Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TechTool Pro 10 [Volume Rebuild fails]

TechTool Pro 10 [Volume Rebuild fails] 09 Jun 2018 16:16 #9720

Just purchased and tried TechTool Pro 10 on a Firewire Hard Drive that has High Sierra 10.13.4 and the process failed.

There was no detailed explanation of what went wrong or how to fix it.

refer to screen shots
Attachments:
Last Edit: 17 Jun 2018 19:11 by micromattech3.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TechTool Pro 10 09 Jun 2018 16:28 #9721

The Volume Rebuild tool does not give a diagnosis of what is wrong with the disk directory of the volume you were attempting to rebuild. If you run the Volume Structures test or use Disk Utility, you may get an indication of what is wrong with the disk directory, which is apparently something that Volume Rebuild cannot fix in this case.

I suggest you run the Surface Scan to check the drive that contains the volume in question for unremppaed bad blocks. For future reference:

If you are using High Sierra, in order to perform a Surface Scan on the device which contains the normal startup volume, the user must create an eDrive on a separate physical device or create a TechTool Protogo device, then boot from the eDrive or Protogo device. You could also use a bootable clone containing an installation of TechTool Pro, but the volume containing the bootable clone would have to be on a separate device. This change is a consequence of changes Apple made in High Sierra.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 10 09 Jun 2018 16:49 #9722

I should have noted that I was running TechTool Pro 10 from my main hard drive.

So i don't understand how running TTPro 10 from an eDrive to rebuild that Firewire drive makes any difference.

Anyway, I used DiskWarrior 5.1 to rebuild the Firewire drive with no problems reported.

Perhaps it's too early in the development of TTPro 10 .

Incidentally could/would you setup a separate forum topic dedicated to TTPro 10 users to get feedback and other issues from other users of your latest version.

Thanks for your interest and help/suggestions in my problem.

TechTool Pro 10 09 Jun 2018 16:58 #9723

Running the program from an eDrive will not make any difference in the result in your case.

Thanks for the suggestion about a new forum for TechTool Pro 10.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: Walter

TechTool Pro 10 09 Jun 2018 18:42 #9724

I[m still at a loss as to why the Volume Rebuild by TTPro 10 failed whereas the Volume Rebuild by DiskWarrior 5 had no problems.

Therefore I'm not sure that i should be using TTPro 10 's current version to rebuild the Volume of my main Macintosh HD that is running High Sierra 10.13.5 .

At this time I feel my purchase was too early. Should have waited until it has been tested by other users. Hope there will be an update to TTPro 10 soon since I spent 19+bucks ( Canadian to US ) and not getting my monies worth now. Somewhat reminds me of the many issues TTPro 9 went through. However i'm still prepared money wise to support Micromat.

TechTool Pro 10 09 Jun 2018 18:47 #9725

You are welcome, and thanks for your continued support.

There is no way to explain why one utility was able to repair a volume's disk directory and another was not in a particular case without having two copies of the volume, as identical as possible, made by copying bits, not files, and then having the programmers study the attempted repairs.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 10 09 Jun 2018 19:50 #9726

Your thread has been moved to a new TechTool Pro 10 forum.

In fact, as the years have gone by there are fewer and fewer reports in these forums of cases in which Disk Warrior can repair a disk directory that TechTool Pro cannot fix.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 09 Jun 2018 19:53 by micromattech3.

TechTool Pro 10 11 Jun 2018 19:43 #9756

As I stated in two other forums, this new version has some serious issues, and given my setup, and how well V9.6.3 is working for me (both of my Macs are running OS 10.13.5), I see no compelling reason to upgrade now. But if I wait until the (expected) upgrade after OS 10.14, Mojave, is released, how much will my upgrade fee? To be fair, it should be $19.99, but based on last year, Micromat will probably charge $39.99.

I'd like to get clear, concise clarification about this. It seems my choices are:

1. Upgrade to V10.0.x now (after these issues are fixed) and pay $19.99. Then, after OS 10.14 comes out, upgrade to the newer version of TTPro (V10.something) for (hopefully) $19.99. Point of clarification needed: will the upgrade fee at that time (ie, the version of TTPro after OS 10.14 is released) be $19.99, or like last year, $39.99?

2. Skip the current version (ie, stick with V9.6.3), then upgrade to V10.whatever after OS 10.14 is released. The question is what would the upgrade fee be?

TechTool Pro 10 11 Jun 2018 21:52 #9761

akent35,

Please send an inquiry to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 10 11 Jun 2018 22:07 #9763

micromattech3 wrote:
akent35,

Please send an inquiry to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.

The problem is that department is made of of sales folks, and they would give me a sales pitch as to why I should upgrade to V10.0.1. Yet, I have sound, solid, valid technical reasons why that would be a total waste of time and money for my situation.

But I'll try that, and report back here what they told me.

TechTool Pro 10 11 Jun 2018 22:22 #9765

akent35,

I would appreciate it if you would stop making the same point in multiple locations. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 11 Jun 2018 22:22 by micromattech3.

TechTool Pro 10 12 Jun 2018 01:58 #9766

You are one of the "other users" of which you speak. :-( So thanks for the warning. You could reinstall your previous version of TTP to use until a later date when version 10 is up to snuff. I admit I was tempted to buy TTP 10; I haven't had any problem with earlier versions. But given your experience I think I will wait to see what Micromat turns up in the way of a solution.

A few other relevant questions:

1. Is your boot drive an SSD in APFS format?

2. Is your external drive an SSD in APFS format?

Perhaps the biggest leap for TTP is support for APFS. It is quite possible that TTP is a little early to the game here. As far as I know Apple hasn't finalized the specification yet. On the other hand, if one or both of your drives are HFS+ then that is a problem of backwards compatibility that was apparently introduced when the new version was being put together.

TechTool Pro 10 12 Jun 2018 02:10 #9767

Jeff,

APFS is a work in progress.

The documentation for APFS that has been released to date is not at the level of detail required at a minimum, the level of TN1150 for HFS+.

The Volume Rebuild feature in TechTool Pro 10.0.1 is identical to the one in TechTool Pro 9.6.3, except for the addition of support for two Windows volume formats. Therefore, there is no backwards compatibly problem for HFS+ and APFS volumes.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 12 Jun 2018 02:16 by micromattech3.

TechTool Pro 10 12 Jun 2018 02:33 #9768

Jeff wrote:

A few other relevant questions:

1. Is your boot drive an SSD in APFS format?

2. Is your external drive an SSD in APFS format?

No, as noted in my opening topic posting. Hope this helps in your decision to buy or not to buy this version..

Although there have been a few glitches for me using TTPro 10 I'm OK with my purchase of TTPro 10 because Micromat programmers will eventually figure out the problems and will issue updates. Besides it's only $20 bucks which won't make me go broke.
Last Edit: 12 Jun 2018 02:56 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: micromattech3

TechTool Pro 10 12 Jun 2018 03:18 #9769

micromattech3 wrote:
akent35,

I would appreciate it if you would stop making the same point in multiple locations. Thank you.

OK, but it would be best if I get a definitive answer regarding upgrade pricing. I doubt the sales department will be of much help.

TechTool Pro 10 12 Jun 2018 03:26 #9772

The sales department knows its policies, present and future, better than I do. Please stop repeatedly expressing your doubts about their ability to answer a question.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 10 12 Jun 2018 03:35 #9773

jeff@whitedog.biz wrote:

Perhaps the biggest leap for TTP is support for APFS. It is quite possible that TTP is a little early to the game here. As far as I know Apple hasn't finalized the specification yet. On the other hand, if one or both of your drives are HFS+ then that is a problem of backwards compatibility that was apparently introduced when the new version was being put together.

I have been using TTPro with OS 10.13.x of High Sierra (started with V10.13.2) ever since V9.6.1 of TTPro came out in December (V9.6.3 was just recently released). Both of my Macs have SSDs, and they have been formatted as APFS. No problems here running TTPro from the eDrive, and having it perform my needed/applicable tasks, including Volume Structures, File Structures, and Volume Rebuild. Also, two of the partitions on each of my external Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig SSDs are formatted as APFS, and I use them for SuperDuper! backups for each of my Macs. Again no issues with the APFS format.

As I mentioned above, there is nothing in V10.0.1 of TTPro (at this point) which would benefit me. In fact, given the initial issues with V10.0.1, it seems I would have more problems.

Finally, earlier today I booted each of my Macs from the SuperDuper! backups I did on Saturday and ran TTPro's Surface Scan to analyze each of the internal SSDs. As expected. no issues arose.

TechTool Pro 10 12 Jun 2018 03:36 #9774

micromattech3 wrote:
The sales department knows its policies, present and future, better than I do. Please stop repeatedly expressing your doubts about their ability to answer a question.

OK, we'll see if I get the required, acceptable explanation.

TechTool Pro 10 12 Jun 2018 08:50 #9776

I take your point, however when I log in and go to my profile page and press Edit there appears to be no way to edit my screen name. The field is grayed out. If I'm missing something I'd appreciate a further heads up.

TechTool Pro 10 12 Jun 2018 09:32 #9777

Use the My Account link, not the Profile. The click "Account Information".
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 12 Jun 2018 09:37 by micromattech3.

TechTool Pro 10 12 Jun 2018 22:45 #9788

I have also experienced the 'Volume Rebuild' problem. Having purchased the upgrade today, I twice had a failure using this feature. You have said in replies to others that the code for Volume Rebuild has not been changed, but something most definitely has!, it would seem to me that some new code must be affecting it, (IMHO).
I can verify my claims as a result of uninstalling v10 and re-installing v9.6.3, whereas, running the Volume Rebuild in that, succeeded in success on the very same disc as before. I should add that prior to attempting to rebuild the disc in v10, I had run both 'Volume Structures' and 'Surface Scan' with a pass on both.

TechTool Pro 10 12 Jun 2018 22:50 #9789

Thanks for your clear, detailed, and methodologically sound report.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in some additional information, such as an Apple System Information report. The response time is likely to be longer than usual, as is normally the case in the immediate aftermath of a major new release. Thanks for your cooperation and patience.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 10 17 Jun 2018 18:39 #9832

I'm experiencing the same issue too and posted my own thread today about it before I was wandering around the forum and saw this one. Maybe the thread title here can be changed into something more precise so so others can find the topic!

I think it's a TTP 10 issue because I never got this message on the same partition prior to upgrading to TTP10. I hope it's a software glitch and not that my drive is buggy! The drive tests out well in all other tests. I'll watch this thread andmine to see what develops.

TechTool Pro 10 17 Jun 2018 19:12 #9833

I changed the title to: TechTool Pro 10 [Volume Rebuild fails] . Please see the reply in your other thread.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 10 17 Jun 2018 19:40 #9837

ijuly721 wrote:
I'm experiencing the same issue too and posted my own thread today about it before I was wandering around the forum and saw this one. Maybe the thread title here can be changed into something more precise so so others can find the topic!

I think it's a TTP 10 issue because I never got this message on the same partition prior to upgrading to TTP10. I hope it's a software glitch and not that my drive is buggy! The drive tests out well in all other tests. I'll watch this thread andmine to see what develops.

Excuse me for riding on your coattails. It happened to me again today. I've followed all the advice/suggestion provided by TechToolPro 10 experts and still TTPro10 fails but DiskWarrior ( 5.1 ) does not. Now I know that there will be blah blah and yada yada reasons such as your disk is to full, ,it's raining in Bangladesh and so on and so on.. I've been using Tech Tool every since the Mac os 7.5 days and have come to trust it. With version 10 there is this task it consistently fails. Well at least it is consistent in that aspect.

It seems that the TTPro 10 programmers are stumped regarding this problem, fair enough, and we users have to patiently wait for an update.

TechTool Pro 10 17 Jun 2018 19:47 #9838

Walter,

The programmers are not stumped. They will put the submitted Apple System Information reports into a database, look at log files, and try to determine why people are getting the result that has been reported. It may take some time, but once the recipe for reproducing the problem has been found, it should not be difficult to fix.

I have not given anyone any silly misleading explanations of this odd result, because I have not attempted to explain it. Please refrain from making such remarks. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 10 21 Jun 2018 22:04 #9870

The problem with the Volume Rebuild tool has been reproduced in house. We hope to have a beta build that fixes the problem ready some time next week.

It would be helpful if those of you who have encountered this problem would send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , after this weekend, requesting that you be sent a link to the beta build when it is ready. Thanks for your cooperation and your patience.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: Walter

TechTool Pro 10 [Volume Rebuild fails] 11 Jul 2018 00:03 #9981

I too am having problems with volume rebuild. I always get an error followed by termination.

I'm running High Sierra on a late 2013 27" iMac.

Let us know when you have a fix.

TechTool Pro 10 [Volume Rebuild fails] 11 Jul 2018 00:05 #9982

I tried to reload 9.6.3. Won't accept my serial number. (9.6.3 worked!)

TechTool Pro 10 [Volume Rebuild fails] 11 Jul 2018 00:43 #9983

rarter,

If you are having problems with the Volume Rebuild tool, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to test a beta build of the program intended to solve any problems with the Volume Rebuild tool.

You can download the TechTool Pro 9.6.3 installer from your Available Downloads, at the bottom of your My Account page, linked above. Your TechTool Pro 9.6.3 serial number appears next to the installer. If the serial number no longer works, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you. You will receive a reply by email tomorrow. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 10 [Volume Rebuild fails] 15 Jul 2018 04:54 #9991

I have the same problem. I am running OS X 10.13.5 and when I run volume rebuild it goes through eh whole process and then fails at the last step, recheck structures. I have tried removing the edrive and reinstalling it, updating my OS and TT 10, but it fails at the recheck step every time.

TechTool Pro 10 [Volume Rebuild fails] 15 Jul 2018 11:15 #9994

kevinlbrewster,

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , as described above. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 15 Jul 2018 11:16 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.468 seconds