Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Volume Structures Test Fails If APFS Container Has Two Volumes

Volume Structures Test Fails If APFS Container Has Two Volumes 01 Sep 2019 17:21 #11351

On two different external APFS drives, Volume Structures runs normally when there is only one volume. After a second APFS volume is added to the container using Disk Utility, Volume Structures stalls on each volume with the selected volume unmounted and the Freeze Volume light blinking. If the added volume is removed, the test again runs normally on the remaining volume.

My system: 2018 Mac mini, Mojave 10.14.6, TechTool Pro 11.0.5. One test drive was a USB spinning disk attached directly to the Mac, the other a Thunderbolt SSD attached through an Akitio Thunderdock and Apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Volume Structures Test Fails If APFS Container Has Two Volumes 01 Sep 2019 17:49 #11352

Thanks for your clear and detailed report.

I am surprised that no one else has reported this outcome with the Volume Structures test and a drive with two APFS volumes in the same APFS container.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email on Tuesday, Monday being a holiday in the USA.

In the meantime, please run the Surface Scan two check the drives for unremapped bad blocks or memory cells. While that is unlikely to be the source of the problem, it must be eliminated as a variable. Thanks for your cooperation, and for describing the situation so clearly.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Structures Test Fails If APFS Container Has Two Volumes 12 Sep 2019 21:20 #11377

We have reproduced the problem and expect to have it fixed in the next update.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Structures Test Fails If APFS Container Has Two Volumes 15 Sep 2019 22:14 #11385

I have the problem as well. Looking forward to your update. Thanks.

Volume Structures Test Fails If APFS Container Has Two Volumes 15 Sep 2019 22:17 #11386

Thanks for your report and your patience.

The fact that there are only two reports so far suggests that people are not experimenting much with APFS.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds