Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Triggering A Checkmate Scan

Triggering A Checkmate Scan 08 Mar 2014 21:49 #5257

This is perhaps an odd question, but I was wondering it could be made possible to engage Checkmate, as well as to choose the drive it starts with.

The reason I ask i that I have a hard dive, which I have erased because of bad blocks kept turning up. I don't want to return it (it is under warranty, though I don't want to go though all the bs) but if bad blocks keep being detected, I will.

The reason I know that they're there is, before my last wipe, both TechTool Pro 7 and Drive Genius 3 detected them.

The thing is, it appears that Checkmate starts with the computer's drive, before moving on to external drives. Seeing that my computer has a 500 GB and my external is 2 TB it could take awhile.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Triggering A Checkmate Scan 08 Mar 2014 22:12 #5258

It is not possible to choose the drive to be scanned first, but you can start Checkmate's testing by holding down the Option key while using the Checkmate icon in the menu bar. The Option key adds a Start Testing choice to the menu.

The drive should be replaced. Please see:

Surface Scan
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 08 Mar 2014 22:13 by micromattech3.

Triggering A Checkmate Scan 08 Mar 2014 22:16 #5259

I am almost in agreement. The reason that I want to do the Checkmate scan is that I have encountered drives that had more bad blocks that they should, wiped them a few times, and they have passed TTP7 as well as Drive Genius.

As I said, if I can't get a pass out of it, I will do just that.

Thanks for the method to start Checkmate, by the way. I wasn't aware of it.

Triggering A Checkmate Scan 08 Mar 2014 22:31 #5260

You are welcome.

If you read the lengthy posting to which I linked above, you will find that any test like the Surface Scan cannot find a bad block that has been remapped to a spare block (the firmware of the drive ensures that), so if that happens, the test will not find the remapped bad block the next time you run it.

The reason there are bad blocks is almost certainly that the magnetic media is flaking off the platter, and may do so again in the future. The drive simply cannot be trusted. I urge you to replace it. Save the result of the Surface Scan to use as part of your warranty claim.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds