Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Have just installed SAT SAMRT driver - Mac won't boot anymore

Have just installed SAT SAMRT driver - Mac won't boot anymore 20 Jun 2020 13:20 #12101

I have an external drive (USB) for repairing and testing my hardware. It runs El Capitan (macOS 10.11.6) and the latest version of TechTool (12.0.3). I want to check a FireWire drive's SMART status so I installed SAT SAMRT driver. I cannot boot from the USB drive anymore - freeze at black screen with white Apple logo. Why is that? If the SAT SMART driver is not compatible with running from USB start volumes then why was there no warning or something?

Have I to remove the kernel extension or is there any other solution?

Best regards.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Have just installed SAT SAMRT driver - Mac won't boot anymore 20 Jun 2020 18:00 #12102

Thanks for your report.

The SAT SMART driver is an open-source project. The Website is at github.com/kasbert/OS-X-SAT-SMART-Driver .

I have not seen any other reports of this problem, in these forums, or elsewhere.

The SAT SMART Driver page has instructions for removing the kernel extension. You may not need to use Terminal to remove the files, since your computer is not booted from the external USB drive, but I think you will find the pathnames for the files helpful:

Uninstall
=========

* Remove driver and plugin
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTDriver.kext
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin
sudo rm -r /Library/Extensions/SATSMARTDriver.kext
sudo rm -r /Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin
* Reboot

Checking the SMART status of a drive does not require booting from another volume or device. If you have the SAT SMART Driver installed on your usual startup volume, it should work as well as it would from any other. Note that not all drives are supported by this open source project. My G-Technology drives are not.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MultiFinder
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds