Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: NVRAM or SMC Reset boots into eDrive

NVRAM or SMC Reset boots into eDrive 07 Jul 2018 23:50 #9949

I have just purchased a 2016 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. I immediately upgraded the machine to High Sierra after the initial setup. I did not use Migration Assistant.
I installed TechTool Pro 10 and created an eDrive.

The problem I am having now is that when I follow Apple's procedures for resetting NVRAM and the SMC controller the MacBook Pro always boots into eDrive. I do not have a firmware password active.

I have no idea why this is happening and do not know if the resets have occurred. Any ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

NVRAM or SMC Reset boots into eDrive 08 Jul 2018 00:02 #9950

When you reset the NVRAM, you are erasing the setting for the default startup device. I do not know why the eDrive is being chosen, but you should be able to fix this by using the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences.

If for some reason you cannot access System Preferences, restart and immediately hold down the Option key to invoke the Startup Manager. Choose a bootable volume, and when the boot is complete, reconfigure the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

NVRAM or SMC Reset boots into eDrive 08 Jul 2018 00:17 #9951

I have checked the selected startup disk many times and it is set to my internal hard drive.

I will try a removal of the eDrive and see what behavior occurs. If normal I will create a new eDrive and see what happens. Will report back.

NVRAM or SMC Reset boots into eDrive 08 Jul 2018 00:21 #9952

It is possible that the usual startup volume is not being recognized as valid during the boot, and so the boot takes place from the eDrive.

Be sure to make a backup of the drive before you remove the eDrive, because that involves writing to the partition map.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

NVRAM or SMC Reset boots into eDrive 08 Jul 2018 00:30 #9953

You may have gotten a bad installation of High Sierra.

When you installed High Sierra, you should have gotten a Recovery HD volume. If you boot from it, you can re-install High Sierra without erasing the volume.

If you had a completely up-to-date Time Machine backup, or a clone made with Carbon Copy Cloner, ChronoSync, or Super Duper, you could erase the volume with the present installation of High Sierra, reinstall High Sierra, and then migrate your applications, user files, and network settings from the backup, all while booted from the Recovery HD volume:

About macOS Recovery
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 08 Jul 2018 00:31 by micromattech3.

NVRAM or SMC Reset boots into eDrive 08 Jul 2018 00:36 #9954

Did you try the Startup Manager, as described above?
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

NVRAM or SMC Reset boots into eDrive 08 Jul 2018 01:23 #9956

Yes I have.

Removed the eDrive, then reset the NVRAM on startup. Normal behavior.

Created a new eDrive reset the NVRAM again and the old behavior returned, rebooted into eDrive.

I suspect that it is something in the eDrive creation process that is causing this.

NVRAM or SMC Reset boots into eDrive 08 Jul 2018 01:33 #9958

Thanks for the update.

I am sorry that installing the eDrive has caused such trouble. I suspect that very few people reset their NVRAM or SMC after creating an eDrive. I would appreciate it if you would send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , describing what happened. You will receive a reply by email on Monday, and may be asked to send in some additional information, such as an Apple System Information report. Thank you.

Due to changes Apple made in High Sierra, having an eDrive on the same device as your usual startup volume is not particularly useful. In order to run the Surface Scan, or use the File Optimization or Volume Optimization tools, you must boot from a bootable volume containing TechTool Pro that is on a separate physical device. Also, Trash History and Directory Backup do not work on the active startup volume if it contains High Sierra, because of changes Apple made to security.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

NVRAM or SMC Reset boots into eDrive 08 Jul 2018 04:18 #9961

Sending the email .... thanks.

NVRAM or SMC Reset boots into eDrive 08 Jul 2018 11:43 #9963

Thanks for your cooperation. I hope the rest of your beginning to use your MacBook Pro will go better.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds