Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered

Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered 30 Nov 2018 11:53 #10426

Hi,

I am runnung TechTool Pro v. 10.1.1 for the first time on a Macbook Pro which is running MacOS Mojave v. 10.14.1. The Volume Structures Test keeps failing. I get the following message: Validation Error Encountered / VolumeStructsResult_7. What does this mean? Does it need fixing? If it does need fixing, How do I fix it? Can TechTool Pro fix it?

Thanks for any insight.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered 30 Nov 2018 13:37 #10427

TechTool Pro 10.1.1. is not fully compatible with Mojave. Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in some additional information, such as an Apple System Information report. Thank you.

The Volume Structures test checks the disk directory for errors. The Volume Rebuild tool is used to fix the errors, but should not be used unless you have a complete backup. There may be a beta build that is more compatible, so please write to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered 02 Dec 2018 15:35 #10428

Have similar experience on 10.13.6 .

Disc partition with HFS drive format /PCI Internal Physical Volume • Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Validation Error Encountered.
VolumeStructsResult_0

Should I be trying to resolve this somehow ?

Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered 02 Dec 2018 16:44 #10429

davidwd,

As long as you have a complete backup of the volume, it should be safe for you to try using the Volume Rebuild tool to repair the disk directory. If the rebuild fails, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.

It is also a good idea to run the Surface Scan test, to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks.

Because you are using macOS 10.16 High Sierra, the Surface Scan must be run from a volume on a different device than the one to be scanned:

Why is the Surface Scan unavailable for my internal drive?

Beginning in macOS 10.13 "High Sierra," certain low-level operations became unavailable to applications like Techtool Pro. One of these operations was reading the raw disk for the physical drive containing the startup volume. Because of this, we cannot do a surface scan of a drive if it is currently being used as a startup disk. In order to solve this problem, you will need to start up from a separate physical disk in order to run the Surface Scan test on your main startup disk. This can be accomplished by building a Protogo device on a separate disk, such as a thumb drive, or building your eDrive on an external disk.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered 02 Dec 2018 18:33 #10431

I am running High Sierra (V10.13.6) also, but am still using V9.6.3 of TTPro. The SSDs inside both of my Macs are (of course) formatted as APFS, and the Volume Structures test works flawlessly for me. I wonder if the issue you are having has to do with V10.1.x of TTPro, the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, or some combination of both. Can we receive clarification of this?

Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered 02 Dec 2018 18:37 #10433

I do not think that two cases, one of which was just reported today, allow us to come to a useful conclusion.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered 02 Dec 2018 18:41 #10435

Understand. But this definitely makes me feel real good about remaining with V9.6.3 of TTPro. It (together with Onyx) continues to work real well with both of my Macs.

Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered 02 Dec 2018 18:46 #10437

I believe this is the fourth or fifth time you have mentioned that. Please leave the forums for support questions. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered 02 Dec 2018 19:25 #10438

micromattech3 wrote:
I believe this is the fourth or fifth time you have mentioned that. Please leave the forums for support questions. Thank you.

Really see no issue with that, and especially given that it could help some folks out. I am just trying to make contributions and be helpful.

Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered 02 Dec 2018 19:30 #10440

Encouraging people to believe that sticking with TechTool Pro 9.6.1 is a generally useful strategy is not being helpful. I understand you are trying to be helpful, but this is really not a good place for that. The Apple forums are designed to have questions and issues discussed by users.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered 02 Dec 2018 20:24 #10443

micromattech3 wrote:
Encouraging people to believe that sticking with TechTool Pro 9.6.1 is a generally useful strategy is not being helpful. I understand you are trying to be helpful, but this is really not a good place for that. The Apple forums are designed to have questions and issues discussed by users.

First, it's V9.6.3 of TTPro, not V9.6.1. Secondly, still see no issue in just stating fact, at least for my situation. I am not encouraging people to stick with that version. Just stating facts for my environment.

I also suspect some (maybe quite a few?) folks have no issues at all with V10.1.1, which is well and good.

So please state the facts correctly. Remember, these forums are a place where folks can help each other.

As an aside, I do praise Tech Tool pro on other discussion sites as much as I can.

Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered 02 Dec 2018 20:33 #10444

I regret the mistake in the version number.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Structures - Validation Error Encountered 02 Dec 2018 20:44 #10445

OK, at least one fact corrected.
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds