Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: "Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 17 Jun 2018 18:23 #9831

I"m running a Tech Tool Pro 10 on a hard drive containing a backup of a computer running Mac on OS 10.13.5 (High Sierra) and when I run Volume Rebuild it fails with the message that "Recheck failed." The drive is partitioned and this is the partition that has the operating system files. Volume Rebuild will work successfully on the other partitions, and all the other tests and tools are successful on the partition that's failing Volume Rebuild.

What's a good set of steps to take after this?
I was thinking I can install High Sierra on a blank drive, then use Migration Assistant to copy parts of the partition that's failing the Volume Recheck without copying what might be the reason why it's failing, and I'm wondering if there's other options!

Thanks for any suggestions.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 17 Jun 2018 19:18 #9834

If you have access to the TechTool Pro 9.6.3 installer, in your Available Downloads, at the bottom of your My Account page, linked above, please install TechTool Pro 9.6.3 (you will need your serial number) and see if the Volume Rebuild that did not work in TechTool Pro 10.0.1 works with TechTool Pro 9.6.3. Several people have reported that the older version works on volumes on which the newer one does not. Please send the results to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread.

The beta administrator for TechTool Pro has informed me that the programmer has confirmed that the code in the Volume Rebuild tool in TechTool Pro 10.0.1 is identical to the code in TechTool Pro 9.6.3, except for the new support for the two Windows volume types. On Monday, we will try to determine why people are getting this puzzling result. Your cooperation and patience are appreciated. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 21 Jun 2018 22:05 #9871

Progress: The problem with the Volume Rebuild tool has been reproduced in house. We hope to have a beta build that fixes the problem ready some time next week.

It would be helpful if those of you who have encountered this problem would send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , after this weekend, requesting that you be sent a link to the beta build when it is ready. Thanks for your cooperation and your patience.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 29 Jun 2018 16:06 #9906

Experienced the same issue. Wish Micromat would send out an alert to all registered users when an issue with the release is verified to save us in the real world from spinning our wheels as if we have nothing else to do trying to diagnose why our computer has gone awry when it is really a glitchy diagnostic tool.

Anyhow now that I see that there is a process established I have sent the requested email asking for a link to the beta version fix. What is the ETA for this?

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 29 Jun 2018 16:35 #9908

Thanks for your report.

There is way to predict when the next release will be ready. All I have to report is that the programmer is working on the problem. If anyone else has this result, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 29 Jun 2018 19:03 #9911

ijuly721,

Thanks for your report.

Please send the results of your testing of the beta to the address that sent you the link to the download. I will not post it here, because beta testing is confidential. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 30 Jun 2018 01:22 #9912

YUP ... I am getting that as well.

OS Mac 10.13.3 ... I have a La Cie 3 TB hard drive that has a Carbon Copy Clone of the mirror start up OS on the iMac 27 inch.

I can be on the Start Up OS iMac ... and the Desktop Volume Rebuild works through the whole file ... the First Discovery from the External Hard Drive boot up it was an UNUSUAL change. I approved of the rebuild .. and TTP quit telling me of the failure.

I got the screen shots and TTP report off ...

When I did the iMac OS Startup internal hard drive ... TTP 10 did the rebuild as before .. and it was a USUAL change this time. It .. however took 14 minutes to do .. while the prior one was 10 minutes. Again ... approve the rebuild .. and there is a Failure.

I got those screen shots and TTP report for the next conversation with Micromat- Support.

Not to worry .. as soon as they can duplicate it in the lab .. they will fix it.

So I might have to send my Mac OS inventory file.

sumbuddie wear blind sea

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 30 Jun 2018 01:36 #9913

Alan Mac Farlane,

Thanks for your report.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email on Monday. The Volume Rebuild failure has been reproduced in the testing lab, and the programmer is working on a beta build intended to address this. It would be helpful if you volunteered to test that build when it is ready.

We do need to have anyone who has this Volume Rebuild failure contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . While the problem has been reproduced, we have to keep in mind that there are rare cases in which the same symptom has more than one possible cause. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 30 Jun 2018 17:48 #9914

Yup ... again ... Micromat already sent me the BETA ... release of 10.0.2 and installing it now for a test ...

or I hope so.

Lucky me as a LaCie 3 Terrbyte Hard Drive that has a Mirror Bootable Mac OS on it .. thanks to Carbon Copy Cloner making that happened for me.

So ... see what happens.

thanks very much ...

sumbuddie wear blind sea

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 30 Jun 2018 18:25 #9915

Thanks for your cooperation in testing the beta build.

Having a bootable backup made by Carbon Copy Cloner, ChronoSync, or Super Duper is an important part of having a good backup plan.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 16 Sep 2018 15:39 #10131

I had the same issue. Fortunately, I found this thread and was able to downgrade to TTP 9.6.3 and run a Volume Rebuild on the same volume (my startup volume) without any errors.

Nevertheless, I would appreciated a warning about this known issue before I used TTP 10 on my main volume. I have multiple backups, including a clone, so the risk was low to me, but others might not have the same safety cushion. I have relied on TTP for years to keep my (and my family's) Macs running smoothly, but when something like this happens, it really undermines my confidence in your product. :(

I don't want a Beta copy of an untested product after it may have already done damage to my drives, I want to know about the issue so I can avoid the damage in the first place.

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 16 Sep 2018 15:43 #10132

The betas are far from untested when they are offered to customers to see if they resolve the issue that they have reported. The volume rebuild problem affects few users, but is clearly important, and is the focus of current development.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 16 Sep 2018 17:07 #10133

I also have concerns about running a beta version. I don't have the expertise or time to resolve any problems associated with un-validated software.

That said it has been several months since I and others raised this issue. I originally upgraded from ver 9 to 10 in hopes of resolving software issues and am very disappointed that this has lingered for so many months. How can an ETA for this to be resolved be shared to your user base?

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 16 Sep 2018 17:39 #10134

The beta versions that are sent to users are not "unvalidated" software. They are builds that are intended to address the specific issue the customer has encounter.

All I can tell you is that progress is being made on testing next release. The beta testing itself is confidential, and there is no way in advance to predict what problems may arise, or how long it would take to resolve such problems.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 16 Sep 2018 17:44 #10137

If they address the issue why hasn't the program been versioned to provide the update for all?

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 16 Sep 2018 17:45 #10138

Because the public release has to be tested by the entire beta test process, which deals with multiple issues and their intended solutions.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 17 Sep 2018 16:37 #10145

jk#3 wrote:
I also have concerns about running a beta version. I don't have the expertise or time to resolve any problems associated with un-validated software.

That said it has been several months since I and others raised this issue. I originally upgraded from ver 9 to 10 in hopes of resolving software issues and am very disappointed that this has lingered for so many months. How can an ETA for this to be resolved be shared to your user base?

The First Beta I ran (OS 10.13.6) there was hell to pay but my fix was pretty easy ... since I was on the boot able clone hard drive (using Carbon Copy Cloner, there are other programs that accomplish similar results) with Tech Tool Pro Beta Version 10.0.2 (4198-5de03ce) was not available yet. I just cloned my back OS hard drive onto my start up iMac drive ... and Bob's your uncle.

Sent in the reports (Micromat Educates you into what TTP and OS files they want you to secure for attachments to your email) as my Apple set up allows.

About 6 days later in email .. I got another Administrator Password Protected Beta Download that is updated to Version 10.0.2 (4198-5de03ce) this .. that I am using now.

I had just finished a brand new OS install from Apple about 30 hour previously ... ran the TTP Beta .. and every thing worked. The Desktop Rebuild was accomplished ... but with an orange code 'Unusual Change'

About 5 days later as I had time to do the work from my other daily computer requirements ... and I did another Desktop Rebuild with the Beta ... and it also completed it .. but with a green code 'Usual Change'

ON my Apple Hardware - Software Configuration (late 2013 desktop 27 inch iMac) these are the results I got.

I think it will work the same for your configuration.

I recommend you spend the time on the Beta ... give it a go ... and send in the reports.

You can easily fix any mess that arises ... and that mess ... would be of GREAT EDUCATIONAL benefit to the Developers ... as they are looking for what is wrong ...

that could be caused by 5 different software code vectors ... in creating the same bug report.

My very warmest regards.

sumbuddie wear blind sea

"Recheck Failed" - Volume Rebuild 17 Sep 2018 16:40 #10146

Alan,

Thanks for encouraging people to cooperate with the only known method of reproducing a solving problems with software.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds