Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: updating MacOS on the edrive without deleting the edrive and reloading it.

updating MacOS on the edrive without deleting the edrive and reloading it. 19 Jul 2019 19:45 #11267

I updated my TechTool Pro the other day, both on the main drive on my computer (MadBook Pro 15 inch, 2018) as well as on the edrive, when I noticed that the edrive MacOS was version 10.14.4 while the version on my main drive was 10.14.5.
I restarted the computer in edrive and using "software update" in system preferences was notified that I did not have an internet connection. However, I used Safari and was able to connect just fine to just about everything except "Software Update" and the "App Store". Is there some kind of block preventing use of software update while in edrive without removing it and rebuilding it?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

updating MacOS on the edrive without deleting the edrive and reloading it. 19 Jul 2019 22:12 #11268

There probably is such a block, because you should not use Software Update to update the system software on the eDrive.

The system software on the eDrive is a subset of macOS that allows you to boot the computer and run the applications that are copied to the eDrive when it is created. If the system software updater were used to update the eDrive, and it tried to update a file that is not part of the system software on the eDrive, a problem could result.

Be sure to make a backup of all of the volumes on the device containing the eDrive before you remove it and create a new one. Removing or adding a partition from a device involves writing to the partition map on the device, and Apple has always recommended making a backup before undertaking that task.

On the other hand, when a new version of TechTool Pro is released, you can boot from the eDrive, wait for TechTool Pro to launch, and then use its "Check for Update" feature to update the copy of TechTool Pro on the eDrive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.347 seconds