Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Techtool Pro 11 Keeps failing drive due to SMART check, but Disk Sensei passes

Techtool Pro 11 Keeps failing drive due to SMART check, but Disk Sensei passes 29 Sep 2019 23:57 #11420

Hello all,

Does anyone have any advice on whether to heed Techtool's warning that my drive is failing due to getting a "middle" rating on Current Pending Sector Count and Uncorrectable Sector Count, when Disk Sensei is passing the disk on both factors? Is Techtool just better at sensing these things?

I've attached a screen shot in case I've misstated something or someone has a better ability to read these results.

Any help would be appreciated!
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Techtool Pro 11 Keeps failing drive due to SMART check, but Disk Sensei passes 30 Sep 2019 01:00 #11421

If a SMART parameter is not what it should be but has not reached the point where the drive's own firmware would say that the parameter has definitely failed, the parameter is somewhere in the middle, and the drive is said to be failing. That is what TechTool Pro is reporting.

The Current Pending Sector count could improve if the drive revisits the pending sectors and finds that they are readable. Sectors can get flagged as Pending, meaning "needing further investigation", if they are involved in a read or write event that failed because the computer had to be shut off, or a volume was not properly unmounted. I had such a case last year. Running the Surface Scan in TechTool Pro gave the drive the opportunity to revisit my eight pending sectors. They worked, and were then no longer flagged as pending.

The Uncorrectable Sector Count remains cause for concern. You can get a detailed discussion of all SMART parameters in the manual for our Drive Scope program:

www.micromat.com/index.php/productmanuals
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Techtool Pro 11 Keeps failing drive due to SMART check, but Disk Sensei passes 30 Sep 2019 14:42 #11422

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I just want to double-check, is it possible that TechTool Pro is not detecting those Sector Count attributes? That is to say, maybe the software is expecting to get a value from the HDD, but not? And, then, therefore, reporting the attributes in a near-fail state? I suppose that would be inconsistent with what Disk Sensei is reporting.

What you are saying is that Disk Sensei is simply reading what the HDD's firmware is reporting, and TechTool Pro is independently judging the results or the SMART test, and determining the sufficiency of the results. Is that correct?

Techtool Pro 11 Keeps failing drive due to SMART check, but Disk Sensei passes 30 Sep 2019 14:58 #11423

You are welcome.

TechTool Pro is displaying graphically the data it is reading from the drive's firmware. If the value read read from the firmware is somewhere between ideal and what the drive would report as outright failure, the program reports the attribute as Failing. If it gets sufficiently worse, the Failing will changed to Failure. The is not much of a subjective element about it. Ordinarily, if people want a second opinion about SMART test results, I suggest using the demo of SMART Utiilty from Volitans Software, but oddly enough, both the Firefox and Google Chrome browsers are warning about a security issue with their Website at the moment.

I cannot comment on DIsk Sensei.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 30 Sep 2019 14:59 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds