Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: How long does a volume structures scan take?

How long does a volume structures scan take? 11 Apr 2019 14:29 #10974

I just upgraded to TT 11. My first scan has completed up to the Volume structures scan. It's elipsed time is now over 143 hours at the Freeze Volume step and I am wondering if this is normal?
I am running an Late 2012 iMac with a 1TB fusion drive and it has less than 50GB of free space.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How long does a volume structures scan take? 11 Apr 2019 14:46 #10975

There is no way to estimate how long a Volume Structures test should take, because it depends on the number of files and folders and how fragmented the files are (each piece has its own directory entry). However, 143 hours is too long for a 1TB drive, even if the test actually gets underway. In your case, it appears that the Apple code used to freeze the volume, so its disk directory can be examined, failed to make progress. Freezing a volume takes less than a minute. After the volume is frozen, the program can then examine the disk directory.

Because the Volume Structures test is read-only, you can quit it, or force quit it if necessary.

I would appreciate it if you would send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. There may be some error messages in log files that we should take a look at. Thank you.

As a rule, a bootable volume should have at least 15% free space.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

How long does a volume structures scan take? 11 Apr 2019 15:48 #10976

If you run TechTool Pro from an eDrive, a Protogo device, or a bootable volume with macOS and TechTool Pro installed on it, the Volume Structures test can unmount the volume you were trying to examine before, rather than freeze it. Run the Volume Structures test separately, rather than as part of the Check Computer suite of tests.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

How long does a volume structures scan take? 02 Jun 2019 22:19 #11143

There may be a new bug. I am running "Check Computer" on newly installed Mojave with TTP 11.0.3 and it was stuck on "Freeze Volume" on the APFS boot volume for a few hours before I canceled it. I am a long-time user of TTP and do not recall this ever happening before.

How long does a volume structures scan take? 02 Jun 2019 22:33 #11144

Thanks for your report.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email on Monday, and may be asked to send in some additional information, such as an Apple System Information report and some log files. You may also be asked to test a beta build of the program intended to address the problem you have reported. Thanks for your cooperation.

In the meantime, you may have better results if you run the tests separately, rather than as part of the Check Computer suite of tests.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds