Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: What's the relationship of MacCheck to CheckMate?

What's the relationship of MacCheck to CheckMate? 04 May 2016 18:12 #7182

Is MacCheck essentially "CheckMate Lite" or does it replace CheckMate?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What's the relationship of MacCheck to CheckMate? 04 May 2016 18:42 #7183

There is a detailed description of the tests in both products under the Products menu.

The tests in Checkmate run on a schedule when you are not using your computer, with the exception of the volume structures test for the active startup volume.

Once you have installed Checkmate, you do not have to do anything else in order to have the tests run. If a problem is found, the Checkmate icon in the menu bar alternates from black to red repeatedly, until you read the log and see what the problem is.

Checkmate also includes a File Structures test, and monitors the All Messages log for input/output errors, which is helpful in finding failing drives and corrupted files. I have found that people sometimes make bad backups that involve input/output errors (also known as i/o errors) and are completely unaware of the defects in the backups. Finally, Checkmate has a Surface Scan that checks for unremapped bad blocks, which are often the cause of input/output errors. If the test in interrupted (because you started using the computer), it can resume where it left off later.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 04 May 2016 18:48 by micromattech3.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds