Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Cannot create new e-drive

Cannot create new e-drive 30 Jul 2018 01:58 #10031

After upgrading from TT9 to TT10 I removed the TT9 e-drive from my hard drive being the internal drive for my iMac Pro . I now want to create a new e-drive for TT10 on the same startup drive but I find that the button to create a new e-drive is greyed out when the start up drive is selected. Curiously Disk Utility shows a small (35.11 GB) part of the Macintosh HD APFS Volume as "Other Volumes" - neither Used nor Free. This suggests to me that the previous TT9 partition did not get fully cleared. My question is what can I do to create a TT10 e-drive on the same drive as the TT9 e-drive?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cannot create new e-drive 30 Jul 2018 02:10 #10033

To explore the issue of why you are not able not to create the eDrive on the same device as you did before, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in some other information, such as an Apple System Information report.

I suggest you look for a tutorial that explains how to merge one volume with another using the version of Disk Utility that is part of your system software. The code we use to remove the eDrive is the same code used by Disk Utility. Be sure to make a backup of the volumes on the drive before you begin.

I can tell you that it is not advisable for anyone using or planning to use High Sierra, to create the eDrive on the same physical drive as the one containing your usual startup volume. Starting in macOS 10.13 High Sierra, the Surface Scan is not available on the physical disk containing the startup volume. A TechTool Protogo device or eDrive on a separate physical disk can be used to run Surface Scan on these drives.

The same applies to running a Volume Optimization or a File Optimization under High Sierra. This is likely to remain the same under Mojave.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 30 Jul 2018 02:28 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkgs

Cannot create new e-drive 11 Aug 2018 17:48 #10051

micromattech3 wrote:

I can tell you that it is not advisable for anyone using or planning to use High Sierra, to create the eDrive on the same physical drive as the one containing your usual startup volume. Starting in macOS 10.13 High Sierra, the Surface Scan is not available on the physical disk containing the startup volume. A TechTool Protogo device or eDrive on a separate physical disk can be used to run Surface Scan on these drives.

The same applies to running a Volume Optimization or a File Optimization under High Sierra. This is likely to remain the same under Mojave.

Yeah, that's unfortunate about Surface Scan. I am still using V9.6 of TTPro, and it has the same issue. Fortunately, I have SSDs inside both of my Macs (also my two external devices are SSDs(, so Volume and File Optimization is not applicable, no matter what Mac OS one is using.

For me to run Surface Scan, I restart each machine from its respective (recent) SuperDuper! backup, and run it from there. That works fine (although I don't do it too often).

Cannot create new e-drive 11 Aug 2018 17:55 #10053

The need to restart from a volume on a different physical device was caused by changes Apple made to the system software, starting in High Sierra. The code used to start the Surface Scan does nothing (not even return an error message) if the new condition is not met.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cannot create new e-drive 11 Aug 2018 19:03 #10054

micromattech3 wrote:
The need to restart from a volume on a different physical device was caused by changes Apple made to the system software, starting in High Sierra. The code used to start the Surface Scan does nothing (not even return an error message) if the new condition is not met.

I already knew that.

Cannot create new e-drive 11 Aug 2018 19:27 #10055

I knew that you already knew that, but other people reading the thread might not.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds