Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Will Not Create eDrive

Will Not Create eDrive 11 Feb 2019 15:03 #10646

Running Mojave 10.14.3 on a Macbook pro with 1 TB SSD drive. Full disk access set. Macintosh HD volume has 273 GB free space. Installed TTP 11 update. When I try to create eDrive on the Macintosh HD volume it fails. Says container doesn't have enough space. Mac HD volume has plenty (273GB) of space so why wont TTP 11 create the eDrive? Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Will Not Create eDrive 11 Feb 2019 15:10 #10647

Thanks for your clear and detailed report.

If the drive were a rotational drive, it would be worth exploring in the Volume Optimization preview window the size of the largest piece of disk space that is both free and contiguous (identified as "largest"), but that is not an issue with an SSD, as far as I know.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in some additional information, such as an Apple System Information report. If you could include a screen capture of the error message, that would be helpful. You may be asked later to test a beta build of the program intended to solve the problem you have reported. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Will Not Create eDrive 11 Feb 2019 20:00 #10661

"When I try to create eDrive on the Macintosh HD volume it fails. Says container doesn't have enough space. Mac HD volume has plenty (273GB) of space so why wont TTP 11 create the eDrive? "

There is a distinction in APFS between free space on an individual volume and free space in the APFS container in which the volume resides. That may be relevant in this situation.

Will Not Create eDrive 11 Feb 2019 20:51 #10667

daveax,

That is true, and I have yet to see a definitive explanation of how one can tell how much free space is actually on a single APFS volume in a particular APFS container. The free space is usually shown as the sum of the free space on all of the APFS volumes in a given APFS container, because if a file is being written to a particular APFS volume, and that volume runs out of space, the remainder of the file can be written to another APFS volume in the same APFS container. The concept is called space sharing.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 11 Feb 2019 20:51 by micromattech3.

Will Not Create eDrive 12 Feb 2019 06:09 #10675

Space sharing is a major feature of APFS. However, there is a mechanism to partially override it at the time a volume is created.

When creating an APFS volume in a container, you can specify either or both of the "reserve" and "quota" size options for the volume.

The reserve option guarantees that, if successfully created, the volume can store a minimum of the reserve space, regardless of space sharing. You can use this to prevent running out of capacity due to competition from other volumes, or from a container shrink attempt.

There is also a matching option for "quota" size of a volume. This sets a limit on the number of bytes of user file data that can be stored on the volume, assuming the parent container doesn't get filled up first.

So, going back to paul E's original problem, I'm wondering if the MacHD volume had a reserve set that may be preventing it from giving up some space to the eDrive.

I'd also wonder if there are any other volumes -- APFS or HFS+ -- on that SSD that might affect the ability to create the eDrive.

Will Not Create eDrive 12 Feb 2019 10:46 #10677

daveau,

Thanks for the details about APFS volumes and containers. I am looking forward to learning the details about why the eDrive could not be created in this case.

This article is from 2018, but is a good overview of using Disk Utility with APFS. It mentions the reserve size and quota size you referred to:

Partition Drives & Create APFS 'Containers' for Space Sharing with Disk Utility.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 12 Feb 2019 13:53 by micromattech3.

Will Not Create eDrive 14 Feb 2019 16:19 #10695

Check your permissions for all your apps, incl. TT 11; click on the app and go to info., check the bottom of the info to see who is permitted- if your name does not appear, unlock with computer password, click on +, choose your name from contacts, and repeat until you see your name added to the list, click on "read only" and scroll to "read and write", click on r & w, lock. When opening TT message should read "add icon to Full Disk access in Security Preferences "Full Disk Access"; unlock Security pane with computer password, scroll to Privacy, scroll to FDA, drag icon on message to pane, lock. Unless you have high security stuff on your computer, do not use encryption, it just slows everything down. Leave Firewall on, has no affect on speed or function. Let us know if this works.

Will Not Create eDrive 15 Feb 2019 00:50 #10707

Adding myself to the TTP11 permisions with read & write privleges did not solve the problem. I already had full disk access enabled. Still fails to create eDrive on Macintosh HD volume which according to Disk Utility has 245 GB or free space.
Thanks.

Will Not Create eDrive 15 Feb 2019 01:02 #10708

paul E,

if you have not already done so, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Will Not Create eDrive 03 Mar 2019 00:09 #10827

Solved - Thanks for everyones input above. It boiled down to having reserve and quota sizes set to high for other volumes I created on my drive (APFS Mojave). This caused the APFS container be considered full even though the Mac HD volume had a lot of space remaining. When I deleted and then recreated the other volume(s) without setting reserve and quota sizes the APFS then did not consider the container full. I was then able to create the eDrive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveax

Will Not Create eDrive 03 Mar 2019 00:23 #10828

paul E,

You are welcome, and thanks for your explanation of how the reserve and quota sizes prevented creation of the eDrive. This could make a good topic for a Knowledge Base article.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds