Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: WHY do I need both Checkmate and TechToolPro 7 installed and running at the same time ?

WHY do I need both Checkmate and TechToolPro 7 installed and running at the same time ? 22 May 2014 13:39 #5472

I always assumed that TechToolPro was the be it all to end all utilities i should buy and use to help avoid those who know when catastrophes that seem to bit all of us at one time or another..

Now, Micromat have added Checkmate on top of TechToolPro.

Why are both needed to be running at the same time ?

How much CPU is drained by both running at the same time ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

WHY do I need both Checkmate and TechToolPro 7 installed and running at the same time ? 22 May 2014 14:46 #5473

Most of the time, the programs are not running at the same time. The background processes in TechTool Pro use very little memory. The highest memory use takes place when Directory Backup makes a backup of a disk directory.

With the exception of the testing of the startup volume, most of the tests in Checkmate run when you are not other wise using your Macintosh (a dialog box alerts you that the test is about to begin, and allows you to skip it). You can see how much memory is being used by using Activity Monitor, located in /Applications/Utilities. With the exception of the memory test, which tests all free memory, Checkmate's tests are not memory-intensive. In some cases, the amount of memory made available to a process depends on the other processes that are running and how much memory they are using.

When the TechTool Pro application, Disk Utility, or any of a number of backup utilities are open, Checkmate suspends its testing.

The Surface Scan in TechTool Pro has the advantage that it can attempt to tell you what file is using an unremapped bad block, if the block is part of a file. The Surface Scan in Checkmate has the advantage that it can be interrupted if you start using the computer, and then resume where it left off when you are not using it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 22 May 2014 14:57 by micromattech3.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds