Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Smart Check warning

Smart Check warning 21 Oct 2018 21:02 #10302

Hi,
What does this message mean.....

"reported uncorrectable errors (187)"

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Smart Check warning 21 Oct 2018 21:34 #10303

From our Drive Scope 1.2.1 manual, page 31 (page 36 of 54 of the pdf file):

Attribute 187 - Reported Uncorrectable Errors

Lower Raw Value is better - Critical Attribute

This attribute tracks the number of uncorrectable read errors that could not be recovered during hardware ECC (Error Correcting Code) and is reported back to the host for all data access commands. If the raw value for this SMART attribute continues to grow, there is a very high probability of impending drive failure.

WARNING: If this attribute is elevated, backup the data immediately and consider replacing the device as soon as possible.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 21 Oct 2018 21:34 by micromattech3.

Smart Check warning 21 Oct 2018 21:44 #10304

I suggest that you run the Surface Scan test to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks. If you are using High Sierra, you must run the test from a bootable volume that has TechTool Pro installed on it and is on a different device than the one to be scanned.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Smart Check warning 22 Oct 2018 20:52 #10310

Thanks.
I ran the scan and it came up no bad blocks. So, I don't need to worry about the other test.

Smart Check warning 22 Oct 2018 20:58 #10311

I am afraid you do need to be concerned about SMART attribute 187:

From our Drive Scope 1.2.1 manual, page 31 (page 36 of 54 of the pdf file):

Attribute 187 - Reported Uncorrectable Errors

Lower Raw Value is better - Critical Attribute

This attribute tracks the number of uncorrectable read errors that could not be recovered during hardware ECC (Error Correcting Code) and is reported back to the host for all data access commands. If the raw value for this SMART attribute continues to grow, there is a very high probability of impending drive failure.

WARNING: If this attribute is elevated, backup the data immediately and consider replacing the device as soon as possible.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Smart Check warning 22 Oct 2018 21:15 #10313

From Which SMART attributes actually matter?:

For the past year or so, Backblaze has been capturing the SMART data from some 40,000 hard drives. The hard drives are made by all the usual suspects — Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, and HGST. By working backwards from drives that failed, and then looking at their reported SMART data from the preceding weeks and months, Backblaze thinks it has identified five SMART attributes that actually predict drive death. Backblaze is apparently using this data to replace drives before they fail, so it must be fairly confident in its findings.

Here are the big five. (For more info on what each error means, the SMART Wikipedia page is pretty good.)

SMART ID 5 (0x05): Relocated Sectors Count
SMART ID 187 (0xBB): Reported Uncorrectable Errors
SMART ID 188 (0xBC): Command Timeout
SMART ID 197 (0xC5): Current Pending Sector Count
SMART ID 198 (0xC6): Uncorrectable Sector Count

In general, if a drive shows a count of zero (0) for all of these attributes, it means the drive is almost certainly healthy. Conversely, if any of these attributes has a value of 1 or more, there’s a significant chance that the drive will die soon — it’s time to back up your data ASAP and slot in a new drive. Backblaze says that SMART attribute 187 (0xBB), Reported Uncorrectable Errors, is particularly useful because all hard drive makers seem to agree on the same definition, and because the reported number is easy to interpret.

If you want to look at Backblaze’s complete SMART data set, it’s all online for your perusal — or read on, for a little more analysis of some of its more interesting findings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Smart Check warning 24 Oct 2018 20:18 #10326

Thanks for the reply. I have everything backed up. I'm not sure replacing the drive on a 8 year old computer is worth it or not.
Can I run my iMac off an external hard drive ?

Smart Check warning 24 Oct 2018 22:29 #10327

You are welcome.

An eight year old iMac probably has both USB 2 and FireWire 400 and FireWire 800 ports. If you have FireWire 800, that would be the fastest option. Such drives are getting harder to find. If you have to buy such a drive, make sure to ask the vendor if the drive can boot a Macintosh if it is formatted by Disk Utility to have a GUID partition map and an HFS + (also known as Mac OS Extended) journaled volume.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds