Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: VolumeStructsResult_7 error, but no problems found

VolumeStructsResult_7 error, but no problems found 19 Jun 2019 01:20 #11196

I've noticed some odd behavior with my MacBook Pro's internal harddrive under MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6. I ran TechTool Pro Version 10.1.2 (4454-6d25f01) and used the Volume Structures test. I received "Validation Error Encountered - VolumeStructsResult_7". I then tried Directory Rebuild for the heck of it and received the same error. I then ran Apple's Drive Utility and it also tripped up on an error. With an error confirmed, I did the following:

1. Tried running Directly Rebuild from my eDrive. Same error.
2. Ran Surface Scan. No problems found.
3. Ran Volume Rebuild. No problems found.

What do I do now?

Steve
The administrator has disabled public write access.

VolumeStructsResult_7 error, but no problems found 19 Jun 2019 01:41 #11197

Thanks for your clear and detailed report. It is particularly helpful that you ran the Surface Scan.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. It would be helpful if you included the results of the SMART test for the internal drive. You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

VolumeStructsResult_7 error, but no problems found 19 Jun 2019 19:47 #11200

Thank you. I sent an email and will send you more information later on when I am home.

Steve

VolumeStructsResult_7 error, but no problems found 19 Jun 2019 21:32 #11202

Thanks for the update and your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

VolumeStructsResult_7 error, but no problems found 23 Jun 2019 04:03 #11208

Quick follow up. Everything appears to be fine now. Both Apple's Drive Utility and Tech Tool are now reporting no errors. Here's the best guess I have...

For no apparent reason all of my drive's free space, 13gb, disappeared in an instant. One second there, the next gone. Various drive status tools did not show *ANY* purgeable space, which is not what I should have seen. I tried multiple tricks to force the OS to purge in case the reporting was in error. I checked various temp file and log areas as described by various help articles to affect purging. That included TimeMachine images. I also rebooted multiple times including in safe mode. The 13gb of previously free space remained gone.

At this point I ran Drive Utility and TechTool, both experienced validation errors and would not continue. Rebooting with the emergency drive did not change anything, even though there was free space on that drive to work with. Again, more rebooting involved and no change.

I temporarily deleted 14gp of files from my harddrive thinking the lack of free space might be a part of the problem. I again tried to repair the drive and again both produced the validation error. Frustrated, I stopped trying and decided to keep working for the night and the next day try something more radical.

While working I suddenly got my 13gb of space reappeared all at once, giving me 27gb of free space. I ran Drive Utility and TechTool Pro again and neither one showed any problems at all. No validation errors, no bad sectors, no nothing.

To sum up... a very large chunk of space disappeared on its own. I tried all sorts of things to fix the problem, none of them did anything and the lack of free space caused drive tools to not function correctly. When I manually deleted real files the system managed to recover the previously free space and that in turn allowed the tools to work correctly. It shouldn't have happened, but I'm glad it's fixed now.

Hopefully this information will help someone save some time.

Steve

VolumeStructsResult_7 error, but no problems found 23 Jun 2019 12:20 #11209

Thank you very much for your clear and detailed report about a problem I have never seen described before. I am forwarding your posting to the beta administrator for TechTool Pro.

I think it would be helpful if you sent your observations to Apple, at:

www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Also, it would be interesting to see if anyone else has had a similar experience, by opening a topic at the Apple Discussion forums. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds