Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Feature request: MacOS Installers by hardware

Feature request: MacOS Installers by hardware 30 Aug 2018 12:17 #10084

I work on older Macs with the seniors I support and end up needing to lookup their hardware on Everymac.com and upgrade their OS to the latest OS their hardware will support. I have copies of the installers 10.5, 10.6, and 10.10-10.13 that I copy to my Protogo drive after it is setup.

It'd be nice to have these as optional installs in the Protogo setup AND to have Protogo organized to offer to preform updates to bring the current system detected up to the latest supported given the hardware.

It'd certainly increase the value of the tool for me and I suspect others.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Feature request: MacOS Installers by hardware 30 Aug 2018 12:35 #10085

I have no idea how feasible your suggestion is from the standpoint of programming, but I thank you for it, and have passed it along to the beta administrator for TechTool Pro.

I hope you do not encounter cases where the current operating system is so old that the Migration Assistant in the latest supported version cannot import the user accounts, applications, and user data from the backup of the old version. I once helped a professor with such a case, and had to install at least one intermediate system software update, as well as change the partition map type on the internal drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Feature request: MacOS Installers by hardware 30 Aug 2018 18:07 #10086

10.6 is the oldest that will update to the current OS. I've met a few 10.5s that had to go to 10.6 before going any further and some older hardware won't go to 10.13. Those 2007-8 MBPs that folks hang onto till it or they die ;)

Feature request: MacOS Installers by hardware 30 Aug 2018 18:52 #10087

Thanks for posting your useful observation. It is good to see that Migration Assistant can see further back than it used to.

I forget the details of the migration I did some years ago, but it turned out that "going three cats back" was all the Migration Assistant of the new operating system could do.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Feature request: MacOS Installers by hardware 31 Aug 2018 21:34 #10090

For us to include a macOS installer with TechTool Protogo would be a violation of the user agreement for the software and would result in a letter from Apple's legal team.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds