Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: External drives and Mojave

External drives and Mojave 19 Dec 2018 12:01 #10493

What's the situation with external drives under Mojave? I know that the SAT SMART driver needs to be installed.

On my old machine, an ancient MacBook Pro running High Sierra, the drives can be seen and checked, and Disk Utility reports SMART Status Verified.

On my new machine, a 2018 Mac Mini, Drive Scope currently does not see two of my three external drives, and Disk Utility says SNART Status Not Supported on all three of them.

The drives are connected into a Thunderbolt 1 dock. On the MacBook Pro this is connected by a cable directly into the computer. On the Mini, this cable has to go into a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter.

So there could be a hardware issue. But I am more inclined to think it is a software issue, perhaps with the Privacy permissions in Mojave.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

External drives and Mojave 19 Dec 2018 15:37 #10494

I would appreciate it if you would send a description of the relevant external drives to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

The SAT SMART driver supports only some models. There is a some information and a link to the devices supported on USB connections at:

github.com/kasbert/OS-X-SAT-SMART-Driver

It is also possible to suggest that the open source project support a new drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

External drives and Mojave 19 Dec 2018 16:21 #10495

I will send details as requested. But certainly the SAT SMART driver supports all my drives, since all works fine on my MacBook Pro running High Sierra. There must be some issue with Mojave or possible some third-party app on my Mojave machine.

External drives and Mojave 19 Dec 2018 17:17 #10496

That is something we will have to investigate. It would be surprising if the problem turned out to be Mojave compatibility, because the SMART test directly addresses hardware, and the SAT SMART driver does not seem to have been updated recently. On the other hand, the current version of DriveScope is not described as being compatible with Mojave.

Your cooperation is appreciated.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 19 Dec 2018 17:19 by micromattech3.

External drives and Mojave 19 Dec 2018 17:27 #10497

I reckoned that actual compatibility with Mojave was not likely to be a problem.

But possibly I have missed out some form of authorisation step. All the references I have seen simply say that in High Sierra the driver needs to be authorised in the Security and Privacy preference pane. I have not seen any mention of EXACTLY where the authorisation is needed nor of whether it's exactly the same in Mojave.

I did notice that some old software appears to be disabled, and that one such item is Unsigned - com.jmicron.JMicronATA. I believe jmicron has something to do with external drives, but I did not feel like enabling this without knowing more.

External drives and Mojave 19 Dec 2018 17:37 #10498

Thanks for the additional details.

Please mention the unsigned software when you contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

I have just confirmed that DriveScope 1.2.2 is fully compatible with Mojave, despite the system requirements in the online store. The beta administrator mentioned that the problem your have reported could lie with the Thunderbolt dock through the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adaptor.

The SAT SMART drive is supposed to be fully compatible with Mojave, despite no recent revisions.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

External drives and Mojave 19 Dec 2018 18:38 #10499

OK, I note that the adapter could be the issue. That does surprise me rather, particularly as it is the Apple adapter. When I have time I will experiment further, plugging the USB drives directly into the Mini.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the SAT SMART driver from within the latest Drive Scope, and restarting. I did notice (as I expected) that software from Micromat had been blocked from loading. So I allowed it and restarted. But unfortunately that did not help.

External drives and Mojave 19 Dec 2018 20:43 #10500

Thanks for the additional details. Please send your findings to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you have not already done so. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

External drives and Mojave 23 Feb 2019 21:13 #10794

When I was tidying up other things, I took a new look at this situation.

Presumably the SAT SMART driver has to be loaded in order for the external drives to be recognised.

But (in System Information > Extensions) the kext is shown as loadable but NOT loaded.

I'm not quite clear how one loads it. I understood that there should have been a request to allow it in the Security and Privacy System Preference. But as far as I am concerned I never got such a request, and the extension was not marked as "prevented from loading" in that system preference. Yes, I know one is only shown that message for 30 minutes after restart.

Is there any other way to get it to load? Or anything to force it to be noticed?

External drives and Mojave 23 Feb 2019 21:28 #10795

It is likely that a restart is required for the SAT SMART driver to load. We have a detailed and illustrated Knowledge Base article about loading the SAT SMART driver.

Installing SAT SMART Driver in macOS 10.13 High Sierra

If the driver does not load after you have followed the instructions above and have performed a restart, please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email on Monday. Also, please note that not all external drives are supported by the SAT SMART driver. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

External drives and Mojave 23 Feb 2019 21:36 #10796

Are the instructions the same for High Sierra and Mojave?

I have tried a restart and got no further but I will try again. I did NOT get any of the indicated messages at any point, but the driver got installed.

I know that the drives are supported, as I had no trouble when they were attached to another machine running High Sierra. It's only with the new machine and Mojave that problems have occurred.

External drives and Mojave 23 Feb 2019 21:48 #10797

Thanks for the update.

I do not know why you would get a different result with Mojave. Please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . The company re-opens on Monday. Thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

External drives and Mojave 24 Feb 2019 13:08 #10798

It looks as though I was completely wrong in thinking that it was an issue with the driver. Because I finally got round to plugging one drive directly into my Mac and DriveScope recognised.

So it seems likely that the issue is with the dock and the adapter. However DriveScope worked fine with the dock on a machine that had Thunderbolt 1, so did not need the extra Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter required by my new Mac. But this is an Apple adapter, so I'm surprised there are problems. And I would be interested in an explanation as to why the data is not getting through.

External drives and Mojave 24 Feb 2019 13:53 #10799

Thanks for the update, and it is good to see that Drive Scope can now see the drive.

I cannot explain why the drive is not recognized when the new Apple adapter is added to the setup. I would appreciate it if you would contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Having a record of your observation and perhaps an Apple System Information report may be helpful to other users. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

External drives and Mojave 24 Feb 2019 15:08 #10800

I can't see why either, but that was the suggestion made by a Micromat representative in this forum 19th December at 17:37

Anyway, as I gather more information I will report it via email.

External drives and Mojave 24 Feb 2019 17:32 #10801

Thanks for your cooperation.

It was the beta administrator for TechTool Pro (and Drive Scope) who suggested to me that the problem could be with an adapter, as mentioned in posting #10498, above. Thanks for pointing that out.

I will have to pay more attention to adapters. There are puzzling cases in which one would expect to be able to use a Thunderbolt adapter, and it fails, and another case (probably at MacInTouch.com) which I regret not saving in which an almost comical collection of at least five adapters actually did work.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

External drives and Mojave 25 Feb 2019 08:13 #10806

Since you mention Macintouch, I am wondering if you can help or advise regarding a problem I have with their site. I realise that this would be a favour, nothing to do with DriveScope or Micromat, so feel free to ignore this request. I have sent a couple of emails to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. but got no reply., which is why I am asking around

I have an account on the MacinTouch Community site and am logged in. Up till recently, I had no trouble in posting or replying to posts. But recently, I just get told "You have insufficient privileges to reply here." Do you have any idea how to resolve this?

External drives and Mojave 25 Feb 2019 10:49 #10807

I do not know of any other current way to contact MacInTouch. Now that you point it out, it is clear that the one kind of computer-related problem you cannot post to MacInTouch is one that involves being able to post to MacInTouch.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

External drives and Mojave 25 Feb 2019 12:54 #10808

Thanks. That's about what I feared.

External drives and Mojave 25 Feb 2019 14:02 #10809

Try contacting MacInTouch using a different email account, in case your usual one is being filtered as spam.

As a last resort, there is a P.O. Box:

macintouch.com/support.html
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds