Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: MacBook Pro keeps shutting down on startup after freezing checking RAM

MacBook Pro keeps shutting down on startup after freezing checking RAM 17 Sep 2018 10:59 #10139

I was in the process of checking my RAM. I also have Memory Clean installed, which tried to clean the memory because the available RAM dropped during the TechTools test. Both programs froze. I could not force quite them and had to press the power button. Now my MacBook Pro (2011) will only do a partial start up before shutting down.

I've tried clearing the NVRAM and the SMC (I think), but neither has helped. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mac OS 10.13.5
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MacBook Pro keeps shutting down on startup after freezing checking RAM 17 Sep 2018 12:59 #10140

The available RAM should drop during the TechTool Pro RAM test, because the program is testing all of the free RAM.

Try starting from a bootable external drive by letting the drive spin up, and then turning on the MacBook Pro and holding down the Option key to invoke the Startup Manager.

If that does not work, try the Recovery volume, if you have one.

If you cannot get the MacBook Pro to start up from a valid bootable volume, I think the next step is to have a service center look at it. An invalid shutdown may damage the contents of the active boot volume, and may cause some blocks that were in use to be flagged as "pending sectors", but it cannot damage the other hardware.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: badonicus

MacBook Pro keeps shutting down on startup after freezing checking RAM 17 Sep 2018 14:57 #10141

I think I managed to fix it. Started up with the eDrive, ran Disk Utilities - which did fix some problems - then ran TTP 10. So far, so good.

Thanks

MacBook Pro keeps shutting down on startup after freezing checking RAM 17 Sep 2018 16:20 #10144

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.

I think it is clear that the Memory Clean program should not be running while the RAM Test in TechTool Pro is in use. I have reported your posting to the beta administrator for TechTool Pro. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

MacBook Pro keeps shutting down on startup after freezing checking RAM 17 Sep 2018 17:47 #10149

Thanks.

MacBook Pro keeps shutting down on startup after freezing checking RAM 17 Sep 2018 17:49 #10150

You are welcome.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds