Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Unable to install Tech Pro Tools 1011_4359 on Mac Pro under El Capitan (10.11.6)

Unable to install Tech Pro Tools 1011_4359 on Mac Pro under El Capitan (10.11.6) 28 Nov 2018 02:30 #10401

Just purchased and downloaded TPT from Micromat. Installation returns "Installation Failed"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Unable to install Tech Pro Tools 1011_4359 on Mac Pro under El Capitan (10.11.6) 28 Nov 2018 02:43 #10402

I assume that when you purchased TechTool Pro, you were sent an email message with a link for a download. That download may have failed.

Please look at your Available Downloads, at the bottom of your My Account page, linked above. From there, you should be able to download the TechTool Pro 10.1.1 installer. If that download does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a ink to this thread. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Unable to install Tech Pro Tools 1011_4359 on Mac Pro under El Capitan (10.11.6) 28 Nov 2018 03:34 #10403

Appreciate the response. I believe the installer file is ok, but for some reason it will not install (see pics). Just to see if it would work, I tried to install the maccheck_105.dmg (basic free checker), but it would not install either (last pic).

Tech Pro Tools installer gave exclamation mark and "The installatinon failed. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."
Attachments:

Unable to install Tech Pro Tools 1011_4359 on Mac Pro under El Capitan (10.11.6) 28 Nov 2018 03:52 #10404

Please see the thread a <<www.micromat.com/component/kunena/checkm...-install-errors#3572>> I regret that there is no simple solution to this problem, which involves an essential system software file used by Apple's installer program.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 28 Nov 2018 03:57 by micromattech3.

Unable to install Tech Pro Tools 1011_4359 on Mac Pro under El Capitan (10.11.6) 28 Nov 2018 03:58 #10405

Are you saying that to use Tech Pro Tools 10 I need to reinstall el capitan? That would require me to reload my entire system. AM I understanding that correctly?

Unable to install Tech Pro Tools 1011_4359 on Mac Pro under El Capitan (10.11.6) 28 Nov 2018 04:10 #10406

If you ran the Terminal command (as described in the link above)

sudo whoami

and got a response other than "root", then you need to reinstall El Capitan, because you are missing an essential file that is needed by any program that is used by Apple's installer. This has nothing to do with TechTool Pro in particular. We use Apple's installer, and in order to install files in some locations, the installer needs root access, which in turn requires the sudoer file to be present and functional.

You can read about this problem, which affects all Unix-based operating systems, by searching at Google for:

missing sudoer file

While there are some ingenious work-arounds for this problem, they tend to overlook the more fundamental problem of why an essential system software file is missing or damaged.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Unable to install Tech Pro Tools 1011_4359 on Mac Pro under El Capitan (10.11.6) 28 Nov 2018 04:22 #10407

Reinstalling the system software and your user accounts, applications and user files is not necessarily the chore it used to be:

To reinstall OS X:

support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Once you have reinstalled the system software, you can recreate your user accounts, applications, and user files from either a Time Machine volume or a bootable clone of OS X made with a third-party backup program. The user accounts themselves should not be imported, because the sudoer file may be damaged. If you have more than one user account, recreate them in the same order as the one in which they were originally created, to make sure that the correct ownership is applied to files.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 28 Nov 2018 11:55 by micromattech3.

Unable to install Tech Pro Tools 1011_4359 on Mac Pro under El Capitan (10.11.6) 28 Nov 2018 04:24 #10408

Thanks for your response. I did get the failed response with the sudo command.

Here is the situation. My Mac Pro has become slow. Is it due to a problem or the fact that it is 10 years old? it is now vintage and will not upgrade beyond El Capitan. It was expensive and has been an awesome machine. I am trying to keep it going and was considering replacing the start up drive with a 2 TB SSD, but wanted to check out everything else before making the decision to by an SSD and reload the system. Hence the purchase of Tech Pro Tools 10. Having to reload the system just to get TPT loaded and then possibly have to do the whole thing again on an SSD is not appealing. I just do not have that kind of time. The other option is to purchase a new mac, but that is more expensive. I just wanted to get a good memory/system check.

Unable to install Tech Pro Tools 1011_4359 on Mac Pro under El Capitan (10.11.6) 28 Nov 2018 11:09 #10409

Without the sudoers file, you will not be able to install any program that requires root access. The fact that it is missing suggests that your installation of the system software has been damaged. That may explain at least part of the slowness.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds