Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Annoying Messages every couple of minutes

Annoying Messages every couple of minutes 17 Dec 2018 12:21 #10482

Firstly the Add File button here does not work... doesn't add the .png file which I wanted to attach to show the messages described below.

Next I upgraded to 10.1.2 today and foolishly chose to get notifications by email when my disk space was less than a certain threshold... which it apparently already is.

Now every couple of minutes I get two pop up boxes... one complaining that it can't send the email because it can't connect to Port 25... my own fault since I put my email address and left the Port 25 box blank.

The second message complains that my disk space is 15% and the Volume Usage Threshold is configured in "TechTool Protection system reference".

I have looked all over and I can't find anyplace called "TechTool Protection system reference" or any way to reconfigure this warning threshold OR to stop it from attempting to send me emails about it.

How can I get rid of these warning please?
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Annoying Messages every couple of minutes 17 Dec 2018 13:31 #10483

The screen capture did come through.

Check your Apple mail settings, or contact your ISP to see what port they recommend for email. Port 25 usually blocked. If you cannot get the email alerts to work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a screen capture of how the alerts feature is configured. Thank you.

The warning comes from the Volume Usage pane of the TechTool Protection system preferences pane. You can configure it there. It is not configured through the TechTool Pro application.

It is standard guideline for Unix-based operating systems to have a minimum of 15% free space on the active startup volume. You have so little free space on the volume that if virtual memory swapfiles are created, they will be created in a fragmented state (in more than one piece), because the available free space is too fragmented to allow the swapfiles to be created in a single piece (called an "extent") each. You should try to archive some files to another volume.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 17 Dec 2018 13:33 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biyahero

Annoying Messages every couple of minutes 17 Dec 2018 14:15 #10484

micromattech3 wrote:
The screen capture did come through.

Check your Apple mail settings, or contact your ISP to see what port they recommend for email. Port 25 usually blocked. If you cannot get the email alerts to work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a screen capture of how the alerts feature is configured. Thank you.

The warning comes from the Volume Usage pane of the TechTool Protection system preferences pane. You can configure it there. It is not configured through the TechTool Pro application.

It is standard guideline for Unix-based operating systems to have a minimum of 15% free space on the active startup volume. You have so little free space on the volume that if virtual memory swapfiles are created, they will be created in a fragmented state (in more than one piece), because the available free space is too fragmented to allow the swapfiles to be created in a single piece (called an "extent") each. You should try to archive some files to another volume.

Thank you! I will do as you suggested about trying to move some files off this hard drive and/or stop using Finder as a Filing System for a lot of stuff I can probably dispose of. I was able to get rid of the annoying messages by doing as you suggested.

As for the Port 25 of my ISP, I'm sure it is blocked... I have been fighting with them for years about that. If I use their mail system at all I have to use Webmail at their server, so basically I don't use it and I use Gmail almost exclusively through the web interface. I don't use Apple Mail much because I get a humungous amount of email and I don't want to clutter up my hard drive with that stuff... I only use Apple Mail with my icloud address.

I'll try to see if I can come up with something and send an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a screen capture of how the alerts feature is configured as you suggested. Thank you!!

Annoying Messages every couple of minutes 17 Dec 2018 15:08 #10485

You are welcome, and I am pleased to see that you will be able to free up some space and stop the alerts so quickly.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 17 Dec 2018 15:09 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biyahero

Annoying Messages every couple of minutes 18 Dec 2018 06:51 #10486

Actually I stopped the messages by just unchecking the Hard Drive in the Volume Usage section of TechTool Protection even though it was 13%, and I stopped the email failure messages by just unchecking email alerts and clearing my email address, leaving all the fields blank under email alerts.

I did however spend most of the day clearing about 10,000 emails from various "labels" in gmail and deleting most of the labels... I had been using gmail as sort of a filing system for emails for years. After doing that my available disk space went from 13% to 17%. Next I'll start deleting files from the downloads folder which I have also been using as a filing system of sorts.

I would like to ask you opinion about when I get ready to upgrade to Mojave if it might b a good idea to wipe my drive and start with a clean slate so to speak, or if I am just setting myself up for a lot of problems?

I have noticed that when I go to About this Mac; System Report; Software; Applications, which was once recommended to check whether an application was
64 bit or 32 bit, I see stuff there which I had deleted... such as dr.phone and also both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of some Adobe apps. This makes me wonder if deleting an app by moving it to the trash as Apple suggest may leave traces of the app hanging around like in the Windows days with the Registry.

I know if I wipe the disk I may have some problems reinstalling some of my apps, so it is just now worth the effort in your opinion or something I should consider?

Thanks for your continued help!
Attachments:

Annoying Messages every couple of minutes 18 Dec 2018 11:15 #10487

Good to see so much progress.

If your internal drive is an SSD, the Mojave installer will convert the filesystem to the new APFS format. Be sure you have a complete backup of your usual startup volume before you install Mohave. I do not think your first approach should be starting from scratch.

Many programs, such as TechTool Pro, have an uninstall option in their installer. Some programs cannot be completely removed by dragging their application icons to the trash. The Help in the program should explain how to uninstall it.

Here is a recent article about continuing incompatibility with Mojave:

A List of Apps Having Problems Running in macOS Mojave
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.407 seconds