Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TTP12 Volume Structures Test hangs at "unmount" of an already unmounted volume that needs repair

TTP12 Volume Structures Test hangs at "unmount" of an already unmounted volume that needs repair 09 Jan 2020 18:50 #11743

I just upgraded to TTP 12 and I want to repair a RAID volume that won't mount, the Partition check passes but I want to check the volume itself, but the Volume Structures Test starts at "unmounting volume" and stops, I let it run for over 5 minutes, but no progress other than the flashing "Unmount volume" icon and the elapsed time.

Is there a timeout or a command that will kick the Volume Structures Test past the un-needed unmount step?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TTP12 Volume Structures Test hangs at "unmount" of an already unmounted volume that needs repair 09 Jan 2020 19:16 #11744

TechTool Pro supports RAIDs made with Disk Utility. It happens to work with some other types of RAIDs, but there is no way to support RAIDs that use proprietary software.

I have not encountered a case in which TechTool Pro stops at the attempt to unmount a volume that is already unmounted. Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a description of the RAID and what problem you are trying to solve with it.

For future reference, in case you are trying to run the Volume Structures test and it is unable to unmount a volume that is in fact mounted:

The failure to unmount the volume is most often caused by the fact that it has open files.

You can use the lsof command in Terminal to determine what files are open and what processes have them open.
There are detailed instructions for using the lsof command in this thread:

www.micromat.com/component/kunena/techto...t-fusion-drive#10076

In some cases, restarting while logged in as a different administrative user will allow the volume to mount without having the files open. Having files open on an external volume sometimes happens if the volume is a clone of your usual startup volume.

If neither of these approaches helps, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP12 Volume Structures Test hangs at "unmount" of an already unmounted volume that needs repair 09 Jan 2020 19:26 #11745

Thank you, this is an AppleRAID volume created by DiskUtility, which can't mount it, and can't repair it, gives a File System Exit Code 8 error. I was hoping that TTP would work to do a check/repair of the volume, since the MacOS tools aren't working.

I'll send email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

TTP12 Volume Structures Test hangs at "unmount" of an already unmounted volume that needs repair 09 Jan 2020 20:37 #11746

Thanks for the update and for your cooperation.

If the drives in the RAID support the SMART test, it would be helpful to send those test results to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP12 Volume Structures Test hangs at "unmount" of an already unmounted volume that needs repair 09 Jan 2020 20:43 #11747

It would also be helpful to run the Surface Scan test to check the drives in the RAID for umremapped bad blocks.

You may have to interrupt the Surface Scan to do something suggested by This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . If you do have to interrupt the test, make a note of the block number at which the test was halted, so you can resume the test later approximately where you left off. The interface is a slider, and you cannot specify an exact block, but it is easy to make sure that no blocks have been skipped when the test is resumed.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP12 Volume Structures Test hangs at "unmount" of an already unmounted volume that needs repair 12 Jan 2020 15:59 #11752

That is an interesting observation. Have you zap the PRAM after the install - upgrade. I always do that (clear out the old upload parameters for the new data ducks in the row) after every download of what ever software. Also .. as a reminder that the Apple Disk Doctor also mounts and unmounts does that change any thing when putting that in the mix of operations ? Just curious as a diagnostic inquiry.
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds