Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Checkmate 1.1.4 Seems Stalls

Checkmate 1.1.4 Seems Stalls 30 Sep 2015 13:38 #6664

Recently I have noticed that the Checkmate seems to stop it says something to the effect that 'backupd is running.' This says to me that Checkmate stops when Time Machine is active, though I noticed the same message when I powered up my computer this morning, and my backup drive wasn't turned on.

I also encountered this message yesterday, but I was backing up at the time, so it had context.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Checkmate 1.1.4 Seems Stalls 30 Sep 2015 14:21 #6665

Checkmate pauses its operation whenever a disk repair utility or any backup program is open, or the backup process used by Time Machine is active. This is intentional, and was added when it was determined that it was necessary to prevent conflicts between the programs. As soon as backupd has finished making the Time Machine backup, Checkmate can resume.

Here is an old screen capture of the dialog box that appears when the SuperDuper! backup program is running:
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Checkmate 1.1.4 Seems Stalls 30 Sep 2015 15:06 #6666

micromattech3 wrote:
Checkmate pauses its operation whenever a disk repair utility or any backup program is open, or the backup process used by Time Machine is active. This is intentional, and was added when it was determined that it was necessary to prevent conflicts between the programs. As soon as backupd has finished making the Time Machine backup, Checkmate can resume.

Here is an old screen capture of the dialog box that appears when the SuperDuper! backup program is running:

That I understand, though my issue was that Checkmate showed the dialog when there not only wasn't a backup, but my Time Machine drive wasn't even on (I only do a backup once or twice a day).

Checkmate 1.1.4 Seems Stalls 30 Sep 2015 15:20 #6667

Checkmate pauses when the backupd process used by Time Machine is running, regardless of what drives are available and how you have Time Machine configured to run. If you have automatic backups on, the backupd-helper process is running, but that does not pause Checkmate.

You can see whether backupd is running by opening Activity Monitor, located in /Applications/Utilities.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Checkmate 1.1.4 Seems Stalls 17 Aug 2016 15:51 #7492

I get the same message even though I do not use TimeMachine or any other automated backup.

Checkmate 1.1.4 Seems Stalls 17 Aug 2016 16:37 #7493

Having Disk Utility, TechTool Pro, or a backup program causes Checkmate to display the dialog box about the pausing of its tests. The next time the dialog box appears, check the text in the dialog box, which identifies what program Checkmate is referring to.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Checkmate 1.1.4 Seems Stalls 17 Aug 2016 17:07 #7494

It specifically identifies TimeMachine as the conflict.

Checkmate 1.1.4 Seems Stalls 17 Aug 2016 17:40 #7496

The name of the process used by Time Machine is backupd (it also uses mdworker). If that process is open, you will see the dialog box. You can see what processes are open by launching Activity Monitor, located in /Applications/Utilities.

I am going to check the name of the process when I make a planned manual Time Machine backup later today.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 17 Aug 2016 17:49 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds