Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: clone boot HD when target drive is 200MB smaller than boot HD

clone boot HD when target drive is 200MB smaller than boot HD 09 Jun 2019 18:58 #11155

I have an older but still functional 500GB SSD that I want to use as a bootable clone of the internal drive, which is also 500GB. However, the internal drive is 200MB bigger so I can not simply perform a volume clone.

How can I make this slightly smaller drive be a bootable drive and a clone of my internal drive?

Thanks!
tom
The administrator has disabled public write access.

clone boot HD when target drive is 200MB smaller than boot HD 09 Jun 2019 19:21 #11156

The cloning tools are intended to allow copying data from one volume to another, but it is preferable not to use them to try to create bootable copies of bootable volumes. For that, I would suggest that you use either Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper! A bootable volume is not simply a collection of files on a volume. Several commands must be run to make the collection of files be recognized by the operating system as a bootable volume.

There are files that Apple recommends for exclusion from a bootable copy of a bootable volume. These files are excluded by both Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper!. Bombich has a list of these excluded files on their Website, while Super Duper’s log shows the exclusions each time the program makes a backup of a bootable volume.

The File Cloning tool can be used to copy files from one volume used to store files to another. It copies at the file level, and updates the disk directory of the destination volume as files are copied to it.

The Volume Cloning tool copies all of the bits from the source volume to the destination volume, including the disk directory and any errors it contains, and the data in the free space that is not currently part of a file. Because it copies all of the bits on the source volume to the destination volume, the destination volume must be equal to or greater in size than the source volume. Only if the two volumes are precisely equal in size can you use this tool to copy files from volume A to volume B, and then from volume B back to volume A. The advantage of this tool is that because it copies bits, it is faster than copying files.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

clone boot HD when target drive is 200MB smaller than boot HD 09 Jun 2019 19:33 #11157

I will look into Carbon Copy! Thanks for the advise!

tom

clone boot HD when target drive is 200MB smaller than boot HD 09 Jun 2019 19:44 #11158

You are welcome.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.366 seconds