Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Clone tool crashes EVERY time

Clone tool crashes EVERY time 03 Aug 2019 21:53 #11278

Having just upgraded 3 licenses to v11 and attempting to clone a startup drive to a brand new USB drive, imagine my frustration as each attempt results in an "Unexpected Quit" and yet another crash report sent off to Apple.

Could use some help
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Clone tool crashes EVERY time 03 Aug 2019 21:58 #11279

Thanks for your report.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email on Monday, and may be asked to send in some additional information, such as an Apple System Information report.

The Cloning Tool makes use of copy engines that are supplied as part of the system software, so what crashed is likely to be Apple's code.

In some cases, crashes that occur during the cloning of a volume are caused by directory errors or unremapped bad blocks. The disk directory of the source and destination volumes should be checked using the Volume Structures test or Disk Utility, and the two devices should be checked for unremapped bad blocks using the Surface Scan test.

The cloning tools are intended to allow copying data from one volume to another, but it is preferable not to use them to try to create bootable copies of bootable volumes. For that, I would suggest that you use either Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper! A bootable volume is not simply a collection of files on a volume. Several commands must be run to make the collection of files be recognized by the operating system as a bootable volume.

There are files that Apple recommends for exclusion from a bootable copy of a bootable volume. These files are excluded by both Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper!. Bombich has a list of these excluded files on their Website, while Super Duper’s log shows the exclusions each time the program makes a backup of a bootable volume.

The File Cloning tool can be used to copy files from one volume used to store files to another. It copies at the file level, and updates the disk directory of the destination volume as files are copied to it.

The Volume Cloning tool copies all of the bits from the source volume to the destination volume, including the disk directory and any errors it contains, and the data in the free space that is not currently part of a file. Because it copies all of the bits on the source volume to the destination volume, the destination volume must be equal to or greater in size than the source volume. Only if the two volumes are precisely equal in size can you use this tool to copy files from volume A to volume B, and then from volume B back to volume A. The advantage of this tool is that because it copies bits, it is faster than copying files.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Clone tool crashes EVERY time 03 Aug 2019 22:06 #11280

The crash occurs before any copying takes place, before the request to authenticate with the admin password. So, while the above is much appreciated and intellectually stimulating, it isn't going to get me migrated to my new 27" iMac, at least not with your tools.

reverting to SuperDuper! (free)

Clone tool crashes EVERY time 03 Aug 2019 22:12 #11281

Thanks for the update.

I would appreciate it if you would contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , and see if the most recent beta of the program solves the problem you have described. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Clone tool crashes EVERY time 03 Aug 2019 23:20 #11282

Done. Thanks

Clone tool crashes EVERY time 03 Aug 2019 23:23 #11283

You are welcome, and thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds