Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Let Checkmate select external hard drives only

Let Checkmate select external hard drives only 12 Jun 2014 13:04 #5536

Hi

I have just started using Checkmate and I've got a question. I have a lot of external hard drives attached to my iMac - I would like Checkmate to check them individually at night (controlled by me) so I intend using the "Exclusions" in the Preferences.

My question is - can I remove the iMac internal HD from a test, so it just tests one external hard drive at a time?

Mike
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Let Checkmate select external hard drives only 12 Jun 2014 13:27 #5537

The Exclusions pane of Checkmate's Preferences allows you to exclude a particular file, folder, or drive from the File Structures test, a volume from the Volume Structures test, or a device from the Surface Scan. You would have to supply exclusions for the drives you do not want to be tested, and then keep changing the exclusions so that eventually all of the tests would be run. I do not see any advantage to such an approach. If the Surface Scan does not get completed one night on a particular drive, it resumes later where it left off. I think that you would be better off just letting the program work for at least a week or so, and then look at the logs to see how the tests are being run.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Let Checkmate select external hard drives only 12 Jun 2014 14:45 #5538

Thanks for the advice, but you didn't answer my question.

Whatever I decide, I wanted to know if it's ok to exclude the main iMac HD from the test at any time while it tests an attached external hard drive. I wasn't sure if it always needed to include the internal HD on the machine it was installed on.

I would assume it is ok - but thought it wise to ask.

I do think you have a point though - still working out how best to use the software - but it would be nice to know if it's ok to exclude the main internal HD.

Mike

Let Checkmate select external hard drives only 12 Jun 2014 16:49 #5539

Thanks for the additional details.

There is no problem with excluding the internal drive, which I assume contains the active boot volume, while other drives are being tested.

It is preferable to let the Volume Structures test for the active boot volume run at night, as it usually does all by itself. If you frequently exclude the active boot volume at night, and do not have the exclusion in place during the day, then when the Volume Structures test runs on the active boot volume, the volume must be "frozen" for a few minutes, and the computer works only very slowly. A dialog box allows warns you when that is about to happen, and allows you to cancel the test.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds