Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: What can TechTool Pro 10 actually DO for a Mac these days?

What can TechTool Pro 10 actually DO for a Mac these days? 29 Aug 2018 09:29 #10080

Dear TechTool Pro people,

I finally got around to upgrading to the latest version of TTP.

But, reading the manual, all I can seem to find is all the ways TTP can no longer help to preserve my data.

There are no directory backups on the current startup volume in High Sierra.
There is no Trash History available for SSDs.

I appreciate that none of this is TTP's fault.

But could anyone take the time to explain to me just what I CAN do, in advance, with TTP in order to give my computer's Hard Drive the best chance of recovering from a serious crash?

Where do I find the options to turn on whatever protection IS available?

Lastly, if I did want to try and find an earlier version of a single file that had been overwritten (and, for whatever reason, not preserved by Time Machine), how could I scan for it by name / extension, or whatever?

Thanks guys,

Eric
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What can TechTool Pro 10 actually DO for a Mac these days? 29 Aug 2018 09:51 #10081

For rotational hard drive volumes and volumes other than the active startup volume, the Directory Backup and Trash history features are configured in the TechTool Protection system preferences pane.

The Surface Scan still works, although to run it under High Sierra, you must restart from a volume that is on a different device from the one you wish to examine, a result of changes Apple made. The Surface Scan detects unreadable blocks on rotational drives and unreadable memory cells on solid state drives. A sudden appearance of unremapped bad blocks is a good indicator of impending drive failure.

The SMART test has been improved, and now supports NVme drives.

Overwritten files cannot be recovered. Files that are on rotational drive volumes other than the active startup volume and which have been deleted but not overwritten may be able to be recovered using Data Recovery, especially if they are recorded in a Directory Backup. The feature is covered in the manual. You can see the search options in the screen capture below. Data Recovery cannot recover deleted files from SSDs, because the sectors get overwritten almost immediately to prepare them for the next write event.
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 29 Aug 2018 09:52 by micromattech3.

What can TechTool Pro 10 actually DO for a Mac these days? 29 Aug 2018 13:29 #10082

Thanks so much for the quick response.

Haven't we already established, though, that a Directory Backup is no longer possible for recent versions of OSX?

So we know we can run a couple of tests to establish whether there is anything already physically wrong with the drive.
Is that about it? No way, any more, to protect the data itself?

Sorry. I think I used the wrong phrase when I said "overwritten." What I meant was when you work on a file, make changes, and then save it. I understand that the older VERSION of the same file might actually survive somewhere else on the disk - albeit deleted - whilst the current directory now points to a completely different different part of the disk, where the new update has been saved.

For the sake of simplicity, let us assume we are searching a conventional drive with a spinning platter:

1) could a DEEP SCAN reveal the whereabouts of EARLIER versions of the same file?
2) could one search for such near duplicate earlier versions by name
3) or is that perhaps (only) possible if Directory Backup were already switched on?

Thanks again,

Eric

What can TechTool Pro 10 actually DO for a Mac these days? 29 Aug 2018 14:10 #10083

You are welcome.

The restrictions on Directory Backup are as described above. It cannot be used on the active startup volume when High Sierra is in use, because of changes Apple made, and it cannot be used on SSD drives.

The search options are shown in the screen capture above, and in the relevant section of the manual, which is in the Help in the program, and available as a pdf here:

www.micromat.com/index.php/productmanuals

You might be able to recover earlier versions of a file on a volume on a rotational hard drive if Directory Backup had been enabled, and the earlier versions of the file were recorded in the appropriate Protection file. You are less likely to recover data from such a volume if Directory Backup were not enabled. The results are not predicable, because there is no way to prevent the file manager from making use of (overwriting) sectors that the disk directory no longer regards as belonging to a file.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds