Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Protogo USB Drive not working on a Late 2012 iMac

Protogo USB Drive not working on a Late 2012 iMac 06 Jul 2019 15:30 #11225

I made a Protogo USB Drive and finally got it to run on my girlfriend's MacBook but can not get it to start up on her iMac (Late 2012 21.5in) it just hangs at the end of the initial progress bar.
I gave up on it after a couple of hours and now it's (the iMac) is booting up with a different textured background and only one user whose password we do not have!
I'm trying again with the USB drive and will leave it over night to try and test it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Protogo USB Drive not working on a Late 2012 iMac 06 Jul 2019 15:49 #11226

A Protogo device gets its system software from the computer on which it was made. It may not boot another model, because it will not have the video driver for the other model.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo USB Drive not working on a Late 2012 iMac 06 Jul 2019 16:12 #11227

But why does this inability of a Protogo drive to run on a different model of Mac from mine leave that Mac unusable?

Protogo USB Drive not working on a Late 2012 iMac 06 Jul 2019 16:20 #11228

I do not know why the failed boot attempt had the consequences you described.

If you have a Time Machine backup, you could start from the Recovery volume and then restore from the Time Machine backup:

support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

If that is not an option, I suggest trying the Apple Support Forums to see if there is a way to be presented with all of the user accounts at startup. I have not seen that option in years, and do not recall what caused it to appear. I regret that I cannot be more helpful with this.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo USB Drive not working on a Late 2012 iMac 06 Jul 2019 16:44 #11229

So as I'm running Mohave I can't make a Protogo USB Drive for older Macs?

Protogo USB Drive not working on a Late 2012 iMac 06 Jul 2019 17:06 #11230

If you want to make a Protogo device for a given model, you must install TechTool Pro on that model, connect a drive to that model, and then make the Protogo device. The fact that you are running Mojave on another model is not relevant.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo USB Drive not working on a Late 2012 iMac 06 Jul 2019 17:10 #11231

I thought that the point of a Protogo drive was to use on OTHER Macs and if I were to instal TTP on another Mac I'd have to pay for another license?

Protogo USB Drive not working on a Late 2012 iMac 06 Jul 2019 17:15 #11232

There is nothing we can do about the way Apple installs system software. In most cases, system software from one model cannot boot another model. Apple used to provide universal installers that could boot a range of models, but stopped doing that when they stopped distributing the installers on DVD discs. Since the switch to SSD drives, it does make sense not to install unnecessary files on a particular model.

Additional licenses are very inexpensive. You can contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , and should receive a reply on Monday. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo USB Drive not working on a Late 2012 iMac 06 Jul 2019 17:33 #11233

Could Micromat not implement a Target Model button for the Protogo build process that would then install the required driver?
Do you have any insight into why my favourite email client Thunderbird ceased being able to send emails (iCloud nonsense!) at the same time as I couldn't send reports to MicroMat?

Protogo USB Drive not working on a Late 2012 iMac 06 Jul 2019 18:25 #11234

The system software for a given model is likely to have only the files needed for that model. We could not copy a video driver that is not there, and even if the video driver for a different model were there, copying it could violate the terms of service under which developers are allowed to use the system software. This issue arose months ago.

The video driver is a good example; there can be other files that are model-specific.

I have no experience with using Thunderbird. In general, the email alerts feature of TechTool Pro uses the same settings as those that you would use in Apple Mail for your ISP. Sometimes, ISPs change which ports they want you to use. If you contact your ISP, and get the right ports, you might be able to solve the problem. Sending a screen capture of the way you have the email alerts configured to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. might result in a suggestion on Monday. The screen captures have confidential information, so they do not belong in a forum.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds