Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Lifespan

Lifespan 22 Nov 2019 18:47 #11519

Forum moderator's could you please set up a forum topic about Lifespan .

I just received an eMail about it and would be interested in hearing from users of this Micromat software .

Of course if you decide that it is not appropriate or required you may cancel my request .
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lifespan 22 Nov 2019 18:59 #11520

Walter,

When the forum for Lifespan is set up, I will move this posting to it.

Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: Walter

Lifespan 26 Nov 2019 04:47 #11527

Would you give a more detailed explanation of the Lifespan functionality please. I used other rolls several years ago to check the used lifespan of SSD drives. If memory serves me correctly, they were free or ver inexpensive, so Lifespan must have lots more capability than it would appear.

Lifespan 26 Nov 2019 10:47 #11528

The best way to see what Lifespan does and how it works is to read its brief manual, which is available at:

www.micromat.com/index.php/productmanuals

The only thing I can add is that the program does support the SSD portion of Fusion drives, those made by Apple and those made by "rolling your own". If the Fusion drive is external, then the SMART driver should be installed, a process described in the manual.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Lifespan 26 Nov 2019 17:32 #11529

It seems to only be limited to running in the menu bar so I don't see a lot of information ( life remaining %).
There are a lot of SSD tools out there that are free that seems to provide more information.
I haven't used any of them but I want to find one that works well.
This should be offered free for micromat registered users... and also for the ones waiting so long for the Techtool 12 to come out.

Lifespan 26 Nov 2019 18:06 #11530

@gbonnin ,

you make an excellent comment about the cost Sir .

The cost for the
Lifespan Loyalty Offer for all Micromat product owners $68.99 US .

That cost is somewhat rich for my budget and begs the question in my mind do i really really need this app .

I'm sure with today's programming micromat could issue a " try before you buy version " that would give you limited run , let's 2 runs to convince me that this application is worth the price and that I really should purchase it to have all the features. The manual does not convince me that really need this application .

Or, the "Loyalty" pricing should be around 20 or 25 dollars .

Lifespan 26 Nov 2019 18:07 #11531

The manual, suggested above, shows how the information is displayed when you use the menu bar item. If is a drop-down menu bar item.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 26 Nov 2019 18:16 by micromattech3.

Lifespan 26 Nov 2019 18:15 #11532

The loyalty pricing is currently $39.99.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Lifespan 26 Nov 2019 19:08 #11533

micromattech3 wrote:
The loyalty pricing is currently $39.99.

40 US dollars converted to Canadian is still way too much for my budget .

I'm sure there is a much cheaper/free app available by running google to find them .

Anyway, thanks micromat because at this time I'm really not convinced i need this just like the micromat usbee circuit tested i wasted $$$ purchasing .

Lifespan 27 Nov 2019 21:35 #11534

Actually, this is something that should have been incorporated in Techtool Pro software.
Too rich for my blood, even at 40.00

Lifespan 28 Nov 2019 14:35 #11537

I agree about incorporating Lifespan into Tech Tools. I purchased two copies and I do not understand how it works. I've read what's available, which is sparse indeed, and I feel I purchased thin air or the Brooklyn bridge. Very disappointing to say the least.

Lifespan 28 Nov 2019 15:24 #11539

The manual for Lifespan explains what it does and how to use it. It is illustrated with screen captures:

www.micromat.com/index.php/productmanuals

You can also read the manual by choosing Lifespan Help from the Help menu within the Lifespan application.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 28 Nov 2019 15:34 by micromattech3.

Lifespan 28 Nov 2019 15:38 #11541

Not really... if you are familiar with the app it probably does a great job. However, from someone not involved in the development of the application, it says very little. I've read manual and still, I'm in the dark as to how it functionals or what I need to do to see the menus. shown in the manual.

Lifespan 28 Nov 2019 15:39 #11542

Try to remember folks ... ever since the Light Bulb came together with the Edison crew stealing it from Tesla ... it is all a Light Bulb. Either it is 'on' .. or ... it is 'off' hence the computer being a bi-nary or 1 and 0 function that breaks like a light bulb.

The lifespan of a Memory Drive (just a bigger RAM chip) can be drastically shortened by filling it up and using it a few times .. 4 or 5 times .. and it is dead. Drop it like a Light Bulb and it is dead. On and on it goes with different injury so to speak to the light bulb and it dies.

With my iPhone battery it was going strong for about 5 years as I did not cycle it (drain and charge - expand and contract - heat and cool off) much .. but even that caught up with me and the battery (light bulb) performance just fell off a ledge and crashed.

Good news for me I had back up of the memory data ducks - hard drive 1s and 0s - somewhere else that was more durable to save my bacon. Swapped out the battery or in this discussion the SSD to get on with it.

You are getting faster performance and all they did was change the hard drive functions and because of that you must now purchase $1000s of investment dollars to upgrade your software that requires a massive rewrite.

That is why TTP will not do any Optimization Tools to make the Macintosh perform better ... since Apple ... is not worth spit.

Apple sells Bling - Bracelets and Make movies now.

Apple is not interested in the Steve Jobs quality innovation you are accustomed to as they do not have the brains for it.

Trendy Colors is what they are best at now.

If you aim low there is fewer disappointments ... and there are some people who just love Pink Guns for self defense.

The Pink Gun crowd is the new customer base for Apple as the Pink Gun crowd is running Apple.

Pink Guns are expensive you know as you need pink cleaning tools and pink Apps to measure their wear and Pink bracelets to accessorize your self with.

sumbuddie wear blind sea

Lifespan 28 Nov 2019 16:01 #11544

rjim,

You need to launch the Lifespan application. You can launch the Lifespan application in either of these two ways:

1. From the Lifespan menu bar item, choose Open Lifespan.

2. Open the Applications folder, and double-click the Lifespan application icon.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 28 Nov 2019 16:01 by micromattech3.

Lifespan 28 Nov 2019 19:34 #11545

re "Alan Mac Farlane" post=11542]

and also " Try to remember folks " that it is money money money that makes the world go round regardless if you are a shareholder of Micromat or Apple ...

Lifespan 28 Nov 2019 19:42 #11546

Micromat is privately owned, and so there are no shares.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Lifespan 28 Nov 2019 19:52 #11547

Yes, I understand that.
I did that then I saw no feedback of any sort.
I can't even tell if it is running. Nothing - nothing at all. The menus described in the manual do not show or anything else. Am I suppose to do something else? Should I not see some sort of feedback?

Lifespan 28 Nov 2019 20:04 #11548

Once you have the application installed, and have Enable Monitoring turned on, go to the Lifespan menu bar item. Click the men bar item, and you should see an entry for each of your drives, as is shown on page 6 of the manual. If the Lifespan menu bar item does not show at least your internal drive, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.

A friend who is a photographer and who has a lot of drives sent this screen capture:
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 28 Nov 2019 20:16 by micromattech3.

Lifespan 28 Nov 2019 20:18 #11549

Ah... that is part of the problem... it does not always show. I did get to show at least once. It saw the main drive and said it was 95%. There should be another way to get to this information. I had to be in the Finder mode to see the menu bar control, otherwise, it does not show.

At least I now know it is installed and checking. I'm surprised that I can't see that information when I'm in the application.

Oh well, thanks for helping.

Jim

Lifespan 28 Nov 2019 20:22 #11550

You are welcome.

The manual explains on pages 4 and 5 that the Lifespan application is used to configure preferences (page 4), and the Lifespan menu bar item is used to display the data regarding the drives (page 5).
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Lifespan 28 Nov 2019 21:40 #11551

can a damaged or failing ssd drive be repaired ?

and if so how ?

or do you just purchase/install a new ssd drive ?

Lifespan 28 Nov 2019 21:45 #11552

Lifespan detects whether the memory cells have been written to too many times. Once that happens, the SDD must be replaced.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Lifespan 29 Nov 2019 00:38 #11553

Walter wrote:
can a damaged or failing ssd drive be repaired ?

and if so how ?

or do you just purchase/install a new ssd drive ?

Hi Walter ... no repair to hard drives ... solid state drives ... RAM chips ... tis the little light bulb thingy. Break the light bulb no fix for it .. have to get a new light bulb.

If you want to install a new SSD in a MacBook Pro it is a little bit cheaper (just a few screws) then doing an install on a desk top iMac as you must cut the glue around the screen and peal it (the screen) off of the case and of course do not break it in the process.

I got a refurbished Intel 7 Mac Book pro as it has every thing a desktop iMac has (just get a keyboard, mouse, and plug in screen) and it is easier to repair.

My next home computer is one where all the parts can be accessed and replaced or upgraded.

I can not afford Apple any more.

They trash out my $1000 of dollars in software every 4 years.

My iMac is staying at Mohave and no more upgrades ... or no more word processing and printing. I made the mistake of moving on up to Mohave off from Yosemite I think it was ... before checking out the knowledge base here at the forum. I would have a smaller headache if I did.

sumbuddie wear blind sea

Lifespan 11 Dec 2019 16:24 #11646

I bought Life Span, although I found it very expensive, as I wanted to be sure to be warned if my Samsung Portable SSD T5 risked having a problem. This SSD I use to clone my MacBook Pro and have a bootable external drive in case of an emergency. I too expected a little more detail than just a life expectancy estimate. What I found out after is that to get Life Span to work, I have to uninstall the Samsung app, but then my SSD becomes unusable as it requires its app to be installed.When I install the Samsung app, it works but Life Span doesn't as it states that the drive is "not supported". Micromat Support has no other solution for me. So I have to live with this after paying 45 Euro. I agree that it could have been integrated in Techtool Pro.

Lifespan 11 Dec 2019 17:02 #11647

Aylwin,

Please send your observations to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Lifespan 11 Dec 2019 21:54 #11654

micromattech3 wrote:
Lifespan detects whether the memory cells have been written to too many times. Once that happens, the SDD must be replaced.

Just to rub in the point about Old School Hard Drives ... while it is another version of the light bulb that breaks. A hard drive only has to be isolated as to the 'Bad Blocks' .. damaged areas where the reader wand tip touched the memory medium as example.

TTP has very capable software to recover lost files, isolate bad blocks, test your hard drive condition and lots of other stuff to save your bacon and keep your hard drive going .. while they also eventually wear out and die.

When using a SSD ... please give strong consideration to having an old school Hard Drive as your back up data storage ... so when SHTF stuff happens .. you got every thing sorted and safely organized to keep business going.

And your TTP software is there to carry that along.

sumbuddie wear blind sea
Time to create page: 0.469 seconds