Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Drive Scope: Conflict between Attributes and Self Test

Drive Scope: Conflict between Attributes and Self Test 03 Jan 2020 05:13 #11710

I ran Drive Scope on an external drive. The "Attributes" tab shows 2 issues:
1] A 187 error Reported Uncorrectable and
2] A 188 Command Time Out.

However, when I run the "Self-Test" (Short Offline) I get a result of: Completed without error 100% and when I run the the "Self Test" (Extended Offline), I get a Completed Without Error 100% as well.
Can I rely on the Self Test as a measure of the reliability of the drive or should I go with the Attributes tab. If the Attributes tab is more important than the "Self Test", should I just disregard the Self Test and not use it. Otherwise, what's the point of the "Self Test"?

Finally, with respect to the "Smart Logs", I see that some inputs have 0 pages but others have "1" page. Is there a place where the page(s) can be viewed using the Application?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Drive Scope: Conflict between Attributes and Self Test 03 Jan 2020 14:33 #11711

The data that you see under "Attributes" is historic data from the drive's firmware. It refers to an events that took place in the past, and have been recorded.

The "Self-Test" (Short Offline)" and "Self Test" (Extended Offline) give the drive an opportunity to make some new errors, which it did not do.

The manual describes the SMART logs as being for NVMe drives. I do not have any of those, and am not able to see any more data by selecting any of the lines in the log that have 1 page as opposed to 0 pages. You could send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. about the logs. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: curtispsf, Skallagrimson

Drive Scope: Conflict between Attributes and Self Test 03 Jan 2020 14:41 #11712

So can I reasonably rely on and use these drives for now? They are 2.5" btw.

Thanks!

Drive Scope: Conflict between Attributes and Self Test 03 Jan 2020 14:59 #11714

You are welcome.

The idea is to run the program from time to time and see if the data are getting worse. Any drive can have some errors if it has an improper shutdown. The blocks that were involved in a failed attempt to read or write may get flagged as "pending" and may get resolved later, when the drive itself tests them.

Here is what the DriveScope manual says about the SMART attributes 187 and 188 (pages 31 and 32):

Attribute 187 - Reported Uncorrectable Errors
Lower Raw Value is better - Critical Attribute
This attribute tracks the number of uncorrectable read errors that could not be recovered during hardware ECC (Error Correcting Code) and is reported back to the host for all data access commands. If the raw value for this SMART attribute continues to grow, there is a very high probability of impending drive failure.
WARNING: If this attribute is elevated, backup the data immediately and consider replacing the device as soon as possible.

Attribute 188 - Command Timeout
Lower Raw Value is better - Critical Attribute
The number of aborted operations due to drive timeout (drive was unable to read or write properly in a reasonable time period). If the raw value for this attribute is far above zero, it becomes more likely that there is an issue with either the power supply or possibly oxidation of the data cable.
WARNING: If the raw value for this attribute is elevated, backup the data on this hard drive immediately and consider replacing the device as soon as possible.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 03 Jan 2020 15:00 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skallagrimson
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds