Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Checkmate reporting false file corruption

Checkmate reporting false file corruption 23 Sep 2018 15:08 #10156

As you can see in the attachment, Checkmate 1.1.8 (3317) is showing massive file corruption when there is no corruption at all. This is due to Checkmate not recognizing Dropbox files that are "Smart Sync'd"; "Smart Sync is a Dropbox feature that helps you save space on your hard drive. Access every file and folder in your Dropbox account from your computer, using virtually no hard drive space." Ergo, the smart sync'd file is only a placeholder on the local computer. So Checkmate needs an update to avoid falsely reporting these files or for now, I've excluded the entire Dropbox file directory.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Checkmate reporting false file corruption 23 Sep 2018 16:31 #10157

Thanks for your clear and detailed report.

I am not sure whether Checkmate is accessing files that are in your Dropbox, since the screen capture shows files on the volume "Main".

The fact that Checkmate has flagged a file does not mean that it is necessarily corrupt, only that it does not meet the published specifications for the structure of a file of that type. The only way to know for certain is to try to open a flagged file using an application that should be able to open it.

I would appreciate it if you would send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. It seems odd to me that no other user has mentioned Dropbox, and you have raised an interesting question. Thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Checkmate reporting false file corruption 21 Jan 2019 21:06 #10561

Hello

I have the same issue.

This will only show up if users are using "Smart Sync" with files in "Online-Only" mode. In this mode, Dropbox keeps a reference to a file locally, not the whole file (when you open one of those files, it is downloaded first, then opened).

Clearly Checkmate sees these files as not fitting the "normal" requirements for the file type, and flags them as "possibly corrupt".

I have excluded my Dropbox folders in the meantime.

Checkmate reporting false file corruption 21 Jan 2019 21:47 #10562

Thanks for your report.

I was given the following information. I do not use Dropbox myself:

Dropbox can be configured in such a way that any file uploaded to your Dropbox is also saved in a folder at /Users/User_Name/Dropbox.

The File Structures test in TechTool Pro is not examining the files in your Dropbox online, but the files in the folder on your local drive at /Users/User_Name/Dropbox.

Using the Checkmate preferences to exclude the Dropbox folders is a useful tip. We also recommend excluding the Time Machine volume, since the original files would be checked on their own volumes.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds