Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email.

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 19 May 2019 04:02 #11087

Hi.

I have an ongoing problem with TechTool Protection trying to send email notifications. Assuming I have the right password, I get the error message: "TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. (07) SMTP Server --> 500 command unrecognized". Is this a problem with TTP or with my email account/program/password? Currently running TTP 11.0.3 on iMac 2008 (B&W) with OSX 10.11,6 (El Capitan). Any suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 19 May 2019 12:14 #11088

Please send a screen capture of the way you have your Email Alerts pane configured, showing the servers and ports, and the account name, to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.

In some cases, the problem is the port number, and in others, adding or removing the domain name from the account name works.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 20 May 2019 05:32 #11093

Hi. Thanks for your prompt response. Enclosed is a screen-shot of the TechTool Protection email settings. I can't see the attachment in the Preview. I've tried 3 times, but still can't see it. I'm assuming the file is attached. Thanks for the help!
Last Edit: 20 May 2019 09:59 by micromattech3.

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 20 May 2019 10:01 #11094

You are welcome.

Please send the screen capture to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . I cannot have it posted here, because it has your email address in it, and you may get a lot of spam as a result.

You should find out what port is recommended by your ISP. Port 25 is usually blocked by any ISP by default, as part of their spam reduction efforts.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: rprochot

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 May 2019 20:05 #11103

After many years of trying to send email alerts, and failing, I just found the answer:

Port 25 is monitored for SPAM. According to my ISP it does not require Authentication.
When I removed the Check-mark for "Use SMTP Authentication" The email alert was sent just fine.

THANK YOU!

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 May 2019 20:19 #11104

i am using Port 25 (By Default). A LONG and more COMPLETE ANSWER:

According to my ISP:
"For sending, there is no authentication on port 25.
Otherwise you'd want to use the following setting if wanting to use authentication on sending...
Outgoing Mail Server: mail.(INSERT ISP SERVER HERE).(COUNTRY EXTENSION HERE) - Eg. "mail.bestprogram.ca"
Server Type: SMTP
SSL: on
Port: 587
Authentication: Plain Text or Password
With this authenticated method, the user name is email address without @bestprogram.ca, and then your password.

You can try with authentication disabled, and leave it on port 25. Or change to the provided information above to use with authentication."

Hope this helps some-one else with a the same issues. THANKS for all your help.

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 May 2019 21:24 #11105

You are welcome, and thanks for both of your last postings. I will forward the details provided by your ISP to the beta administrator for TechTool Pro.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 22 May 2019 06:19 #11106

Again, THANKS for your help, and for leading me to my ISP.

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 22 May 2019 10:09 #11107

You are welcome, and the beta administrator for TechTool Pro was pleased to get the information you provided regarding your ISP. Thanks again.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jun 2019 23:21 #11206

None of these options as presented do not work. I have tried all the options Apple gave me and all the options Comcast gave me. No luck. Will seriously consider not investing any more money as this has been an ongoing issue for me for over a year.

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 22 Jun 2019 02:10 #11207

Please send a screen capture of the way you have your Email Alerts set up in the TechTool Protection system preferences pane to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email on Monday. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 20 Oct 2019 20:25 #11475

I am getting an error message whenever TTP 11 tries to send to send out an email alert. It says "SMTP timeout waiting for server ready.

Just guessing at the reason: I have no problems with email alerts working or sending email using the same server settings on other programs. I know my email server could possibly be a little slow because it is on a shared system (currently hosted on GoDaddy). Is there any way to increase the default timeout waiting period so I can test if that is the problem? Would it help to use a non-secure outgoing email?
Attachments:

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 20 Oct 2019 21:10 #11476

Thanks for your clear and detailed report, and for removing your email address from the screen capture.

I have not encounter this particular error before, and suspect that a programmer may have to look at a log file to see what might be done to solve the problem. Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email on Monday. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 26 Oct 2019 05:25 #11483

I do have the same trouble with Gmail. I changed the App password, but it didn't work.

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 26 Oct 2019 12:35 #11484

Please send a screen capture of the way your have the Email alerts feature configured to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email on Monday. Thank you.

Your ISP can tell you what port you should be using. It is the same one that Apple Mail would use.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 26 Oct 2019 13:34 by micromattech3.

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 00:53 #11773

Hi

I am getting the same error message whenever TTP 11 tries to send to send out an email alert.

It says "SMTP timeout waiting for server ready.

I sent an email today with a screenshot of my set up.

Hopefully you can help me solve this mystery.

Ty
Wazzjazz

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 01:19 #11774

Thanks for your report and your cooperation. As mentioned earlier, you may need to contact your ISP to find out what port should be used for outgoing mail.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 01:26 #11775

Hi, I contacted my ISP and they told me port 465 which I entered into your software. Only to get the error message reported

"SMTP timeout waiting for server ready.

The ISP requires two factory authentication so I set up and app password and I still get the same message when I use this password.

Any suggestions?

Wazzjazz

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 01:38 #11776

The only suggestion I can make is to find out whether SSL or TLS authentication is required. If it is not, then uncheck that box. Some email services do not support those authentications.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 01:48 #11777

Hi According to Rogers.com (ISP) SSL/TLS is required.

This might have something to do with the two factor authentication.

Have you had any reported issues when the ISP requires two factor authentication?

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 01:57 #11778

I am going to have to ask about that tomorrow.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 02:04 #11779

We have a Knowledge Base article about email alerts with two-factor authentication, but I suspect you have already done what is suggested in the article.

The Knowledge Base article is at www.micromat.com/support/knowledge-base/...or-authentication-12
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 02:13 #11780

Hi, I did review this and I am not using a gmail or an iCloud email account so I do not think it applies.

Regards
Wazzjazz

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 02:17 #11781

Thanks for the update, and I hope this issue will be able to be solved tomorrow. You may need to have your ISP help you with the two-factor authentication. iCloud and Gmail are just two of the services that require it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 06:21 #11782

I have my email accounts on a mail server under a web domain that I personally administrate. Somehow, the alerts email I have been using with Micromat and Tech Tool Pro for 15 years, just stopped working for TTP Email Alerts in late 2019 (TTP gives me a server timeout error). Nothing that I am aware of had changed except perhaps that my web hosting company, Go Daddy, may have moved my account onto a different physical server platform. I am not aware of any problems with any of my emails being sent through any other application or service.

I have consumed far too many cycles trying to figure out what could be causing this problem. I changed no settings on my email account, server or in TechTool Protection, and previously had this TTP email alerting feature working flawlessly for many years. I am able to successfully add my TTP alerts email to other programs and email clients and have consistently sent and received email messages through several platforms using that email account (all with the same SMTP settings). Though the good people at Micromat have looked at my log files and vaguely suggested what I might do to resolve the problem, there appears to be no straightforward solution. If you are still at your wits' end trying to get this feature to resume working, I suggest you just disable TTP Email Alerts indefinitely and save yourself further frustration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jk#3

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 23:21 #11789

Plz check out my conversation last year, in the forum, last year here: <<LNK: <www.micromat.com/component/kunena/techto...ng-alert-email#11104>

More elongated answer will follow.

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 23:26 #11790

Thanks for posting the link to your contribution to this subject.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 23:30 #11791

I hope I'm nit breaching protocol, but I'm not sure how to link to my previous discussions regarding this subject last year, so here it is in a nut shell (SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATE POSTING):

1) After many years of TTP trying to send email alerts, and failing, I just found the answer:

Port 25 is monitored for SPAM. According to my ISP it does not require Authentication.
When I removed the Check-mark for "Use SMTP Authentication" The email alert was sent just fine.

2) i am using Port 25 (By Default). A LONG and more COMPLETE ANSWER:

According to my ISP:
"For sending, there is no authentication on port 25.
Otherwise you'd want to use the following setting if wanting to use authentication on sending...
Outgoing Mail Server: mail.(INSERT ISP SERVER HERE).(COUNTRY EXTENSION HERE) - Eg. "mail.bestprogram.ca"
Server Type: SMTP
SSL: on
Port: 587
Authentication: Plain Text or Password
With this authenticated method, the user name is email address without @bestprogram.ca, and then your password.

You can try with authentication disabled, and leave it on port 25. Or change to the provided information above to use with authentication."

Hope this helps some-one else with a the same issues.
THANKS to Micromat Tech Support & this forum for ALL your help. (I've has no problems in the past year & TTP is working GREAT!)

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 23:35 #11792

PS - FYI: I am running a 24" Early 2008 iMac w. 2.8 GHz Processor & OSX 10.11.6;
TTP Version 11.0.5

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 23:37 #11793

You are welcome! I spent years trying to resolve it.

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 21 Jan 2020 23:45 #11794

Thanks for updating this thread with the solution you and your ISP worked out.

I am surprised that your ISP lets you use Port 25. Many ISPs block it by default for sending email. They must trust you are not a spammer.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 22 Jan 2020 00:23 #11795

Thank you rprochot, your post solved my issue when both my ISP and tech support could not.

Thanks again.

Wazzjazz

TechTool Protection had a problem sending alert email. 22 Jan 2020 01:49 #11796

Glad to help. It's a nice feeling to be able to provide some useful input after almost 30 years of receiving help from the many participants of this forum. Once again: THANK YOU ALL!
The following user(s) said Thank You: micromattech3
Time to create page: 0.446 seconds