Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: SMART errors

SMART errors 21 Sep 2018 11:33 #10151

Hi,

Starting two days ago I suddenly started gettingTechTool SMART error reports on all three of the USB drives that I have hooked up to my MacPro. Running SMART tests on them with other software shows no problems. Connecting those drives to another machine also results in no problems. Any ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SMART errors 21 Sep 2018 11:53 #10152

I need to see the results of the SMART test. Exactly which SMART parameters are showing a failure?

Some SMART tests do not report on as many SMART parameters as TechTool Pro does, so they will not report a failure if there is one regarding a parameter that they do not report. If you want a "second opinion", use the demo of SMART Utility from Volitans Software.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

SMART errors 21 Sep 2018 13:30 #10153

Thanks for the reply. I will try that utility. Report attached for one drive. Does it seem curious that three drives, all on the same USB bus, would suddenly start reporting the same SMART errors on the same day?
Attachments:

SMART errors 21 Sep 2018 13:34 #10154

I ran the Volitans SMART test on that same drive and it reports no problems.

SMART errors 21 Sep 2018 13:37 #10155

You are welcome, and thanks for the screen capture.

There is clearly something wrong here, because the SMART attributes are shown with "unknown" for their names, and some of the attributes are repeated, an oddity I have not seen before. The attributes shown are not attributes I have seen in the Wikipedia article about SMART testing.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread, and with your helpful screen capture. You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

SMART errors 26 Sep 2018 10:19 #10178

Hi. As requested, I sent the email link to the help address a few days ago, but so far have not heard anything back. I continue to get these odd SMART warnings. Any ideas yet?

SMART errors 26 Sep 2018 10:40 #10179

I have asked a colleague to make sure that your email was received.

In the meantime, I would not be concerned about the puzzling result you got from the SMART test. If I were in your situation, I would reinstall TechTool Pro, just to make sure that the odd result is not the result of a corrupted installation. I have never seen an uncorrupted installation of TechTool Pro show SMART results that differ from Volitans' product. Thanks for your cooperation and your patience.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

SMART errors 26 Sep 2018 16:04 #10186

michaelmatthews,

A reply was sent to you on September 21. If you do not find the message, please let us know. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

SMART errors 26 Sep 2018 17:35 #10187

Thanks. I will uninstall and reinstall TTP. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Michael

SMART errors 26 Sep 2018 17:36 #10188

Hi,

For some reason I did not receive this email.

SMART errors 26 Sep 2018 17:49 #10189

Thanks for the update. I have asked that our reply message be resent.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

SMART errors 28 Sep 2018 00:44 #10194

michaelmatthews,

If you have not already done so, please request the latest beta build of the program, which should solve the odd SMART test result you got. It appears that the problem involved the active SOFTRAID driver. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds