Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: APFS - AGAIN no support

APFS - AGAIN no support 17 Feb 2019 22:08 #10749

Version 9 didn't have it, and when I asked about it I was told "probably in a future version".
So I upgraded to V10 when it was released - sadly no support for APFS.
So I upgraded to V11 when it was released - after all, the promotional stuff said "now fully compatible with Mojave".
So, I formatted my USB stick in APFS and created a ProToGo drive.
TTP promptly re-formatted it in Mac OS Extended.
When I started up from the ProToGo drive, and did some disk TLC on my Mac, I saw that wonderful message "APFS not supported"
I leave it to your imagination how many new words I invented.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

APFS - AGAIN no support 17 Feb 2019 22:12 #10750

Apple has yet to document how to write to APFS volumes at the file system level. They have documented how to read from APFS volumes (152 pages worth). Until Apple provides the documentation, no developer can fully support APFS.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

APFS - AGAIN no support 19 Feb 2019 00:58 #10755

so can rebuild a APFS drive

APFS - AGAIN no support 19 Feb 2019 01:06 #10756

MacTechies,

The forums are moderated. New postings do not appear until they are approved by a moderator. I have deleted your duplicate posting.

From the TechTool Pro 11.0.1 manual, page 6.7 (page 58 of 135 of the pdf file):

"When running Volume Rebuild on APFS volumes, a full directory optimization is not yet available. However, directory errors can be repaired."

The directory optimization referred to, which can be done for HFS+ volumes, puts the disk directory records into an order that is somewhat more efficient for those making extensive use of the Finder to navigate among files. Given the speeds of modern drives, it is probably not something the typical user would always notice.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

APFS - AGAIN no support 19 Feb 2019 01:20 #10757

"When running Volume Rebuild on APFS volumes, a full directory optimization is not yet available. However, directory errors can be repaired." will this fix most problems or just some or very little

APFS - AGAIN no support 19 Feb 2019 01:24 #10758

The extent to which disk directory errors on APFS volumes can be repaired is no more knowable than it is for HFS+ volumes.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

APFS - AGAIN no support 19 Feb 2019 01:26 #10759

We it fix most problems ?

APFS - AGAIN no support 19 Feb 2019 01:28 #10760

There are not enough reports of people's experience with attempts to repair APFS volumes to answer that.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

APFS - AGAIN no support 19 Feb 2019 22:54 #10767

It is understandable to conclude that Mojave support and APFS support would mean the same thing. However, the operating system and the file system are, in fact, distinct from one another. While the operating system serves as the 'window' for interacting with drives in many ways, there is no API for dealing with the disk directly.

Micromattech3 has correctly pointed out that the current documentation from Apple does not include sufficient information to write a tool to defragment APFS volumes. The extent of the documentation on the subject so far is a feature flag labeled NX_FEATURE_DEFRAG which indicates whether an APFS container supports defragmentation.

If Apple releases additional documentation that provides sufficient information for manipulating the data directly on disk, we will explore whether a defragmentation feature is feasible for *rotational* APFS drives. Defragmentation on Solid State Drives in the traditional sense will not be supported, as organizing data on solid state devices only serves to increase wear, and provides no performance benefit.

- Micromat Development Team
Last Edit: 19 Feb 2019 22:55 by Chrisf. Reason: Source Attribution

APFS - AGAIN no support 19 Feb 2019 23:29 #10768

Christ,

Thanks for the additional details about support for APFS volumes.

I hope that NX_FEATURE_DEFRAG will soon be followed by many pages in the spirit of the famous TN1150, complete with the amusing remarks about coffee consumption that were deleted as the document matured.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

APFS - AGAIN no support 20 Feb 2019 14:20 #10775

Arthur Carter,

These forums are for technical support. Questions about sales can be sent to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

APFS - AGAIN no support 31 Mar 2019 12:06 #10937

I have been a paid user of Techtool Pro since it opened shop.

Please make your software available for full APFS functionality as soon as possible. It is why I choose Micromat for my MacOS disk repair functionality.

Thanks very much

APFS - AGAIN no support 31 Mar 2019 12:33 #10938

Providing full support for APFS is entirely dependent on Apple releasing the required documentation for developers. So far, only the documentation explaining the APIs for reading APFS volumes has been released. It is about 140 pages long. We need similar documentation for writing to APFS volumes.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

APFS - AGAIN no support 31 Mar 2019 13:10 #10939

Thank you so much for the specifics, it really helps the consumer to know things like that. Otherwise we feel (unjustifiably) that you are not complying out of lack of interest!

Keep up the great work

H

APFS - AGAIN no support 31 Mar 2019 15:51 #10940

You are welcome, and thanks for your kind comment.

To give you an idea of what is required, this is the basic document for the earlier HFS+ volume format:

Technical Note TN1150: HFS Plus Volume Format
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

APFS - AGAIN no support 31 Mar 2019 18:17 #10942

Sounds similar to the old European case against the Microsoft browser, and FOR the Netscape browser !
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds