:50 by micromattech3. Reason: Made timestamp into a link

Cant create E-Drive 17 Sep 2020 20:51 #12385

Thank you.

I rarely edit customer's postings, but I thought converting your timestamp to a link would be helpful.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cant create E-Drive 28 Sep 2020 13:13 #12405

I had the same problem. I have a MBAir, Mojave, 250GB SSD, 177GB used, 70GB free, 7 snapshots altogether 1.63GB. My repair attempts, with restarts after each, none reporting problems but all unsuccessful, in order: OnyX, CleanMyMac X, Disk First Aid, TTP13 from a Protogo. Up until then, I couldn't believe that the little space occupied by the snapshots could have been the cause, but then I erased all of them, and finally I was able to install the eDrive.

Thanks to MMT3 and all the others here. Still, this simply shouldn't happen with TTP. It would be interesting to know if this is rarely, often, or always a problem - perhaps only for those who use Time Machine. Whatever, since it happens at all, and Micromat hasn't yet solved it, I imagine a solution might be difficult. But a solution is necessary, since I imagine most users don't even know about or use this forum and end up simply stumped, very disappointed and out of luck, since the eDrive is arguably one of the most essential TTP tools. I'm looking forward to TTP v. 13.0.2.

Cant create E-Drive 28 Sep 2020 13:19 #12406

Thanks for your report.

All I can tell you now is that the problem is being studied. I do not know how common it is. I do hope most users are resourceful enough to seek support when they have problems.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cant create E-Drive 07 Oct 2020 21:08 #12419

I have the same problem and I am not running time machine. I have over 750GB free.

Cant create E-Drive 07 Oct 2020 21:37 #12420

The APFS filesystem makes snapshots.

Please try the suggestions in this thread regarding restarts and deleting snapshots, and if that does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including as an attachment an Apple System Information report. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.465 seconds