Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3?

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 12 Jun 2018 03:20 #9770

What features/improvements does one get by upgrading to TTP 10 from rom TTP 9.6.3?
(you may point me to a list if there is one, manuals look very similar)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 12 Jun 2018 03:24 #9771

Thank you for consulting the manuals.

When a new product is introduced, the best way to see the new features is in the online store:

TechTool Pro 10
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 12 Jun 2018 09:59 #9779

There is nothing there on "improvements since 9.6.X" and from the store v10 seems the same unless I miss something. It would help to know why one should upgrade for $20, even if is to keep current and support macOS Mojave (10.14) later this year.

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 12 Jun 2018 10:22 #9780

New In TechTool Pro 10

Volume Rebuild
Better disk repair

We'll bet that many of you have flash drives, memory cards, even hard disks that aren't formatted for Mac. Techtool Pro 10 now supports testing and repair of MS-DOS (FAT32) and ExFAT formatted volumes. This means that you can now test and repair those memory cards from your camera, or that thumb drive your friend gave you with all those important files. Avoid losing your precious pictures - find out if those cards and drives have problems before you run into data loss.

On top of that, testing the start up volume is now available for both Mac OS Extended and APFS without starting up from the eDrive.

Techtool Remote

Results on the go
Techtool Pro now supports iCloud Drive. Simply download the new Techtool Remote iOS app (free on the App Store), and open it. Techtool Pro will then send test results to any iOS device logged in to the same iCloud account. So if you have a long test (or tests) running that you want to know the results of, but you need to hit the road, you can now get notified of your results anywhere you have an internet connection.
battery

Test your iPhone or iPad battery
Recent reports have shown that battery condition can affect the performance of your iPhone and iPad. If your iOS device is connected to your Mac, Techtool Pro can now test your device's battery, and give you a host of other important battery data as well. Find out if your iPhone or iPad is running at its full potential.
edrive icon

More control at your fingertips
eDrive and Surface Scan now give you more flexibility. Need your eDrive to be a big larger for additional applications or files? The eDrive tool now gives you the option of selecting a larger size partition. Want to scan a particular portion of your drive for bad blocks? Surface Scan can now start at any location on your disk.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 12 Jun 2018 17:09 #9782

jw13 wrote:
There is nothing there on "improvements since 9.6.X" and from the store v10 seems the same unless I miss something. It would help to know why one should upgrade for $20, even if is to keep current and support macOS Mojave (10.14) later this year.

Like you, there is nothing in this update that is an improvement over V9.6.3, at least not for me. I have SSDs inside both of my Macs, along with two SSDs enclosed in external cases, and given that I am using High Sierra, OS 10.13.5, such SSDs (two of the partitions on each of the external ones) are formatted as APFS. Also, I use the eDrive to have Tech Tool Pro perform its applicable tasks on my internal SSDs. Hence, there is nothing in this update that will help me at all.

As for OS 10.14, Mojave, I doubt that this current update will support it. Typically MIcromat does come out with a version of Tech Tool Pro that is compatible with the new OS, but most of the time, that occurs a couple of months after that new Mac OS is released. For example, when Sierra was released, Micromat did not introduce the compatible version of TTPro until the latter part of Movember 2016, and by that time, OS 10.12.1 had been released. Similarly, last year Micromat did not introduce the compatible version of TTPro for High Sierra until December 2017, and once again, by that time OS 10.13.2 had been released.

That update for Mojave will not be free. As for pricing, last year it was $19.99 if one had the latest version of TTPro, and $29.99 if one had the prior version. So, staying with V9.6.3 until the version for Mojave compatibility is released should be only $29.99 to upgrade. I am going to try and verify that with the sales department at Micromat.

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 13 Jun 2018 15:11 #9798

What I find aggravating is that I just purchased 9.6 3 weeks ago. I feel as though this should be. free update for me. The upgrade price is the same to upgrade from 9. I find it crazy that in under one month's time you want me to pay to stay current with your app.

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 13 Jun 2018 15:53 #9799

The usual policy on upgrades purchased recently is for you to contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , provided the date of purchase is 30 days or less from the date of the release of the new version.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 13 Jun 2018 16:12 #9800

BuffaloJohn wrote:
What I find aggravating is that I just purchased 9.6 3 weeks ago. I feel as though this should be. free update for me. The upgrade price is the same to upgrade from 9. I find it crazy that in under one month's time you want me to pay to stay current with your app.

I certainly understand where you are coming from. I have been in touch with the sales department at Micromat, and they told me they are on a twice a year release "paid cycle". So, V10.0.1 (or 10.0.2?) is available now, and the next "paid" release will be about 6 months from now. I suspect that release will primarily be for OS 10.14, Mojave compatibility. Not sure, though, what the upgrade price will be, but in their initial response to me, it should be $19.99.

Regarding the current, new release (which apparently has some bugs), the decision to upgrade depends on one's situation. I have already stated why this upgrade will be nothing for me (use on SSDs, running TTPro from the eDrive is fine, works well with High Sierra, etc.), and thus I am skipping it. For some folks though, there are some beneficial features in this new version.

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 13 Jun 2018 17:55 #9801

From a message from the sales department:

If you purchased Techtool Pro 9.6.3 after May 8, 2018 (30 days prior to the new TTP10 release), Micromat will supply you with a free upgrade. Just send an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with your order number or serial number and ask for the free upgrade.

The sales department looked up your [akent35's] order, and your last purchase was 6 months ago, in December 2017, for TTP 9.6.3. If you had placed another order just 3 weeks ago, then email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your order number, and they will supply the free upgrade to your account.

Micromat releases new upgrades approximately every 6 months to provide new features earlier and at lower prices (which was $39.99-$59.99). In 6 months, when TTP 11 is released, and if you have TTP 10, then the upgrade price is $19.99; if you have TTP 9, the upgrade price is $29.99. If the features are not enough to warrant your upgrading, then wait for the next version, or even the version after.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2018 22:56 by micromattech3. Reason: Corrected date.

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 14 Jun 2018 20:14 #9813

micromattech3 wrote:
From a message from the sales department:

If you purchased Techtool Pro 9.6.3 after May 8, 2018 (30 days prior to the new TTP10 release), Micromat will supply you with a free upgrade. Just send an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with your order number or serial number and ask for the free upgrade.

The sales department looked up your [akent35's] order, and your last purchase was 6 months ago, in December 2017, for TTP 9.6.3. If you had placed another order just 3 weeks ago, then email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your order number, and they will supply the free upgrade to your account.

Micromat releases new upgrades approximately every 6 months to provide new features earlier and at lower prices (which was $39.99-$59.99). In 6 months, when TTP 11 is released, and if you have TTP 10, then the upgrade price is $19.99; if you have TTP 9, the upgrade price is $29.99. If the features are not enough to warrant your upgrading, then wait for the next version, or even the version after.

As I have stated a couple of times, given that there is nothing in this new version that will be of benefit for myself, I am going to skip it (there are some bugs with it anyway). When TTPro V11.x comes out in December, I will need to pay $29.99, which is OK.
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2018 22:54 by micromattech3. Reason: Corrected date.

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 15 Jun 2018 20:21 #9829

Glad to have this information, as I upgraded from 9 to 9.6 on June 1st. I emailed This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. on Monfay, and haven't had a reply, not even an acknowledgement. Should I email again or are they just taking their time to respond?

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 15 Jun 2018 21:54 #9830

For the time being, I suggest just waiting. There are many of these requests in a queue, and someone is processing them in the order in which they are received. Thanks for your patience.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 23 Jun 2018 10:47 #9887

Is one TTP 10 licence valid on both my desktop and my portable Macs?

why upgrade from TTP 9.6.3? 23 Jun 2018 11:15 #9888

The present policy is that the license is for only one computer. However, additional licenses are inexpensive. Please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , and they will help you to purchase additional licenses. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds