Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Freezes during Computer Check

Freezes during Computer Check 12 Feb 2019 02:34 #10668

I just purchased and installed TTP 11 and upgraded to 11.0.1. Each time I run a Computer Check the program freezes while testing the File Structures, specifically the Snapshot Metadata Tree. The entire computer is frozen and I must perform a hard shutdown. My system is running Mojave 10.14.3. Also each time I start up TTP 11, I get the message "TechTool Pro 11 is trying to install a new helper tool" even though I have repeatedly performed this action.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unholz

Freezes during Computer Check 12 Feb 2019 02:52 #10669

Thanks for your report.

Please run the File Structures test separately, by going to Tests-->File Structures, and choosing the relevant volume. If the test freezes, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email. In the meantime, please do not delete any log files. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Freezes during Computer Check 12 Feb 2019 02:59 #10670

There is a previous report of the program repeatedly asking for the helper tool:

Constantly Asking For Helper Install
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 12 Feb 2019 03:00 by micromattech3.

Freezes during Computer Check 12 Feb 2019 03:02 #10671

The File Structures test runs properly when I only run that test. It also runs in a fraction of the time that it was taking when I ran the complete suite of tests. Is there a reason why I can't run the complete suite of tests. Also do I need to install the new helper tool each time I start up TTP 11?

Freezes during Computer Check 12 Feb 2019 03:10 #10672

Thanks to timing, you may not have seen my reply above, which suggests using the TechTool Pro installer to uninstall and reinstall the program to solve the helper tool problem.

Thanks for letting us know that the File Structures test runs properly when the test is run separately. In the past, there have been a few cases in which relatively rare file types, when flagged as possible problems, caused the program to crash.

If you still get a crash when you run File Structures as part of the Check Computer suite of tests after uninstalling and reinstalling the program, please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . We need to see the relevant crash logs, which should provide clues to what is happening. Thank you for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Freezes during Computer Check 12 Feb 2019 03:36 #10673

I tried uninstalling and the re-installing TTP 11 but the program still continually asks to install a new helper tool. Also I was wrong about which test was running when TTP 11 is freezing. It's actually the Volume Structures test that is running and the program freezes even when I just run that test.

Freezes during Computer Check 12 Feb 2019 03:42 #10674

Thanks for continuing to explore the issue.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , as described above. You will receive a reply by email.

In the meantime, it is extremely rare for the Volume Structures test to crash when it is run as a separate test. Please run the Surface Scan test to check the device on which the volume resides for unremapped bad blocks. Due to changes Apple made in security in Mojave, running the Surface Scan test requires restarting from a bootable volume on a device other than the one to be scanned. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 12 Feb 2019 21:10 by micromattech3.

Freezes during Computer Check 12 Feb 2019 21:12 #10682

CharlieB,

The cause of the request that the helper tool be installed at each launch of TechTool Pro has been determined. Some installations of Mojave are missing an important permission.

The relevant Knowledge Base article, written by the beta administrator for TechTool Pro and the author of the manual, is here:

TechTool Pro 11 is asking to install the Helper Tool upon application launch

I suggest that you copy and paste the Terminal commands that can be used to solve the missing permissions problem.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 12 Feb 2019 21:12 by micromattech3.

Freezes during Computer Check 12 Feb 2019 23:01 #10683

Having problems similar to those in the thread. Installed 11.0.1 (update), ran a few tests with info problem. Ran volume check and it locked up after the first couple of green lights. Waited 10 min and rebooted computer. Ran test again and it locked up immediately. Rebooted computer. Went to Surface Scan and drive is recognized but run options are greyed out (i.e., cannot start test). Removed and reinstalled. Was asked for serial number (didn't happen the first time.....) and was told to add helper program. Quit program and relaunched. Told to add helper program. What would be the next troubleshooting step?

Freezes during Computer Check 12 Feb 2019 23:07 #10684

rjpalmer,

If you are using High Sierra or Mojave, running the Surface Scan requires restarting from a bootable volume containing TechTool Pro that is on a device different from the one to be scanned. This is explained on page 5.12 of the TechTool Pro 11.0.1 manual:

NOTE Starting in macOS 10.13, Surface Scan is not available on the physical disk containing the startup volume. A TechTool Protogo device or eDrive on a separate physical disk can be used to run Surface Scan on these disks.

After you run the Surface Scan, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. about the problem you have encountered with the Volume Structures test. You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.

The "helper tool" problem is addressed in the posting above yours, which links to a new Knowledge Base article.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 12 Feb 2019 23:10 by micromattech3.

Freezes during Computer Check 13 Feb 2019 17:47 #10691

I created an external bootable drive and ran the surface scan test. The test revealed no bad blocks. I tried running the volume structures test which failed with the message "Validation Error Encountered". I then followed the instructions you provided to eliminate the constant Helper Tool installation request. After I did that, I restarted the computer and TechTool Pro 11. When I did that, it not only eliminated the request to install the Helper Tool upon application launch, but it also eliminated my problems with the Volume Structures test. I can run the Volume Structures test by itself or with the Computer Check suite. Thanks for your help in resolving my problems.

Freezes during Computer Check 13 Feb 2019 18:03 #10694

CharlieB,

You are welcome, and thanks for letting us know that both problems are solved. Apparently, the need to install the helper tool was interfering with the Volume Structures test and causing a false diagnosis of "failure".
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Freezes during Computer Check 16 Feb 2019 18:46 #10717

I have literally spent (or rather: wasted) hours today trying to run TTP 11. First the ordeal with enabling Full Disk Access (described in another topic), and now exactly the same freezing issues as described by CharlieB. If I hadn't happen to stumble over this support forum by sheer chance, I would probably have chucked out TTP 11 forever. Sorry, but aren't there any SIMPLE solutions for all these bugs? I am certainly not going to learn any "Terminal" commands, because that application is really not usable by the average layman.

Freezes during Computer Check 16 Feb 2019 19:28 #10718

I am sorry, but there is no simple solution to the problem caused by the fact that some people's installations of Mojave do not have the necessary group permission on the folder.

You do not have to learn the Terminal commands. You need only to copy and paste them. Once the permissions problem has been solved on your installation of Mojave. it should not return. This problem affects all programs that require elevated access, not just TechTool Pro.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Freezes during Computer Check 16 Feb 2019 19:54 #10719

I admit using the terminal app to enter commands isn't straightforward but my installation of TTP11 has worked fine since I entered the required commands. I also installed TTP11 on my wife's MacBook Pro without any problems. It's only a few months old but is still running High Sierra. My only suggestion would be that Micromat provide customers with instructions to check their installation of Mojave to see if the group permissions are correct and, if not, how to make the appropriate changes.

Freezes during Computer Check 16 Feb 2019 20:01 #10720

CharlieB,

Thanks for recounting your experience.

I have forwarded your suggestion to the beta administrator for TechTool Pro. It would be helpful to be able to have people check first, rather than encounter this problem. It would be even better if Apple fixed the problem.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds