Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Dropbox Smart Sync

Dropbox Smart Sync 18 Jun 2020 23:19 #12094

I use Dropbox Smart Sync — the function that allows files stored in Dropbox to be placed in the cloud only — but still be visible in the Finder. Once an online-only file is touched, the file downloads from the cloud and becomes available to be used or edited locally. This is similar (but different) from iCloud Drive in the sense that the user can control which files are removed from the user's computer and stored online only.

It appears that every time TechTool Pro does a file structure test, it downloads the complete file from Dropbox. That takes forever — and it totally defeats the purpose of Dropbox Sync. It also quickly causes the disk on my 16" MacBook Pro to run out of local disk space. (I have a 1 tb SSD — but my Dropbox account has 3 tb of space available.

If TechTool Pro can handle iCloud Drive successfully and bypass files not stored locally, is there a setting to have TechTool Pro treat files not stored locally in the Dropbox folder the same way — not download them? If not, Is it possible to exclude the Dropbox folder from tests?

Thanks.

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dropbox Smart Sync 18 Jun 2020 23:49 #12095

Thanks for your clear and detailed question.

I do not use DropBox myself. It appears that the solution is to temporarily turn off Smart Sync in DropBox:

www.micromat.com/component/kunena/techto...ing-of-invalid-files

If this approach does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Dropbox Smart Sync 19 Jun 2020 23:30 #12098

Thanks for your reply. The purpose of Dropbox Sync (and iCloud Drive) is to provide easy access to files that would occupy more space than available on the local disc. Turning off Dropbox Sync would cause a couple of terabytes of files to start slowly downloading — and somewhere in the middle, the local drive would run out of space to hold them.

The typical laptop comes with a 256 gb or 512 gb drive. I am more fortunate than most. I have a 1 tb drive — but it's really not enough. Between Dropbox Sync (3 tb) and iCloud Drive (2 tb), I have a great setup that gives me constant access to all my files.

Now that Dropbox is including Smart Sync with most (or all) of its paid plans, I hope apps like TechTool Pro can find a way to just ignore the placeholder (alias) files.

The other part of my question was whether there is any way to mark the entire Dropbox folder off limits?

BTW, how does TechTool Pro manage iCloud Drive files when they are in the cloud only? There might be a clue there.

Thanks.

Dropbox Smart Sync 19 Jun 2020 23:51 #12099

You are welcome.

I do not use Drop Box, and do not know why this problem has not been discussed before.

The beta administrator for TechTool Pro informed me that the File Structures test in TechTool Pro ignores reading/validating the Dropbox directory in the user's Home directory and the Dropbox cache file(s) are also ignored for the Volume Cloning tool.

Perhaps your Dropbox directory is not in the standard location, and so is not being ignored as it should.

If this does not solve the problem, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email on Monday. Thanks for your patience.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2020 23:52 by micromattech3.

Dropbox Smart Sync 20 Jun 2020 00:28 #12100

TechTool Pro never tests the files in your Dropbox in the cloud, and is programmed to ignore the Dropbox folder at the top level of your user folder.

You can pause the synch:

help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/s...uploads/pause-resume
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Dropbox Smart Sync 23 Jun 2020 19:45 #12115

Thanks for your reply. I apologize for taking so long to get back.

Actually, my Dropbox folder is in my user directory — and Techtool Pro is indeed testing files in that folder.

I added screenshots below — I don't see them. I also replied by email and attached the screenshots. Thanks. Your reply and suggestions are appreciated.
Attachments:

Dropbox Smart Sync 23 Jun 2020 19:55 #12116

You are welcome, and no apology needed.

Only one screen capture can be posted on the initial posting.It came through.

We will have to try to determine why your Dropbox folder is being examined, when it is supposed to be excluded. Thanks for the additional evidence.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Dropbox Smart Sync 25 Jun 2020 16:04 #12121

I'm having this exact same issue. The scan triggers SmartSync to download local copy of the files stored in DropBox.
I will follow tech3's recommendation to temporarily disable this in DB before I run a scan but I feel this needs to be looked into more deeply.

I am running Catalina 10.15.5 and ensured TTP and the DB app were fully updated.

Thanks!

Dropbox Smart Sync 25 Jun 2020 16:09 #12122

Thanks for your report.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . It is always helpful to have another report of a rare problem. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds