Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: HDD triggers SMART alert

HDD triggers SMART alert 17 Jun 2020 22:57 #12090

I have used TechTool Pro for many years.

The latest upgrade to v12 now shows one of my external drives (a 1TB HDD device) as failing a SMART test each time I connect.

I thought SMART was for SSD not HDD... But even so... is this correct??
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HDD triggers SMART alert 17 Jun 2020 23:04 #12091

SMART testing was originally developed for rotating hard drives, and was later adopted by the makers of SSDs.

Run the SMART test in TechTool Pro, and look at which SMART attribute or attributes are flagged as failing. Then download the manual for our Drive Scope program, and look at the interpretation of the particular SMART attribute or attributes that are flagged as failing:

www.micromat.com/index.php/productmanuals
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

HDD triggers SMART alert 18 Jun 2020 13:36 #12092

OK...

I ran the SMART check and found the result: "Attribute 188 - Command Timeout". The indicator is in the middle between Pass and Fail.
The "Extended Health" is also in the middle between Pass and Fail.

This is an old LaCie 1TB drive that I use for backing up my Bootcamp partition using Winclone. So while the data is not critical to daily work, if I lose it, I will lose my Windows partition backup.

Can I reformat the drive and start over (will that help?), or is the drive actually failing and I should consider replacing it?

Thanks!

HDD triggers SMART alert 18 Jun 2020 13:43 #12093

You are welcome, and thanks for the additional details.

There are some rare cases in which the cable is the culprit here. I suggest you do an online search for the specific model and the SMART attribute 188, and see if there are many reports of this problem.

Here is what our Drive Scope manual says about this particular SMART attribute:

Attribute 188 - Command Timeout

Lower Raw Value is better - Critical Attribute

The number of aborted operations due to drive timeout (drive was unable to read or write properly in a reasonable time period). If the raw value for this attribute is far above zero, it becomes more likely that there is an issue with either the power supply or possibly oxidation of the data cable.

WARNING: If the raw value for this attribute is elevated, backup the data on this hard drive immediately and consider replacing the device as soon as possible.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 18 Jun 2020 13:44 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds