Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Checkmate reports Partition Map Errors on encrypted drives

Checkmate reports Partition Map Errors on encrypted drives 13 Jul 2017 16:29 #8442

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION

* MacOS 10.13 Public Beta 1 & 2
* Checkmate 1.1.6
* TechTool Pro 9.5.1
* Drives
1. Boot drive SSD formatted APFS (encrypted) but no partition map type is identified in and utility I have. It was formatted by the MacOS 10.13 Installer
2. Internal disk drive formatted APFS (Encrypted) with GUID partition map and was formatted by Disk Utility
3. external disk drive 1 partition formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the other formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted) with GUID partition map and was partitioned by Disk Utility.

Checkmate reports partition map errors on drives 2 and 3, TechTool Pro 9.5.1 finds no error on either drive. I have every reason to believe the TechTool Pro analysis but I am curious why the erroneous Checkmate report occurs. I was wondering if the encryption might be a contributing factor.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Checkmate reports Partition Map Errors on encrypted drives 13 Jul 2017 17:12 #8443

JoemikeB,

I am going to have to ask about the interesting questions you have posed.

It may be the case that TechTool Pro and Checkmate are not using the same code to check the partition map. It is possible that one could check the partition map and flag it as defective if a volume format that is unknown to the code, such as APFS, is found, and it is possible that other code ignores the volume format. I do not think the encryption is a factor.

As for the report on drive 3 from Checkmate, I have had reports of partition map errors from Checkmate that were not confirmed by TechTool Pro. In some cases, it seems that there was a very minor error in the partition map, which got fixed automatically by the system software during a reboot (it was noted in the All Messages log).

There was an earlier case in which the partition map "error" was that the sum of the sizes of the volumes plus the partition map did not equal the size of the device. You might find it of interest, especially the gpt command in Terminal that allows you to see a text display of some of the partition map:

Disc Utility is produces inconsistent results with TTP 8 (eDrive) & Checkmate
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 13 Jul 2017 17:12 by micromattech3.

Checkmate reports Partition Map Errors on encrypted drives 13 Jul 2017 17:20 #8444

JoemikeB,

All I can say is that both TechTool Pro and Checkmate are going to have to be updated for compatibility with High Sierra and the APFS volume format. I would not spend a lot of time puzzling over contradictions between two programs that will both require an update.

I hope you find the Terminal commands helpful. I wish there were a more detailed display of partition maps, one that would let us see just what got changed when Disk Utility or its code used by the system software makes a repair.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds