Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 29 Jul 2018 17:54 #10029

I am staying with TTPro V 9.6.3, as it suits my needs just fine. I am, though, wondering about OS 10.14, Mojave, and TTPro. What is the status of testing TTPro with Mojave? Any surprises so far? I know that for High Sierra, it was somewhat of a "struggle" for Micromat to finally have a compatible version of TTPro with High Sierra. IN fact, that version arrived in December, and OS 10.13.2 had been previously released.

I have also been informed by the sales department at Micromat that the update "cycle" is (for the most part) twice a year, and that the next update (besides any bug fixes) will be in December. Please clarify all this for me.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 29 Jul 2018 18:46 #10030

The company is a registered developer, and gets the developer's releases of the system software. There is always work being done to make a new version that is compatible. The in-house testing of our software, as well as its beta testing, is confidential.

It is not possible to release a compatible version until it is known to be compatible with the final public release from Apple. In the past, crucial changes have existed between Apple's last beta, and what was released to the public. When Tiger was released, Apple introduced a new disk directory file, the Extended Attributes file, that was not in the disk directory of the last public beta. The result was not pretty for any utility that attempted to modify the disk directory without taking the Extended Attributes file into account

The next update is expected to be available in December, as you were told.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: juzbrian

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 11 Aug 2018 17:52 #10052

I of course understand that a version compatible with Mojave (OS 10.14) cannot be released until at least the first version of Mojave is released (not sure where you got that from, as I never said that). Also, based on recent history, I am not expecting a compatible version of ZTTPro to be released until December.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 24 Sep 2018 21:10 #10161

Good afternoon,

Just as an fyi, I just upgraded to Mojave. No problem there, but I went to erase my eDrive and a new eDrive cannot be created.

I know, I know...TTP will be issuing an update shortly.

This is just an fyi to others on this forum.

Cheers!

-Merlin

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 24 Sep 2018 21:56 #10164

There will be a statement about the Mojave compatible update shortly.

The eDrive creation tool in TechTool Pro 10.0.1 is not compatible with macOS 10.14 Mojave. The next release is intended to fix the problems with the Volume Rebuild tool, and to improve the battery test for iOS devices. After that, there will be a release to provide compatibility with Mojave.

I urge people to follow MacInTouch.com user reports, and to read this advice:

tidbits.com/2018/09/17/when-and-how-to-u...-macos-10-14-mojave/
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 24 Sep 2018 22:48 #10166

micromattech3 wrote:
There will be a statement about the Mojave compatible update shortly.

The eDrive creation tool in TechTool Pro 10.0.1 is not compatible with macOS 10.14 Mojave. The next release is intended to fix the problems with the Volume Rebuild tool, and to improve the battery test for iOS devices. After that, there will be a release to provide compatibility with Mojave.

I urge people to follow MacInTouch.com user reports, and to read this advice:

tidbits.com/2018/09/17/when-and-how-to-u...-macos-10-14-mojave/

As I mentioned above, I am sticking with V9.6.3, as 1) there is nothing I need in V10.0.x, and 2) V9.6.3 works flawlessly on both of my Macs.

As for Mojave, I (of course) was not expecting TTPro V9.6.x/10.0.x to be compatible with that new OS yet. As it is, Mojave has nothing really "earth shattering" in it, and thus until the 6 critical third-party apps I use (including TTPro) have the necessary updates available for Mojave compatibility, High Sierra is fine for now.

I actually visit that Tidbits site numerous times each day, and I basically "chuckled" when I read that article. Those 2 recommendations were waiting to upgrade to Mojave have been ones I have followed for so many years. And for the last 2 years, the new version of TTPro is typically released about 2 to 2 1/2 months after the new Mac OS comes out. By that time, there is already a ".2" version of that new OS available. Also, on the site www.mac-help.com I frequently visit, those same recommendations are mentioned numerous times by myself and one other individual. Of course, there are two more tasks that need to be followed:

1. Perform disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs frequently. Onyx and TechToolPro definitely help with those tasks, along with doing as much disk cleanup on one's own as possible.

2. Make frequent backups to an external device, including making a final backup of one's current system before upgrading.
Last Edit: 24 Sep 2018 23:11 by micromattech3. Reason: Edited at author's request.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 24 Sep 2018 23:12 #10168

Akent35,

For the first time ever, I have edited a posting at the request of its author.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 24 Sep 2018 23:35 #10169

Those of you who would like an in-depth analysis of the new features and changes in Mojave might find this thirteen-page article helpful (not an endorsement of overall conclusion, which I am not in a position to make):

macOS 10.14 Mojave: The Ars Technica review
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 24 Sep 2018 23:38 by micromattech3.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 25 Sep 2018 19:23 #10170

Now that I've updated to 10.14 Mojave, TTP will not open, it crashes immediately, Any hope of a quick fix?

Thanks,

Hank

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 25 Sep 2018 19:32 #10171

TechTool Pro 10.0.1 is not compatible with Mojave. There will not be a quick fix.

The crash log may be of interest to the programmers. Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 25 Sep 2018 20:46 #10172

micromattech3 wrote:
Akent35,

For the first time ever, I have edited a posting at the request of its author.

Thank you so much!

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 25 Sep 2018 20:55 #10173

micromattech3 wrote:
Those of you who would like an in-depth analysis of the new features and changes in Mojave might find this thirteen-page article helpful (not an endorsement of overall conclusion, which I am not in a position to make):

macOS 10.14 Mojave: The Ars Technica review

I started this thread about Mojave compatibility, and the replies from Micromat are what I expected. Not sure why you subsequently decided to update to Mojave, given what Micromat said above. Also, there is (most likely) quite a lot of other third party software that will need updates for Mojave compatibility (Onyx is one prime example, and yesterday Coctail came out with a new version for Mojave compatibility).

Myself, here are the primary ones I will need to see updates for (unless the developer/company says otherwise):

Onyx (already know about it)
Thunderbird
Tech Tool Pro (update scheduled to be released in late November/early December)
1Password (might be compatible already, as I recently upgraded to V7.1.2)
Word 2016
Excel 2016
SuperDuper! (a DEFINITE essential one)
Thunderbird

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 25 Sep 2018 21:41 #10174

Akent35,

You are welcome.

I made the identical error myself a few years ago, and caught it right after posting.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ogawa

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 26 Sep 2018 03:27 #10175

Today, Shirt Pocket software released V3.2 of SuperDuper!, and it is compatible with Mojave. One can still use it, though, with High Sierra (and earlier versions of the Mac OS).

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 26 Sep 2018 03:42 #10176

Crash log has been sent for the Mojave/TTP 10.0.1 problem.
Please advise if TTP 9.6 can be used under Mojave in the interim.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 26 Sep 2018 09:43 #10177

You should not use TechTool Pro 9.6 under Mojave. We know of some things that do not work in TechTool Pro 10.0.1 with Mohave.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 28 Sep 2018 03:40 #10195

Haveing been with your company for a very long time, I fidn it very unprofessional that yu have not released, neither mention anything at all on osx mojave compatibility with TEchToolPro

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 28 Sep 2018 09:55 #10196

All you had to do was to visit these forums to learn about the issue.

As of yesterday, quite a few companies have not yet made a statement (this page is updated daily, so the situation will change):

www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/ma...ojave-compatibility/

As an alternative, you could have read this Knowledge Base article, posted a few days ago:

Techtool Pro and macOS 10.14 Mojave
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 28 Sep 2018 14:31 by micromattech3.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 28 Sep 2018 13:50 #10197

Good day,

I currently have TTP 10.0.2. I had to revert back to 10.13.6 from 10.14 due to many instabilities I was coming across, including not being able to run TTP. :(

Currently my system is:
MBP (mid-2015)
16GB RAM
1TB SSD

My question is this: I also have a mid-2010 MBP. Can I load 10.0.2 onto that, create an eDrive there, then run TTP on the 2015 MBP, (updated to 10.14) but run it as a Targeted Disk?

A stretch, I know, but you don't know if you don't ask, right?

Cheers!

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 28 Sep 2018 14:26 #10198

I am sorry to see that you had to revert to earlier system software, which is sometimes quite a tedious process.

The beta of TechTool Pro 10.0.2 has been replaced by a beta with version number 10.1.1, as a result of the substantial changes made to the battery tests for iOS devices.

I see no reason why your Target Disk Mode approach would not work, provided both computers have the same ports, such as FireWire, to make the connection between the host computer and the target computer.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 28 Sep 2018 17:40 #10199

micromattech3 wrote:
All you had to do was to visit these forums to learn about the issue.

As of yesterday, quite a few companies have not yet made a statement (this page is updated daily, so the situation will change):

www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/ma...ojave-compatibility/

As an alternative, you could have read this Knowledge Base article, posted a few days ago:

Techtool Pro and macOS 10.14 Mojave

Exactly! Also, there are still other programs that have not been updated yet (some are critical, at least to me).

Additionally, Micromat has stated that (except for "emergencies, ie, a serious bug) they come out with 2 releases a year: one in June/July, and the in late November/early December. The latter one, of course, would be for compatibility to the new Mac OS.

Finally, the initial version of a new Mac OS consistently has some bugs. By the time the Tech Tool Pro version is released, there is typically a ".2" version of the OS released.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 28 Sep 2018 18:11 #10200

I mentioned this site above:

roaringapps.com/apps

for checking on which apps are compatible with various Operating Systems. One can filter it by OS, and also whether apps are compatible with that OS or not. I just did it a few minutes ago, filtering by Mojave (OS 10.14), and by "status" (Works fine), and it works well, Of course one can contact the developer directly (or visit their site) to find out about Mojave compatibility.
The following user(s) said Thank You: micromattech3

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 28 Sep 2018 18:42 #10201

That is one very comprehensive list.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 28 Sep 2018 19:53 #10202

micromattech3 wrote:
That is one very comprehensive list.

Yes, it is! I actually discovered that site a little over 2 years ago, shortly before the initial version of Sierra was released. I have mentioned this site numerous times, both here and on the site www.mac-help.com, but it still amazes me that folks either can't read, or they ignore it. It definitely helps me. For exaMPle, I see where 2 of my critical apps, Word 2016 and Excel 2016, are compatible with Mojave (and of course SuperDuper!, which I mentioned above). Also, even though that site says it, I found out from Angel Bits that 1Password V7.x is also compatible with Mojave. That just leaves Thunderbird, Onyx (they are already working on a version that will be compatible with Mojave), and of course TTPro.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 28 Sep 2018 20:03 #10203

The RoaringApps list seems to have more competition than it had before, but it is clearly a top choice. I will make a note of it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 28 Sep 2018 20:13 #10204

micromattech3 wrote:
The RoaringApps list seems to have more competition than it had before, but it is clearly a top choice. I will make a note of it.

Not sure how many other sites like that one there are. I do check out www.macupdate.com/ a few times each day, but at times, it is "hit and miss", in the sense that it does not always have updates in a timely manner. Of course, as I mentioned, I can visit the developer's site, or a number of apps have a "Check for Update" feature. But Roaring Apps ha everything in one place.

If you know of any other sites similar to it, please let me know.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 29 Sep 2018 04:37 #10205

Good day,

Back in July of this year, I was in communication with someone within Micromat concerning beta testing of 10.0.2.

Can that Micromat staff contact me via email

Sincerely,
medchem

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 29 Sep 2018 09:29 #10206

Merl1n,

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email on Monday. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 29 Sep 2018 09:33 by micromattech3.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 30 Sep 2018 11:52 #10213

Good day,

As I have posted previously, I mentioned the idea of running TTP 10.0.2 on an older MBP, and having my Mojave-installed MBP evaluated via targeted disk mode.

Happy to say it is working thus far. I started with the "Check Computer" Suite. For now, I have attached photos rather than write it out.

More details should be provided in the finalized report, correct?

I also intend to perform rebuilds, optimizations, etc.

Hopefully this works, since it seems there are some errors found.

Kindly provide any feedback.

Cheers!

-Merlin

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 30 Sep 2018 11:55 #10214

Greetings,

As I have posted previously, I mentioned the idea of running TTP 10.0.2 on an older MBP, and having my Mojave-installed MBP evaluated via targeted disk mode.

Happy to say it is working thus far. I started with the "Check Computer" Suite. For now, I have attached photos rather than write it out.

More details should be provided in the finalized report, correct?

I also intend to perform rebuilds, optimizations, etc.

Hopefully this works, since it seems there are some errors found.

Kindly provide any feedback.

Cheers!

-Merlin
Attachments:

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 30 Sep 2018 16:26 #10216

The forums are moderated. New postings do not appear until they are approved by a moderator.

If the Surface Scan finds errors (which are unremapped bad blocks), please read this posting, and post a screen capture of the results of the SMART Test, which you can run separately.

Surface Scan
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 30 Sep 2018 16:26 by micromattech3.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 01 Oct 2018 03:18 #10222

Good day,

Well, continuing with my targeted disk, using TTP 10.0.2. My parent MBP (mid-2010) shut down and restarted for some reason.

TTP 10.0.2 was running at the time.

I went to look for the targeted disk on startup, through Disk Utility, and the targeted disk was shown, but would not mount.

I then restarted the "Check Computer" Suite, all seemed to run fine; it is currently (re)running on the Surface Scan portion.

Will the target disk come back?

Kindly advise.

-Merlin

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 01 Oct 2018 03:23 #10223

Merl1n,

I would suggest that you run individual tests rather than running the Check Computer suite.

For help with the beta you were sent, you should send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 02 Oct 2018 00:46 #10224

Well,

After several (and I do mean "several") attempts to get the mid-2015 SSD to moon, nothing worked.
Luckily, I had the System backed up (Time Machine), so no real pain there (minus a few files...oh well).

I then proceeded to re-formatthe drive, and instal Sierra...This the allowed me to install Mojave (without going through High Sierra). This process is currently ongoing.

No, I am NOT giving up on TTP! But as a product that I use in conjunction with TTP, I also use Disk Warrior.

Together, I have solved >98% of all my computer issues...It's just that Mojave seems to have stumped both companies.

I have no doubt that Micromat & Alsoft are working to get new updates out ASAP.

Much appreciated for the assistance on this forum.

I'll post any news that I get relevant to Mojave and TTP form my system.

Cheers!

-Merlin

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 02 Oct 2018 01:04 #10225

You are welcome.

I suggest that people follow the discussion of Mojave at www.macintouch.com .
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 02 Oct 2018 17:08 #10226

Merlin here (again),

Well, after trying to have TTP evaluate the Mojave-based SSD (Check Computer Suite), I have decided to go back to High Sierra.

During the Surface Scan phase, numerous bad blocks would be identified. At any point in time, the program then would freeze. The Mojave MBP would thus become unreadable for some reason and would not boot at all.

I am not blaming Micromat; rather I think it's the formatting (APFS) or something else on the OS-side. At this point, I do NOT feel comfortable running an OS that does NOT have TechTool Pro (or...Disk Warrior) available for assistance.

Luckily, I have made a Time Machine backup of my High Sierra before trying this upgrade (minus a few files that I know I lost, but I can live with it), so this should not be a problem.

Also, having another MBP is a real asset, as running the Mojave MBP in Target Disk makes downgrading a little easier than some web sites I have seen describing how to downgrade from APFS to HFS+.

I feel safer in waiting until Micromat releases a upgrade that addresses Mojave more thoroughly.

But, I was able to try out Mojave...IMHO, I like it but some bugs are definitely present that need to be taken care of.

Cheers,
Merlin

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 02 Oct 2018 17:33 #10227

Merl1n,

Your drive may need to be replaced.

If the Surface Scan finds errors (which are unremapped bad blocks), please read the posting titled Surface Scan linked below, and post a screen capture of the results of the SMART Test, which you can run separately.

Surface Scan

We need to see whether the bad blocks belong to a file, and whether the SMART test reports that there are "pending" blocks.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 02 Oct 2018 17:34 by micromattech3.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 02 Oct 2018 17:44 #10228

Thank you for the rapid response.

At this moment, that mid-2015 MBP is being "securely erased" by Disk Utility. After that is done, I will run a SMART scan and report the results.

This is the 2nd SSD I purchased from MacSales. The first one simple died after almost 2 years, and the new SSD is not even 6 months old.

In all due respect, I hope you are incorrect in think the SSD is going bad, but I will respect your hunch.

Cheers!
-Merlin

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 02 Oct 2018 17:50 #10229

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.

Please run the Surface Scan as a separate test to check the SSD , rather than using the Check Computer suite. I am not sure whether the report made by the Check Computer suite gives the block numbers of the bad blocks, and whether it states whether the block belongs to a file. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 02 Oct 2018 17:55 #10230

When I ran the Surface Scan, it would only provide block numbers as "Bad Blocks", at some point in the process the laptop froze and restarted on its own.

-Merlin

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 02 Oct 2018 18:24 #10231

I am not sure whether you are referring to the Surface Scan run as part of the Check Computer suite, or a separate run of the Surface Scan you did after my last posting.

Try running the Surface Scan as a separate test, and as soon as any bad blocks are reported, either make a screen capture of the TechTool Pro window, or take a photo. It would be really helpful to know approximately how many bad blocks there are.

There are rare cases in which the drive is so bad that the Surface Scan test, which is only reading blocks, one after another, crashes because the data coming back from the drive is something unexpected, and even rarer cases in which the behavior of the drive causes the computer to crash.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 02 Oct 2018 19:09 #10232

Merl1n wrote:
Well,

After several (and I do mean "several") attempts to get the mid-2015 SSD to moon, nothing worked.
Luckily, I had the System backed up (Time Machine), so no real pain there (minus a few files...oh well).

I then proceeded to re-formatthe drive, and instal Sierra...This the allowed me to install Mojave (without going through High Sierra). This process is currently ongoing.

No, I am NOT giving up on TTP! But as a product that I use in conjunction with TTP, I also use Disk Warrior.

Together, I have solved >98% of all my computer issues...It's just that Mojave seems to have stumped both companies.

I have no doubt that Micromat & Alsoft are working to get new updates out ASAP.

Much appreciated for the assistance on this forum.

I'll post any news that I get relevant to Mojave and TTP form my system.

Cheers!

-Merlin

First, it has been stated that Moicromat performs 2 updates a year on TTPro (assuming no extreme "emergencies"): June, and December. The December update is (logically) for the new version of the Mac OS that arrives in late September. One cannot expect Micromat (or Alsoft, or Prosoft Enginering (they make Drive Genius)) to have a version of their disk-related software ready when the new Mac OS comes out. As it is, the timing by Micromat for that December release is ideal, as Apple typically releases a ".2" version of the new OS by then.

Secondly, this APFS "business" actually began last year with High Sierra, and the TTPro update last December actually addressed that new feature quite well (from what I understand, Disk Warrior and Drive Genius still have some "issues" with APFS. The one serious shortcoming with High Sierra and APFS was with Macs that have Fusion Drives. Mojave "supposedly" addresses that short coming. So obviously any disk "management" software like TTPro needs time to accommodate that new feature in Mojave (along with other features).

So, I fail to see the need to upgrade to Mojave right away, especially given that there is nothing really "earth shattering" (except for Macs with Fusion Drives) in the new OS. And of course it is best to wait until there are upgrades available (if necessary) for any third party software one is using before upgrading to the new OS.

Third, glad you make backups with Time Machine. But I prefer (and use) SuperDuper! (Carbon Copy Cloner is another excellent, similar product). Doing a recovery from either of them is so much easier than from a Time Machine backup. Also, doing a fresh, clean installation of the Mac OS (whether new, or a "." release) is again so much smoother with either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 02 Oct 2018 19:15 #10233

What are the differences between running Surface Scan as part of the "Check Computer suite, or on its own? As it is, starting with High Sierra, Surface Scan can't be run from the eDrive, and need to be run from a separate volume (I believe V10.x of TTPro overcomes this, but aside from that, there were no other features of V10.x that had had benefit for me, so I have stuck with V9.6.3).

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 02 Oct 2018 20:00 #10234

akent35,

Running the Surface Scan as a separate test avoids spending time on running other tests. I do not know whether the reports differ in the amount of detailed information provided. Running the Surface Scan as a separate test provides the block numbers of the blocks that could not be read, and an indication of what file they belong to, if any.

To run the Surface Scan under High Sierra, you must restart from a volume that is on a different device from the one you wish to examine, a result of changes Apple made.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 02 Oct 2018 23:45 #10235

micromattech3 wrote:
akent35,

Running the Surface Scan as a separate test avoids spending time on running other tests. I do not know whether the reports differ in the amount of detailed information provided. Running the Surface Scan as a separate test provides the block numbers of the blocks that could not be read, and an indication of what file they belong to, if any.

To run the Surface Scan under High Sierra, you must restart from a volume that is on a different device from the one you wish to examine, a result of changes Apple made.

Thanks for that. And yes, starting with High Sierra, it became necessary to do a Surface Scan of one's internal drive by running Tech Tool Pro from an external volume. I solved that issue easily, as I have been using SuperDuper! for my backups of both of my Macs for quite a while. The beauty of it (Carbon Copy Cloner is a similar, excellent product) is that it makes a bootable backup/clone of one's system. So if I want to run a Surface Scan on either of my internal SSDs, I just boot the respective Mac from its most recent SuperDuper! backup (I do such backups every Saturday), launch TTPro from there, and then I can run the Surface Scan. Works like a charm!

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 02 Oct 2018 23:53 #10236

You are welcome.

If you choose not to use Time Machine for backups, you should make sure that you have another backup program configured to retain older versions of files, otherwise, you could replace the latest good version of a file with a recently-saved corrupted version that was corrupted when it was saved. I have already had this happen with my Yojimbo database, which was corrupted on save.

tidbits.com/2015/06/21/11-stupid-backup-strategies/
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 03 Oct 2018 02:13 #10237

micromattech3 wrote:
You are welcome.

If you choose not to use Time Machine for backups, you should make sure that you have another backup program configured to retain older versions of files, otherwise, you could replace the latest good version of a file with a recently-saved corrupted version that was corrupted when it was saved. I have already had this happen with my Yojimbo database, which was corrupted on save.

tidbits.com/2015/06/21/11-stupid-backup-strategies/

As usual, each one's circumstances are different. Myself, once a week backups are easily enough. But I am also very thorough in keeping my Macs "lean, mean, and clean". In fact, I am doing disk cleanup every day, and many times each day. That is primarily due to be having deleted EMails permanently removed. Also, I always keep two prior versions of updates for software. When another one comes out, after downloading and testing it, I save it, and remove the oldest one. And of course I use Onyx, Tech Tool Pro, and SuperDuper! once a week as part of my weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, and backup, tasks.

Additionally, even when I am not having issues (which is about 99% of the time), I run Malwarebytes and ClamXav to check for adware/malware/viruses.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 03 Oct 2018 02:37 #10238

You could lose a week's worth of data with such an approach.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 03 Oct 2018 02:58 #10239

I understand that. But in my case, the most I would lose are 1) kept EMails, 2) Quicken transaction data (checking account, but I have a paper copy anyway), and 3) updates to software. Knock on wood, I have never had anything like you mention happen to me.

Again, my situation is not the same as most folks. And I suspect you could say the same thing about your situation. My tasks/practices work well for me.

Tech Tool Pro and Mojave, OS 10.14 03 Oct 2018 05:34 #10240

Merlin here (again),

I attached a few photos of the "new" High Sierra I loaded onto my MBP. As you can see, the SMART tool is not available (either on the parent system or in the eDrive).

Btw, when I went to bring my Time Machine-saved information on the the "new" system, using Migration Assistant seemed to work better than going through Time Machine itself (or is it me? I don't know at this point).

Any ideas on the SMART issue would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, I have not received any direct emails from Micromat...I was supposed to receive something on Monday.

Cheers!

-Merlin
Attachments:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.392 seconds